sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 07:32 PM

I am heading up PA way end of the week.....have commited to 1 mf10 that I posted pics earlier....but may pick up another one as well. Figure I could take the best of the two to make the kteeper then sale the other......both are running and capable of mowing etc.

Will they fit sideways on my trailer? I have a 6 x 16 dual axle as well.. ....but it is not fun pulling it all over the world.....the smaller trailer is much easier to pull so would rather go that way if i can.

The 5 x 8 has 12" sides and a lift gate on the back......it is a heavy duty trailer so weight is not a concern.

Your input would be appreciated.

#2 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 07:42 PM

I don't think you'll get 2 -10's in that 5x8.
They won't go sideways within the sideboards.

Take the big trailer, and see what other goodies you can fill it with in your
travels.:smile1:

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 07:45 PM

The little one is too small for sure. Like Will said, may be more goodies yet to be found, so take more trailer anyway.

#4 Frank Morris OFFLINE  

Frank Morris

• Member No: 5542
  • 11 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 07:51 PM

If you can manhandle them sidways, I say yes.if your taking a truck or van, why not put one in there, if your taking a car, you might be asking a lot from it, hopefully a trans cooler and some horsepower. with trailer and decks you'll be at least 2500lbs, edited, I sure thought the 10s were less than 5 foot, anybody know the length

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 08:12 PM

Just went & measured my MF12 to be sure. The bottom of the bumper is slightly lower than 12", but even if you put a 2x4 under the tires, it still won't fit. Tire to tire outsides measure 5'&3".

#6 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 08:36 PM

I dont see the problem..your just not thinking vertical.

#7 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 09:01 PM

Here are 2 I brought home in my 5x8.........it was a big pain in the rump.........If your sides are strong and low enough, you can put them sideways....

Posted Image

#8 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 09:06 PM

How about 1 sideways with the air out of the tires and the other facing it?? I have an expedition 4x4 so it can pull either trailer....just a big trailer to pull that many miles (over 1000 miles total trip) and alot of gas to pull it. What do the mowers weigh?? Both will have decks....and one with a snow plow.....sure wish I had sold this trailer and bought the 5 x 10 with 2 ft mesh sides.....have been looking for one but missed the last two used ones that popped up.

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 09:12 PM

You might squish them in with the tires flat, but it will be a job. Not sure on the weight, but with deck, likely 850+ each. Then the long snowblade. You really need to pull the larger trailer. I know, I know, lots more fuel, but I think you'll regret trying it with the smaller trailer.

#10 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 09:36 PM

Thanks all......after looking at the specs in the owners manual.....I think I will take the larger trailer.....now just need to find some more goodies to bring back :-)

Anyone know what these mowers weight??? I could not find it in any of the literature I have read.

thanks,

#11 Frank Morris OFFLINE  

Frank Morris

• Member No: 5542
  • 11 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 09:48 PM

about 675 lbs, by specs, never ure if thats with or without deck, they never say, sheesh, FM

#12 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 10:01 PM

Thanks all......after looking at the specs in the owners manual.....I think I will take the larger trailer.....now just need to find some more goodies to bring back :-)

Anyone know what these mowers weight??? I could not find it in any of the literature I have read.

thanks,

Two 10's, two decks, one blade.... You will be getting fairly close to a ton. Maybe 1700 lbs. I hope you have a big engine in the Ford.

#13 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 10:33 PM

It pulls my yanmar tractor and fel with the bush hog. Tractor and fel weigh around 1700 plus..then add the bushhog....figure 2000lbs plus.
I just don't push it......going up is empty....coming back just have to go a little slower and deliberate. I can not imagine pulling these things without brakes on the trailer. Mine has them on both axles. Gas stations sure going to love me!

Sounds like a mf10 weighs almost as much as my yanmar 146 with a diesel motor and 4 ft belly mower.......sure did not look as big when I went to try it out.

Thanks for the input.....

#14 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 15, 2011 - 10:02 AM

Hello Sacsr, now will these be your 2nd and third tractors, or just your first and second? :)

My first tractor trip was to buy a MF 12 and an MF 8 with a 4x8 trailer. I mounted "ramps" sideways on the trailer to make sure the wheels would be on a solid surface. The MF 12 went on the front to load the tongue, and the MF 8 went to the rear to clear the mower decks. I did have the fronts facing in different directions so that the deflectors on the decks would not touch. The actual contact area of the tires was just at the edge of the 4 ft trailer width. I did have some concerns about the weight, and the way it was split fore and aft over the axle, but it seemed to ride well for for the 3 hour drive home. Here are some pictures.

Massey tractors 016.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• Massey tractors 020.jpg
  • Massey tractors 024.jpg
  • Massey tractors 022.jpg

#15 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted August 15, 2011 - 11:37 AM