Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone have a tankless electric water heater?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 12, 2011 - 11:45 PM

We have been having issues with our water heater throughout the last couple of months. We had the top heating element go out, replaced it and we should have replaced them both at the same time but didn't.

Not even a month later the bottom one went out. Now here the last month the water temp has been fluctuating and the last couple of days it was getting scolding hot so I thought for sure one of the elements was going out. Just haven't had time to really look at it.

Well tonight after we got home from work, my wife comes running out to me to hurry up and go down to the basement. She thought something was on fire. The pressure release opened and it was like a sauna down in the basement. Water everywhere and it was hot.

Went to the local hardware store and picked up both the upper and lower thermostats and replaced them, now all is well again for now. I think next time something goes wrong we are replacing the unit as it isn't the most efficient to begin with.

I would really like to see about getting one of the instant tankless water heaters, I know they are pricey depending on the size you need but it may be worth it if they really do save energy.

#2 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted August 12, 2011 - 11:55 PM

From the guys i know that have one, they dont seem to last long for the price you paid. Several have had the heat exchanger burn out. I have a propain regular heater and its at least 15yrs old and dont have any trouble with it. I wouldnt have an electric one as the elements seem to go out if you have a lot of lime or iron in the water.

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 03:37 AM

George, we just installed one in the remodel we are working on. Supposed to be 98% efficient. I'll get the info on it to you. We haven't fired it off yet, it is natural gas. Sure doesn't take up much space.

Edited by KennyP, August 13, 2011 - 03:38 AM.
spelling

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 04:25 AM

My neighbor has one,and it seems to always be causing trouble.Other than that,I don't know much about them.

Oh, and you could put it out in the sun more,it you want it to be darker. (tanless):bigrofl::bigrofl::bigrofl:

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 04:44 AM

Good morning.

George, about the water heater. I was thinking of getting one but I have a solar hot water system so I need to have a large tank anyway. The way I figure it is that for my situation it didn't make sense. Yes, it would save the energy required to keep the storage tank hot but in my case this heat is going into a heated area so it displaces heat from the heating system (electric in my case) during the heating season. If you have a cheaper form of heat then it makes more sense. I had my doubts about reliability as well. To heat the water quickly requires a large element that will be cycling on and off frequently. The other issue to consider is that you will need to run heavier wire to service the higher wattage element. This can be a major expense.
In order to make your existing heater as efficient as possible insulate the tank and the pipes and turn it down to the lowest setting that will work for your situation. We can use 125F without any problems.
I you really want to save consider going solar. Providing you have a good southern exposure it can reduce your water heating costs substantially.

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 09:43 AM

We have been talking about doing some form of solar electric. There are a couple of places now that offer leasing of the solar panels but we would have to get a price and see if it actually is cheaper, if it is the same price for us then it isn't worth having them installed.

We were going to do a big outside wood burner this year but between funds and time just never got around to it. We will be doing one next year though. If we do that, we can use it to provide our hot water through the heating months. I have the thermostats on the water heater set right around 130 right now. I am going to lower them just a little bit and probably lower the lower thermostat to 120 as I don't think it needs to be set as high as the top one.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 05:36 PM

I looked into them at one time, they seem to be pretty breakdown prone and not all of them are fixable. The French named one got the best feedback but they were tepid (pardon the pun) at best.

I finally bought another standard tank.

Oh, and I had to spray it with tanning solution to get any results there. Too dark in the basement.

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 08:00 PM

Oh, and I had to spray it with tanning solution to get any results there. Too dark in the basement.

:bigrofl:

I miss one letter and you are all over it.

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 08:11 PM

When we got our solar water heater we went for 2 panels. There were a lot of incentives from various levels of government and that made it worth doing. We got back about 1/2 the cost. Without the rebates it would not have been feasible. Our system is made locally by a large manufacturer of solar equipment. If you are going with a wood fired boiler that would be the best way to heat your water during the winter. You do not get very much out of a solar HW system in the winter due to shorter days, more overcast days and decreased efficiency in cold temperatures. For about 8 months a year it works pretty well.

#10 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 10:30 PM

I dont know much about the electric tankless systems, but i have heard from several electricians that they had to install a new service due to the amp draw of the heater. The original panels did not have enough capacity. Therfore the install cost tripled.

#11 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 10:59 PM

I have two of the electric tankless water heaters, one serves the kitchen, laundry and upstairs bathroom which is only used when we have company. The other one serves the master bath and a downstairs powder room (just a pot and lavatory). I installed them when I remodeled so they've been in use for four years now. So far we haven't had any problems. Did a bunch of research on them and bought ones made by American Heat. I over-sized them purposely. The both have dual heating units. What I like most is that they only use power when I turn on the hot water. The one for the kitchen is set at 125 degrees and the one for the master bath at 115.

#12 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 04:21 AM

:bigrofl:

I miss one letter and you are all over it.

There's no pullin' the wool over our eyes,somebody's got to keep on top of things.:D:D:bigrofl::bigrofl: