• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 11, 2011 - 08:04 PM

so little did i realize it but for years a guy right down the road from me had a gravely 450 commercial under a tarp. so i went down there today and towed it home with the truck. and i had no trailer so i improvised. my dad drove the truck. i steered the tractor. i got the tractor home and i think the engine is frozen. there is no fly wheel on it o i cant get a good grip to turn it. but i think ill fill my cylinders with MMO and my friend said that should help it unseize. the fenderpan is also missing along with seat and some others. not a bad tractor. im just worried i wont be able to unseize the onan.

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted August 11, 2011 - 08:24 PM

Gravely's are heavy duty tractors. I know my 430 is built like a tank
Hope you can get the onan freed up

#3 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 11, 2011 - 08:30 PM

any comment on filling the cylinders with MMO? also do you know there i can get parts. like a seat pan head light cover

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,243 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted August 12, 2011 - 05:50 AM

Sounds like a nice tractor and an interesting ride home. Hope you can get the engine freed.

As for the MMO, sure won't do any harm. I wonder if the seizing is due to rust or other. Kinda makes me wonder if there is something more wrong since the flywheel is off. Did the PO say anything about why it quit?

#5 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted August 12, 2011 - 06:40 AM

Sounds like a nice tractor and an interesting ride home. Hope you can get the engine freed.

As for the MMO, sure won't do any harm. I wonder if the seizing is due to rust or other. Kinda makes me wonder if there is something more wrong since the flywheel is off. Did the PO say anything about why it quit?

:ditto:

Thats what I was thinking....

I havent really looked for parts much... Usually stuff comes up on ebay once in a while.

#6 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 12, 2011 - 11:03 AM

he bought it from an auction years ago and apparently the state of NJ owned it. he was going to fix it up and use it but he never got around to it. if i can get it going i figure i can part it out and hopefully recover my losses. if i can get it going, well i smell a rebuilt bolens engine.