5 replies to this topic

#1 Petenpole OFFLINE  

Petenpole

• Contributor
  • Member No: 70
  • 145 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 06:39 AM

Yesterday I bought a 1655 with an engine off a JD 318, the guy who sold it said it was an 18HP Onan and it is in fact an Onan that is running so rich you would have thought it was a diesel. But thats not the biggest problem I have. And here goes.

Sitting on the tractor the left pedal has absolutely no resistance and doesnt appear to have any effect when pressed.

Second issue is there is zero resisitance on the rt pedal and the tractor moves fast when you press to go forward. There isnt any creeping what so ever. Finding nuetral is darn tough and dont let there be a tree or truck in the way while trying to find nuetral as something is going to get bent.

Third item is when moving the selector on the rt side panel from nuetral to low results in a lot of gear grinding.

What I can say is that the lever on the lower dash panel that is the parking brake control is in the lowest speed possible, as I wanted an opportunity to get a feel for how the tractor would behave as I became familiar with it. But because of the lack of self centering of the Fwd/Rev pedal on the right the tractor is dangerous and I mean very dangerous rt now.

I have read some of the posts this morning and there are 2 ideas that I pondering. The first is am I just missing a spring on the right side of the tractor in the linkage , or is this a case where the roll pin has sheared and I am going to be looking at a tear down of the rear end? And if it is the latter is this for the weak of heart?

Its been a long time dream to have a 1655 and I have it but I am wondering just what is ahead for me on this issue.

Thanks in advance

#2 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 08:44 AM

There's no spring on the RH pedal.The self centering spring is on the left side where all the linkages are.The linkages on the left side also work like a speed control.As you put the selector into a higher gear what happens is that your moving a rooler further up on the linkages allowing then to spread open a bit wider,which in turn lets the RH hand foot pedal have more movement.The brake is also controled with the left pedal.If there not set right or worn out then the LH pedal will also go right down.As for grinding when when shifting into either low or high from netural is more then likely you not having the foot pedal in neutral.The other thing is if you don't have any speed control except full all the time it sounds like your going to have to take the hydro out of the tractor and take it apart to see whats wrong inside.If your not familar with working on stuff like that then your better to take it into someone who rebuilds hydros etc: with that being said if your mechanically inclined then you could take it apart yourself and check to see if anything is broken or if any of the plungers are stuck or sticking in the barrel.If you do take it apart make sure that you put the pistons back into where they came out of.Hope that helps with the hydro decission to do it yourself or take it in. As for the motor it may need to have a good carb cleaning and adjustment.Larry

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 09:00 AM

Sounds like someone jerry rigged the linkages at one time. I would take off the plastic center cover and the two side panels and get a better look at what is going on in there.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 01:29 PM

I don't think there will be anything major, but rather a lot of little things needing attention. As Larry said, the centering spring in on the linkage plates on the left side of the hydro. Don't touch the hydro itself until all other things are addressed. There will be no true resistance on the left pedal. It just returns the hydro to neutral (when adjusted right) and applies the brake. I never use the left pedal except to start, as the safety switch requires the pedal to be pushed down to crank the engine...again IF things are properly adjusted & switch hasn't been bypassed. If the hydro control isn't dead-on neutral, changing the diff speed WILL grind the gears.
Don't sweat it Pete, I think you can get this all figured out with mostly time/patience.

#5 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 10:19 PM

Sitting on the tractor the left pedal has absolutely no resistance and doesnt appear to have any effect when pressed.

This pedal only returns the rightside hydro pedal back to nuetral and applies the disk brake. A quick check is to push the hydro pedal forward and try the brake pedal. As you press the brake pedal you should see/feel the hydro pedal return to nuetral.

Second issue is there is zero resisitance on the rt pedal and the tractor moves fast when you press to go forward. There isnt any creeping what so ever.

There isnt much resistance at all in normal operation. All thet pedal does is push/pull a lever on the hydro itself. The return spring is actually quite small. If you stand behind the tractor and raise the seat, on the left hand side you will see the control linkage and the return spring. Have some one else operate the pedals so you can see whats moving.

Third item is when moving the selector on the rt side panel from nuetral to low results in a lot of gear grinding.

As OCH said, if it aint in neutral then it will grind. If the brake pedal is operating correctly, fully depressing it should put the hydro in nuetral.

What I can say is that the lever on the lower dash panel that is the parking brake control is in the lowest speed possible, as I wanted an opportunity to get a feel for how the tractor would behave as I became familiar with it. But because of the lack of self centering of the Fwd/Rev pedal on the right the tractor is dangerous and I mean very dangerous rt now.

That speed seletor is nothing more than a physical stop for the brake pedal. Since the brake pedal is tied in with the hydro pedal movement, the selector limits the amount of movement on the both pedals. It is nothing more than a nut and bolt that bangs up against a flat piece on the brake pedal. One good whack witha hammer and its out of adjustment.

I have read some of the posts this morning and there are 2 ideas that I pondering. The first is am I just missing a spring on the right side of the tractor in the linkage , or is this a case where the roll pin has sheared and I am going to be looking at a tear down of the rear end? And if it is the latter is this for the weak of heart?

It could be as simple as the bushings in the pedal axles are dry and not allowing the hydro to return. The pedal is sensitive so it doesnt take mush movement of the pedal to get the tractor moving. Now if the fluid is low it can cuase inconsitant pedal operation. The fluid should be checked and the filter changed. I would gues just some linkage issues to begin with. The operators, service manual and IPL can be found in the manuals section here on GTT.

Its been a long time dream to have a 1655 and I have it but I am wondering just what is ahead for me on this issue.

Probably not as much as you think. The engine runs, the hydro works, the rest is easy just a bunch of nuts and bolts with no magic involved.

#6 Petenpole OFFLINE  

Petenpole

• Contributor
  • Member No: 70
  • 145 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted August 15, 2011 - 08:36 AM

Well Daniel and ColdOne you have given me some insight that all isnt lost.

I will take a cpl days off work go clean the dickens out of the old woman and find the parts that may need some adjusting. No vice grips will be harmed in the process just proper wrenches and elbow grease.

Last year it was Panzers i was restoring and hopefully I will get the 1655 mated to a snow blower meant for a 1650, ( that could be a bigger challenge yet)

Yesterday I did tear into the mower deck on the 1600 as all 3 spindles were frozen, and yes the ball bearings and needle bearings are beyond their useful life. Later today I will be at the IBT to get bearings and start rebuilding the spindles so that mower can be used.

I dont really mind getting dirty and elbow deep into the work as long as I can see the end and have some idea of what road I am travelling.

Thanks again for the insight and I will try and update you as the work progresses.