#1 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted August 11, 2011 - 10:32 PM

I have a Wheel Horse that was originally a 10-8. I guess they were only made for one year. Anyway it is now powered by a Lister-Petters diesel. It's worked fine for the last two years. The other day I was pulling a sub-soiler in low range low gear and hooked a tree root:wallbanging:. The rear end shucked it's guts and now the question. Is there a transaxle that will fit this tractor that is stronger? If I remember correctly this tractor has the 1" axles. I would like to stick with the 8 speed transmission if possible but I am not entirely against a hydro. I also have ATV tires on the back so I can maintain traction when pulling a disc or subsoiler.
I really appreciate any help you folks can provide. I would like to get my tractor back in service.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted August 12, 2011 - 04:02 AM

Chris,
It's my understanding that almost all of the WH units used the same rear end. The earlier tractors had a 3 speed read end called UniDrive. The transaxle you have was based on the same design, just with the high low range selection. As for a heavier tranny that would fit, maybe the Biggest D series used something heavier?
I am surprised the tranny gave up on you... These things seem nearly indestructible. Part of the reason there are so many survivors still in use, I guess.

#3 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted August 12, 2011 - 09:02 AM

I think before I start feeling too sorry for myself I need to tear into it and see what is really wrong. It still drives sort of but when I try and turn, the tractor acts like it has a live axle. Wants to go straight ahead and the snapping and popping noises start. Sounds very bad.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 12, 2011 - 09:49 AM

I would tear in to it first. Might be something simple.

That is a lot of stress for one of those rear ends to endure. Considering the diesel power, atv tires and possible weights? You also don't know what kind of life it had prior to your ownership.

I am curious as well to see what gave out on it once you tear it apart. Sorry I can't provide information regarding another rear that you could use.

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted August 12, 2011 - 01:34 PM

Next week I'll see if I can find out what happened a report back. The kind of noises that rear end is making makes the hair stand up on my neck.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 12, 2011 - 02:18 PM

Chris, the diff gears are all busted up. I had one do that in a Wheel Horse GT14 years ago. If I remember right, they are set up in a planetary fashion & have many small gearsets. Not hard at all to slip another complete diff into it from another tractor. It's always a heavy shock load that gets those little gears. Actually, my GT14 didn't do it on me, but the previous owner, and that's the only reason he sold it to me. The GT14 is hydro, but has maybe the same diff gears as yours does. He was backing down a bank with a HEAVY trailer load of bricks. It got to backing too fast & he got excited & hit forward and had lots of tongue weight. The shock load busted that diff set of gears all to bits!

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 12, 2011 - 02:24 PM

Chris, here's one on ebay with internal pics so you'll know what they look like. Toro Wheel Horse 520-H Differential | eBay

This one may even fit yours. Once you see how they are made, you'll easily understand how it would still pull, but not turn. All the broken bits pretty much stay inside it and lock it up.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 12, 2011 - 02:33 PM

Here's one out an 855 that is a bit different.

wh diff.jpg

Edited by olcowhand, August 12, 2011 - 02:43 PM.

• Cvans said thank you

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted August 12, 2011 - 04:35 PM

One thing is for sure after looking at those photos, it's going to be a different differential or a different tractor. I believe the one on E-bay would be for the larger axles than mine. At least I know know that I'm not going to try and save the original as I would imagine I have run many pieces through the bearings and gears.
I have to put new pinion bearings in my pickup and Differential gasket on the C.C. 129 next week anyway so that's one less thing to tackle.
Thanks Daniel!

#10 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted August 12, 2011 - 07:32 PM

The strongest transmission is one with 1-1/8" diameter axles and 8 one-piece pinions in the differential.
The one-piece pinions where first used in some 1972 tractor models with 4-speeds.
The earlier two-piece pinions had a gear on a shaft resulting in a weaker assembly.
I think the first 8-speeds with 1-1/8" axles and 8 one-piece pinions were in some 1973 models and the automatics in 1975.

Garry

Edited - changed years and
Some models used a brake drum on a different shaft further back on the transmission so the brake linkage is different.

Once a transmission leaves an original tractor model there is no way to identify what model transmission it is.

The 10 pinion differential with limited slip was not as strong as the 8 pinion because the gears are smaller to occupy the same space as the 8 pinion.

Edited by GWest, August 13, 2011 - 05:02 AM.

• MH81 and Cvans have said thanks

#11 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted August 12, 2011 - 10:06 PM

That is some very good information. I really would like to keep the Wheel Horse if I could find a heavier transaxle. I'm just about positive that my axles are 1" in diameter.

#12 Operator OFFLINE  

Operator

• Member No: 1871
  • 8 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted September 18, 2011 - 06:05 PM

CHRIS!!!!!! HI! Got to PM you buddy!!

Randy

#13 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-