• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 14, 2011 - 08:14 PM

so i might rebuild my kohler k532 and im nervous, really nervous. any tips on what and what not to do when i rebuild?

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 08:28 PM

Start by getting the service manual for the engine. I don't know if we have it in the manuals section or not. Once you get it, read it, read it again and read it again to get familiar with everything. Take your time, patience will be your best friend as rushing a rebuild is only asking for trouble.

#3 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 14, 2011 - 08:54 PM

ive got the service manual. and i know my one cylinder wall has a slight scuff mark. and i know i can buy a snap on tool for my drill to hone the cylinder, but is a slight scoff worth it?

#4 ncb OFFLINE  

ncb
  • Member No: 3755
  • 51 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 09:54 PM

If you have the engine apart anyways you will be glad you did. It works out to only 20 or 30 minutes tops , new rings and check the piston for corresponding damage. look down the cylinder and make sure it isnt oval, hard to see by eye , can look fine near the top but be ovaled out farther down near the center of the piston travel .

#5 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 14, 2011 - 10:07 PM

now if i use the 440 stones they have wont that make the cylinder wall rougher? right now there smoother then glass.

#6 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted August 15, 2011 - 05:07 AM

now if i use the 440 stones they have wont that make the cylinder wall rougher? right now there smoother then glass.

When you rebuild the engine and put new rings in, you need to rough up the cylinder walls to get rid of that smooth glaze that the old rings made.

#7 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted August 15, 2011 - 10:19 AM

Dont waste your time guessing the bore size

#8 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted August 15, 2011 - 12:26 PM

:iagree:Have bore checked by a pro if you don't have the equipment to do it yourself. Take plenty of pictures of disassembly as the manual doesn't always show everything needed to put back together.

#9 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 15, 2011 - 03:41 PM

You can buy a cylinder hone online for $25 or less... or, you can try using a heavy wood dowel with a cut lengthwize and slip in a piece of heavy sandpaper or scotchbrite and try using that.

U S

#10 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted August 16, 2011 - 07:59 AM

If the engine was smoking, and using oil badly, have a machinist check your bores and pistons! They need to be round, and the piston ring grooves can't be worn either or you are wasting all your efforts. Kohlers benefit greatly from a perfect crank to cylinder bore alignment . You may need to have it bored if the holes are egg shaped too much. So my best advice is have it checked first. Good luck, its a great engine when everything is correct!

#11 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted August 16, 2011 - 09:05 AM

I have to agree. Have a machine shop mic everything and they will be able to bore over if needed and hone the cylinder.
Do not guess at this stuff. You could wind up with a basket of parts after only a few hours of operation.

#12 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 16, 2011 - 09:33 AM

there is a k582 brand new on craigslist for under a grand. machine shops by me get stupid, absolutely stupid labor prices. one gets 80 an hour another gets 120 an hour.

#13 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 16, 2011 - 09:36 AM

also i ran it last night for a while drove it around for a good hour full bore, it barely blew light clouds of smoke out. ive been putting some ATF in my gas and oil and i think its just a stuck ring. now i burned about 1/8" of oil on the dipstick. thats driving around with the plow wheel weights and me, being a grand total of over 3/4 ton. so then i did some googling and found out MMO can help unstick rings. so i took the plug out of the side that burn oil and glug glug glug, it got filled with MMO. so in 3 days ill drain it and run it and see how it goes. but now i need something to ride around on in the mean time.

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 16, 2011 - 09:58 AM

This is an interesting thread. If it were me I would find a machine shop with small engine experience and at least have them measure the engine parts and advise on what needs to be done. I don't have confidence in my ability to measure to the required level of accuracy and precision. I would be tempted to grab a new unmolested engine for 1000$ and be done with it. With the price of parts for a Kohler twin you will be spending a high percentage of that for a major rebuild. By the way what is MMO?

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,485 Thanks
  • 39,719 posts

Posted August 16, 2011 - 05:22 PM

Marvel Mystery Oil - MMO