• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 05:24 AM

The local wildlife (whitetail deer) has done a number on our garden. There have been a lot of them around this year. Their behaviour is changing, getting bolder and less fearful of people. I have a 4ft fence around our small garden and have never had one go over the fence until now. They keep coming back for more, my wife had to chase them out of the garden twice yesterday. There were 2 of them in there and one of them didn't make a clean escape and was hanging over the fence by it's hind legs for a few seconds until it got clear. I had to go out and heighten the fence before dark with bits of leftover fence and some deer netting that I had left over from protecting our high bush blueberries earlier this year. It looks like it worked. There is no new damage this morning.
In the pictures you can see what they did to the beets and green beans. They were actually digging out the beets and eating them.:mad2:

DSCF6227.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF6226.jpg

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,470 Thanks
  • 39,704 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 05:57 AM

Get some Irish Spring soap bars and hang around. Might change the odor in the air from tasty goodies to human smell they don't like.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,306 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 06:16 AM

The reason they are loosing their fear of humans is we are no longer a predator. They had grown accustom to us shooting and eating them. Not so much anymore, and they are relearning that.
At least that's what one of them told me the other day... :rofl2:

#4 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 06:22 AM

That's a shame.

Some one told me Bounce sheets also work as a deterent.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 06:50 AM

The reason they are loosing their fear of humans is we are no longer a predator. They had grown accustom to us shooting and eating them. Not so much anymore, and they are relearning that.
At least that's what one of them told me the other day... :rofl2:

:bigrofl:

I'll have to ask them I guess! Seriously though, they are just everywhere this summer and not timid at all. I am thinking of getting the air pistol out and pumping it up just a couple of times to give them a slap on the behind with a .22 pellet. That might make them think twice. My wife bounced a rock off the side of one the other day and it just moved about 10ft and then hesitated before leaving at a leisurely pace. Many people have given up on gardening all together. We have gradually switched most of our shrubs to types they do not eat. This is the first time since I built the fence (5 years) that they have gone over it. I was working on the theory that they would not enter a small enclosed space. That theory is busted! Now I will have to gear up dear netting to a height of at least 7 feet to keep them out for sure. Those beet greens were beautiful and would have been delicious. Not to mention our favourite harvest- the green beans!

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 06:52 AM

http://gardentractor...en-helper-6619/
Here's my thread on my "garden helper" he does smash down some plants but no rabbits , groundhogs or deer come near it. Al

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 06:54 AM

That's a shame.

Some one told me Bounce sheets also work as a deterent.

We have tried all that stuff over the years. The thing that works best is fresh blood meal. It smells like a predator kill and does keep some of them away. It seems to work well for a Doe and fawn combo. But for lone does and the occasional buck that we see, it just isn't working any more. Maybe I need to invite some bow hunters over!!

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 07:05 AM

http://gardentractor...en-helper-6619/
Here's my thread on my "garden helper" he does smash down some plants but no rabbits , groundhogs or deer come near it. Al

We have 2 standard poodles. One is so laid back and lazy that if she spots a deere she just ignores it. The other one barks furiously and would probably chase one but we don't let her loose in the yard much. We used to have a lot of trouble with rabbits until foxes and the occasional bobcat moved in and kept the population under control.

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 07:46 AM

I'm not sure what our "helper " would do if he came face to face with another animal .My guess would be licks it butt. :bigrofl: That's enough to keep them away !

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,306 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 07:54 AM

I'm not sure what our "helper " would do if he came face to face with another animal .My guess would be licks it butt. :bigrofl: That's enough to keep them away !

:rofl2: Al, there's the morning chuckle I was looking for... TY

And just for reference, I wouldn't stay in your garden if he was doing that either... :laughingteeth:

#11 fishman OFFLINE  

fishman

• Member No: 5368
  • 19 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 08:20 AM

That's what I would do. Sounds like you got way to many doe. My friend has 7 ft fence around his sweet corn & they still get in that was 4 yrs ago. We started bow hunting around his property and it helped. As far as the air gun you could get in trouble for that so be careful & check your laws. Also be careful around deer lots of people don't think a deer will hurt you but if cornered they will protect themselves & their young.

#12 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 01:15 PM

Around here people use human hair, after a hair cut they tsuff some in a nylon hose and hang around the garden. Also they sell puma pee! in a spray bottle. My mother inlaw says it works great!! My rottie has worked well so far, but I do worry when she's inside the house.

#13 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 04:32 PM

Around here people use human hair, after a hair cut they tsuff some in a nylon hose and hang around the garden. Also they sell puma pee! in a spray bottle. My mother inlaw says it works great!! My rottie has worked well so far, but I do worry when she's inside the house.

I don't think I would risk using a pellet gun on them. My wife has tried the hair thing and it didn't seem to help. We had a rottie for 11years. They are a beautiful dog. Puma pee..... never heard of that. Predator urine should be effective in theory. I think a higher fence is what I will try and see how it goes. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

#14 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 09:35 PM

I have a couple small vegetable gardens close to the house.

What we've been using is a radio in a garbage can.
For the Canuck friends, I've found that CBC radio works best - go figure.

#15 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted August 16, 2011 - 12:30 AM

I have a couple small vegetable gardens close to the house.

What we've been using is a radio in a garbage can.
For the Canuck friends, I've found that CBC radio works best - go figure.

interesting!!!!