Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Cub 128 "Precision Guesswork" build HELP!!!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 venisonslayer128 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 5521
  • 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted January 13, 2012 - 09:52 PM

well I thought instead of just talking about it i'd show you my hard work thus far.. As winter rolls in.. sorta.. Being laid off has helped the speed to which things get done. Does anyone have any idea on taking out those hardened steel roll pins that seem to be everywhere? for the life of me I couldnt drill or take them out in any way at all... even the deck lift lever in the picture took the blow torch to cut off.. lets see.. 1 1/2" dropped axle.. 26 12 12 Ironman tires with stock rims on back and mwsc 6" tri ribs with polished alums. on front. a 5 1/2" rake from stock.. everything has been hand fabricated minus the front and rear wheels.. I made the axle, fuel tank mounts, foot throttle, remade the battery box and clutch cover, I have wheelie bars, wieght bars, and drive line left.. the biggest problem I have is getting any parts shipped to me.. Living in Canada the rates cost more than the parts.. I wanted tires and wheels from MWSC and they (fed ex) wanted $300! USPS wanted $450!! its something I wasnt expecting thats for sureNewCamera2011 159.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• NewCamera2011 158.jpg

#17 MH81 OFFLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,668 Thanks
  • 28,318 posts

Posted January 13, 2012 - 11:45 PM

Wow, that's really starting to look mean.

As for the roll pins, if they have a camfer on the outside edge, a trick my dad showed me one time... Take a piece of unhardened steel rod the same od. Very carefully center punch and using a drill bit of the same od, drill a taper up into the rod. Harden the piece of rod by turning it cherry red, then quenching in oil, then repeat, but not quite cherry the second time.

The taper helps to "shrink" the pin, using the camfer on the pin itself. Spray it down with PB Blaster, Aero Kroil, etc, & work the pin back and forth in the hole (hit from one side, then the other) watching for flaring of the rod. You don't want that stuck in there too. :D

#18 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 06:39 AM

Those are spirolock pins, they are like a rolled up newspaper. Try a dull center punch in the center to drive the center out first, that should cause the pin to roll up tighter like a newspaper.

#19 venisonslayer128 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 5521
  • 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 02:11 PM

i tried punching them but i ended up cutting the pieces off.. those pics were from two weeks ago so i'll try and take some today of the new pieces as I start on the wheelie bars

also gunna pick up some lead from a tire shop for suitcase weights..

does anyone know how to stamp a logo into them?