• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 projectnut OFFLINE  

projectnut

• Member No: 5067
  • 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 08:32 PM

I just got my "new to me" Case 224 up and running this afternoon. It wasn't in bad shape but needed some new wheel bearings, hydraulic hoses fuel lines, new fluids and a few other things. I took it for it's first run around the block and couldn't believe the speed it could travel.

According to the manual it should be capable of 7.3 mph in high range at full throttle. That's assuming standard tires and max engine speed of 3,600 rpm. That's about the same maximum speed as both my JD445 and my Cadtrac. However at slightly less than 2/3 throttle the speed was closer to 15 mph than 7 and there was still a lot of throttle to go. I know that some of the later 224's were capable of about 9.4 mph but even that's slow compared to the speed this thing was traveling.

Even at that speed it handled well. I know full speed in high range is only to be used for "transport", but I couldn't imagine driving any distance at that speed on anything other than pavement. Maybe the 224 on the hood is the Lawnmower Racing Association number not the model number.

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 08:35 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. If anything it is really good. As long as the motor isn't over spinning. Does it happen to have taller then stock tires on it?

#3 Frank Morris OFFLINE  

Frank Morris

• Member No: 5542
  • 11 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 10:34 PM

just wondering how you could tell how fast you were going, 60 miles an hour seems dang fast in my old vw, not fast at all in the new olds, some tractors are that way also, a smaller tractor may seem to go faster than a larger one, but really it doesnt. Someone also could have jacked with the hydro pressure, I'm not sure if that would make it go faster, but it might

#4 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 06:12 AM

If the hyd. pump has been changed to a larger one then it will also go faster. I've heard of some Case's that really move out in high range.

#5 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 05:59 PM

Just wondering, how did you measure the speed. A friend of mine that works on boats uses his GPS to check speed.

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 06:21 PM

I would think the easiest way would be to follow it in a car and check the cars speedometer.

#7 Frank Morris OFFLINE  

Frank Morris

• Member No: 5542
  • 11 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 09:40 PM

anybody know that the first year 224 had factory option or 8-16 tires/wheels, wouldnt that just make it a 444?

#8 projectnut OFFLINE  

projectnut

• Member No: 5067
  • 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted August 15, 2011 - 11:16 AM

Just wondering, how did you measure the speed. A friend of mine that works on boats uses his GPS to check speed.

I took your advice and did another test run this morning with the GPS. The maximum speed on level ground was 12.3 mph. That was at roughly 2/3 throttle and riding on the stock 8.50 x 12 turf tires. I believe it could make 15 mph at full throttle but 12 mph is more than fast enough.

I doubt it'll ever go that fast agian (on purpose) as long as I own it. Its main purpose for the forseeable future is dragging logs, pulling trailer loads of firewood, mulch and garden debris.

#9 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,629 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted August 15, 2011 - 11:26 AM

Measure off 88' and time the time it takes to travel that distance and divide that time in seconds into 60 and that number = MPH. Allow some space before and after this trap to get up to speed and to slow down and stop.
60 MPH = 88' per second.
  • Billygoat said thank you