• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted August 31, 2011 - 06:23 PM

I was able to get it running by jumping across the solenoid and even was able to drive it around the yard.:dancingbanana:

That's good news Chuck! Did the engine smoke any? Even if it did, many old engines that have sat a long period will smoke for the 1st hour or so, then stop smoking as the rings loosen in the lands of the piston.

#17 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 07:24 AM

That's good news Chuck! Did the engine smoke any? Even if it did, many old engines that have sat a long period will smoke for the 1st hour or so, then stop smoking as the rings loosen in the lands of the piston.

Didn't smoke at all. I drove it around for 15 min yesterday. It drives good. I'm going to try and get it cleaned up more and get the mower deck on this weekend.

Did some more work with the wiring, the key switch and the solenoid don't seem to be working right.

#18 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted September 02, 2011 - 07:39 AM

Replaced the solenoid on the Cub 1210 last night, bought the same wrong switch that was already in there. Going to pick up a new switch tomorrow. While testing the solenoid i accidentally started the tractor and then had to scramble to get it shut off, I had most the wiring unhooked. This thing runs good, when it fired up last night it was with out choke, and with the throttle at idle, it hardly cranked and took off. I am amazed.

#19 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 09:38 AM

Got the key switch taken care of, but the pto doesn't work so I still more wiring gremlins to chase down. Yesterday my wife drove it around some and since all you have to do is turn a key ( all the other tractors have small trick to make them start) she claimed the cub as hers. when she started it it has a little fuel leak out (i think the needle is stuck open) after she drove it it was surging/hunting so it needs the carb cleaned out again, but i expected to have to do that since the fuel system was so dirty to start.

#20 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 05:45 AM

Sound like progress. Glad it is working for you. Sounds like the wife has plans for the tractor.:bigrofl:

#21 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted September 09, 2011 - 02:36 PM

Got the carb cleaned up again and its running good, Wiring gremlin is growing, new key switch wont kill the motor now. I have to see why it's not grounding the magneto like its supposed to.

I am going to trouble shoot the pto this weekend.

#22 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 08:47 AM

got the wiring fixed on Saturday but want to check the charging circuit. PTO works, check out and greased the deck, then installed it and gave it a test pass. I'm going to clean p the mower deck over the winter. This will be a back up mower.