16 replies to this topic

#1 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 01:19 PM

How do you all make and use a compost? I have started somthing :) but sure would like to do it right :) Thanks for any help!!!!

#2 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 04:23 PM

I run my plants through a shredder without the screen, then layer in some dirt, sometimes adding some Nitrogen fertilizer to the upper layers to help it compost faster. Bins or piles should be 3' in diameter (or square) minimum for proper heating, mine aren't quite that big, but works for me! I don't worry about getting it completely decomposed before mixing it into the planting beds, it'll finish in the garden. ~~ grnspot
  • Alc and speedyg have said thanks

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 04:37 PM

I run my plants through a shredder without the screen,

I never thought of taking the screen out ! I try feeding green plants and it will clog up in just a few minutes of use , then they would have to be cleaned :wallbanging::wallbanging::wallbanging:
Can't wait to follow your instructions on making compost, Al

#4 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 05:00 PM

What about plants that have want to seed? do you get alot of unwanted growth? grnspot, when you say" mine" do you have more than one, and do you move the compost in stages so to speek?

#5 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 06:48 PM

This is the shredder I use for green stuff: Picture 183.jpg

I have a row of bins about 30" wide & high, one for collecting, three more for composting.

Only pic I could find of the bins; (L to R) first is an 8' mulch bin, collection bin, 3 compost bins, dirt bin & sand bin. The dirt bin is for composting & mixing potting soil. Sand is for general use.

A "hot" compost will kill the seeds! I try to shred before seeds are mature enough to sprout. ~~ grnspot

Attached Thumbnails

• Pictures 130 (Small).jpg

#6 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted August 16, 2011 - 05:57 PM

grnspot, Thanks for taking the time to post pics and giving a detailed explination for me! I think my little pile of dirt ain't going to get er done. :) Nice place!

#7 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 01:03 AM

Do you guys warer your compost?

#8 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 07:24 AM

I wet it down as I turn it, and wet each layer as I add new stuff.

My compost setup is made from old pallets, I have 2 sections, one is kept empty, then when I turn it or add a large batch of grass, I pitch fork from one side to the other.

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,656 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 11:20 AM

I sometimes pile up calf stall cleanings for compost just by the barn. Rain runs off & keeps the compost wet enough. I use my FEL about 2x/month to turn & roll the pile. I also add nitrogen fertilize as it requires it for a fast good complete breakdown.

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted September 02, 2011 - 07:37 PM

Posted Image

I run my plants through a shredder without the screen,

I never thought of taking the screen out ! I try feeding green plants and it will clog up in just a few minutes of use , then they would have to be cleaned :wallbanging::wallbanging::wallbanging:
Can't wait to follow your instructions on making compost, Al
I cut up my still green corn stalks weeds ect last night using the chipper/shredder and it worked GREAT !!!! Didn't have to stop and clean the screens !!

#11 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted September 02, 2011 - 09:28 PM

I built one 8+10 this summer and was doing good, Till the power pole fell and I had to remove it so the power co. could set new pole. Then I got LUCKY a Vet Clinic about 1 mile down the road told me to come get all I needed already to go in garden FREE so now I haul by truck loads.

#12 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted September 04, 2011 - 10:59 AM

I just whack together bins out of old pallets and dump stuff in them so it rots. I turn it once in a while, when I feel like it. I don't usually water compost, but it's been so dry this summer that I have been.

For the mix I dump in yard waste, kitchen waste (vegetable only), ash from the fire pit, and mix in some top-soil and manure if/when I have any left over. I always leave some finished compost in the mix as well, since it seems to hurry things up a bit.

I use two bins most of the time, one with well-rotted compost ready to use and one with fresh stuff being added. Not this year though...with the yard being ripped apart and all this landscaping going on, the well-rotted pile was gone by mid-June and the other pile is looking a little neglected.

#13 Rozwell Ranch OFFLINE  

Rozwell Ranch

• Member No: 2224
  • 5 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 12:29 AM

Compost ~ Mulch Bunker with removable ends.jpg

3 times a year, I cut and collect about an acre of alfalfa and grass for my compost pit. My F510 John Deere with a nice deep deck to does the initial cutting. When the material has dried to the right moisture content, I collect it with my JD 140 H3 with 48" deck and trailer type vacuum system. I use staked pallets for a silage pit style unit and mix a little dirt in as I go. A Case 195 garden tractor with a Kwik Way Loader and fork tine bucket is used to turn and mix the materials.

Attached Thumbnails

• Harvesting Alfalfa & Grass for Compost.jpg
  • Harvesting Alfalfa & Grass for Compost Pit.jpg

#14 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted September 13, 2011 - 01:22 AM

I am bearying my compost under the ground? sounds like you all are making piles above ground. does the compost break down? it seems like it wouldtake years?

#15 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted September 13, 2011 - 05:13 AM

speedyg , last year my neighbors started giving me grass clippings when the bagged . I let the pile grow and grow , and didn't do anything with it , ended up with a big pile of dry grass clippings at the end of the season.:wallbanging: This year I mixed dirt in as they gave it to me and turned the pile too . This is working out much better , you can feel the heat as it's working and seems the grass/dirt mix gets smaller in just a few days !!
  • speedyg said thank you