• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 16, 2011 - 04:15 AM

I know that the CBC is very deer to people but I don't think my neighbours would appreciate it 24/7! The temporary high fence is working for now. I'll have to have something permanent for next year. The real problem is that there are way more deer around and they are not fearful of people any more. Its not going to be an easy problem to fix. My property borders on 500acres of nature preserve entwined within our subdivision, so there is no hunting in there. There aren't many natural predators. Coyotes are moving into this area which may reduce the deer but they are a worse problem IMO.

#17 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted August 17, 2011 - 11:58 PM

Maybe the WORD will spawn some manners throughout the deer population! :)

#18 krysteau OFFLINE  

krysteau

• Member No: 5751
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted August 23, 2011 - 01:36 PM

It's only a small upside to the deer story but I planted hornbeam whips (to make a hedge) about 18 inches tall and 9 inches apart one autumn and was depressed to find that the tops of all 200 had been nipped off by the tiny, dog-sized Muntjac deer in Northamptonshire in England. What I found in the Spring was that the plants had sent out side-shoots and began to form the perfect hedge as a result of the unforeseen deer trimming...

#19 fishman OFFLINE  

fishman

• Member No: 5368
  • 19 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted August 23, 2011 - 02:51 PM

I still say talk to your neighbors check your laws then get bow hunters in. It will only get worse if you don't kept them in fear of you. Them like it is said coyotes will move in but they only primarily eat small & weak deer. So if they don't have that they will eat your cats, dogs & garbage. Because deer are fast & hard for them to catch they will go for easy food. But the best reason is deer teaste great.

#20 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted August 23, 2011 - 08:33 PM

Sure proud thst here if they damageing crops they will let us take care of them. And I love the meat.

#21 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted August 25, 2011 - 04:06 AM

Coyotes don't have much of an affect on deer population, there is a spray called " hinder" that works, it's basiclly rotten eggs. But you have to re apply after every rain.
Don't let anyone tell ya that urine works, all animals are atracted to any urine,especially during the rut, they smell the salt in it.
Here on the farm we found that spraying lead still works the best, but sometimes i think we shoot one and ten come to the funeral

#22 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 25, 2011 - 04:21 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. The tall fencing is keeping them out of the veg. garden. As for all the other shrubs ,we have mostly switched to stuff they don't touch. The rules on hunting are pretty strict here and I don't think you can bow hunt anywhere close to houses.

#23 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 25, 2011 - 05:48 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. The tall fencing is keeping them out of the veg. garden. As for all the other shrubs ,we have mostly switched to stuff they don't touch. The rules on hunting are pretty strict here and I don't think you can bow hunt anywhere close to houses.

Your right there. It's gotten so bad in Canada, that you don't even want to be seen window shopping for a bow. Police state.

Good to here the fence is working.

#24 fishman OFFLINE  

fishman

• Member No: 5368
  • 19 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted August 26, 2011 - 05:52 AM

Sorry but that makes me very happy to be here in pa between me, wife & my kids I got 15 deer tags to fill. If all goes right it will be another year that I don't have to buy any meat I will be able to supply it myself.
  • daytime dave said thank you

#25 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted August 26, 2011 - 08:59 PM

fishman, good for you. Using the natural bounty is a very good way to live. Congrats.

#26 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted September 04, 2011 - 11:13 AM

Sorry but that makes me very happy to be here in pa between me, wife & my kids I got 15 deer tags to fill. If all goes right it will be another year that I don't have to buy any meat I will be able to supply it myself.

See, now you're making me hungry.