Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone have a good picture of 300/312/314 front grill?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 12, 2011 - 10:37 AM

Hi folks

I'm trying to fit the 314 engine covers and grill. I am having trouble getting the grill to fit. The covers were bent and dinged and I had to fuss with them to get them to line up with the mounting holes. My problem with the grill is that I don't know if it should go behind the front edge of the engine covers or in front of them. I painted the grill and the plate under it where the hydraulic connections are. I have them scratched to bits trying to get the grill to fit. If anyone could snap a picture I'd appreciate it. The manual does not have any pictures of the front grill and no instructions for removing/installing it.
Thanks
Brian

#2 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted August 12, 2011 - 10:52 AM

Brian,
See if there is a good picture in this link: John Deere -> Early 300 Series (1975-1992)

It has pictures of the early 300 series tractors.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 12, 2011 - 02:24 PM

Those are some nice pictures of 300 series. They are all a bit different in the front end. The 317 has a different setup entirely. I can't really see how the grill is setup on the 314 pictures. Thanks for the link. The way the grill attaches is really crude IMO. I may have to figure out something easier to deal with.

#4 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted August 12, 2011 - 06:49 PM

Don't know if this will help much, but here is my 314 front view: HPIM2163 - Copy.JPG

If you need more, I can check tomorrow! ~~ grnspot
  • JDBrian said thank you

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 12, 2011 - 07:38 PM

Thanks grnspot. I can't really see how the grill fits with the side covers. The resolution is not good enough. What I am looking for is how the grill fits relative to the front edges of the engine covers. Does it go in front of or behind the front edge of the covers? Perhaps it is flush with them? I had my 314 apart for several months and just can't seem to get the grill to fit properly.
The console was twisted. I straghtened that out which changed the position of the rear mounting holes for the engine covers. So then I adjusted the hood hinges and the bracket that holds them so that the engine covers fit. Now I can make the grill fit behind the covers but it is very difficult to install and remove. Also, the back side of the grill is very close to the muffler. The plastic emblem mounting studs are only about 1/2 inch away. I think I will build a small heat shield to protect the back side of the emblem. It was missing when I got the tractor so I replaced it and don't want it melting and falling off again. I am puzzled by the fact that the hooks on the bottom of the grill seem like a haphazard way to attach it.
If you could get a close up of your grill it would be very helpful.

#6 MAV OFFLINE  

MAV

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 487
  • 108 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 08:31 AM

Brian,
I think that the grill goes on the outside of the side covers or at least that is the way I have it on the 316 . Seems to fit alot better that way.
Mark
  • JDBrian said thank you

#7 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 08:43 AM

Does this help...
Posted Image
  • JDBrian said thank you

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 10:16 AM

Thanks guys. Todd, in the picture of the 314 you posted I can clearly see the grill is on the outside(front) of the engine covers. It's strange that the operating manual does not address the pto or grill at all. I guess they left all that to the attachment manuals.
Now I have to figure out how to get it to install that way.

#9 fredrader OFFLINE  

fredrader

• Member No: 3676
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 08:30 AM

I noticed yesterday that my grill on my 314 was tucked in behind the side covers.. I removed my side covers and grill and re-installed the side covers then re-installed the grill like it is supposed to be.. Or at least like it is on my 316 and my 318..
Posted Image

Edited by fredrader, August 14, 2011 - 08:42 AM.

• JDBrian said thank you

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 09:17 AM

Thanks guys. Todd, in the picture of the 314 you posted I can clearly see the grill is on the outside(front) of the engine covers. It's strange that the operating manual does not address the pto or grill at all. I guess they left all that to the attachment manuals.
Now I have to figure out how to get it to install that way.

Thanks to member Gibby we will have a manual that would probably address the grill issue and a whole lot more. He sent me a 337 page service manual that I just got all scanned yesterday. Should be up on the site in another day or two.
  • JDBrian and Gibby have said thanks

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 09:55 AM

Thanks to member Gibby we will have a manual that would probably address the grill issue and a whole lot more. He sent me a 337 page service manual that I just got all scanned yesterday. Should be up on the site in another day or two.

George, that is good news. Many thanks to Gibby! The 314/317 manuals have been among the most requested in the last few months.

#12 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 10:05 AM

George, that is good news. Many thanks to Gibby! The 314/317 manuals have been among the most requested in the last few months.

As most know I am against watermarking our files but we are going to do something with this one mainly because of the effort and costs that have gone in to it. Basically more like a digital signature so it isn't being posted on other sites nor people selling it on ebay. We are not claiming ownership of it, nor are we selling it.

On another note, Gibby also sent me his 317 technical manual that is like 500 pages but I don't know if I am going to be able to scan it because it is just like a book and I don't want to damage someone elses property.

#13 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 10:06 AM

Holy Cow! You didn't waste any time on that! Since you brought it up, I'd like to thank you, and hope the other members will thank you for making the time and undertaking the monumental task of scanning that manual. I know some people here understand what a great benefit having the manuals here on site is, but for those who do not, and you need a manual, here's what you have to look forward to if you buy one---> JOHN DEERE 300,312,314,316 HYDRO TRACTORS SERVICE MANUA | eBay

As you can see, the price of a membership is a HUGE bargain compared to buying just one of these manuals. This may illustrate for those who aren't members yet, just what a huge service this forum(George) provides for you. And George I'm sure has better things to do, but he made the time to do this for the forum, in other words, for YOU GUYS.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 04:08 PM

:urock:
Thanks very much Gibby. It is really a big help to all the people who have these great tractors. Great as they are, they do need a lot of TLC because of their age and it is a huge time and money saver to have the correct technical info. available. And thanks also to George for scanning this massive document and making it available to the members.

#15 levic900rr OFFLINE  

levic900rr

• Member No: 5612
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 16, 2011 - 10:52 AM

Wow that 314 looks a lot like my 316... Anyone know what the difference is?