Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 08:29 AM

We have our church festival this weekend and had an unexpected rain last night which put a dampener on things , today looks like rain all day for it . Also looks like rain on and off all week . Hope it changes for the tractor shows at Kinzer's and LAGC next weekend .

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 08:37 AM

I'll take that rain too. When Brian was here, all was lush & green. All different now. My lawn crunches when walked on, and weeds are beginning to wilt. My silage corn is big & grew fine, but has dried down so much in the last few days that I may have to run a sprinkler on the silage as I fill the pit! If too dry, the silage can't properly ferment. Theyu had called for an inch oif rain for us yesterday, but it went right over us without any rain at all, sans for I saw a couple drops hit the ground. Just after passing over, it regained strength & east of us got tons of rain. So dry here you can't do anything without being enveloped in a dust cloud. But still, I'm thankful for the decent crop we pulled out despite the weird year of weather.

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 08:51 AM

I'll take that back " anyone looking for rain please help yourself " We had 3.68" the last 24 hours so pretty sure we have enough for the rest of the week , we don't need to be greedy .

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 08:56 AM

I know we need the rain but it had all summer to rain and now a week before the show and I want to get all the girls prettied up and it has been raining pretty much non stop.

The 10 day forecast is calling for scattered thunder showers next weekend, but the weather predictors can't get two hours in advance right most of the time so I am taking the 10 day with a grain of salt.

#5 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 09:45 AM

We have only had ab out 1 1/4" of rain since the 4th of July. It been in the 90's and 100's right up until this last week. The sand ground corn has died 2 weeks ago, thank god we got rain 3 times a day last spring. My garden is a mess nothing grew right, just got my first tomato last nite, and they been planted since May. The sweet corn was tasteless. Most stuff just got stunted, due to the cold rain and then the oven type temps. On the good part, i havent had the mow the yard for a month.

#6 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 05:33 PM

I'll take about 24 to 30 inches of that rain if you can send a couple of inches a day down this way. Haven't had but 2 1/4 inches since the end of September last year. We finally broke our consecutive days of 100 plus degrees yesterday as it only got up to 98. Was good to work outside all day and it felt good. We've had 60 days of 100 or better and 44 of them in a row. It's 104 right now.

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 06:22 PM

tinner I wish I could , we had rain here most of the day for our festival , stopped with about an hour to go , we had a lot of unsold food , we try to sell as much as we can in bulk at the end , I bought 3 lb of roast pork and 6 lb of uncooked dough from the fry dough stand . Made it into rolls for our pork sandwiches supper .