Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Wondering how long my weld will hold on the MF8's mower deck.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 04, 2010 - 05:27 PM

I had to weld part of the deck where the rear roller bracket on the right attaches. It had started to crack and I didn't notice it till one day I noticed the deck was cutting closer on the right then on the left.

I pulled it off the tractor and removed the roller and welded the crack but I didn't add any extra plating. I don't know if the crack was already started when I bought the little thing or not. I am hoping it holds up. I do most of my mowing with the 12 and do the trimming with the 8.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted February 04, 2010 - 05:43 PM

Can't say really without pic of area. But if it doesn't hold, it would be better to add as tall a new piece as possible on the inside of deck, reaching a couple inches further on each end, then going back outside & welding hot enough to penetrate & weld to the inner added plate.

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 04, 2010 - 06:02 PM

Can't say really without pic of area. But if it doesn't hold, it would be better to add as tall a new piece as possible on the inside of deck, reaching a couple inches further on each end, then going back outside & welding hot enough to penetrate & weld to the inner added plate.

That's the way I should have done it the first time but I was in a hurry at the time because the mf12 was down for repairs and I need to get the grass cut.

#4 bleedingreen OFFLINE  

bleedingreen

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33
  • 1 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted February 04, 2010 - 09:29 PM

As A welder by profession if it breaks again gind a V in your old weld put a tack on the bottom and a tack at the top. Start at the top and down hill weld it going at a normal speed. After it cools take your thumb nail and see if it catches (also called undercut) at the edge of the weld if you got this you have got maximum penatration the weld will out last the tractor.
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 04, 2010 - 09:46 PM

As A welder by profession if it breaks again gind a V in your old weld put a tack on the bottom and a tack at the top. Start at the top and down hill weld it going at a normal speed. After it cools take your thumb nail and see if it catches (also called undercut) at the edge of the weld if you got this you have got maximum penatration the weld will out last the tractor.

I appreciate the tip. :thumbs:

#6 bleedingreen OFFLINE  

bleedingreen

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33
  • 1 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted February 04, 2010 - 10:10 PM

your welcome

#7 custom8mm98 OFFLINE  

custom8mm98

• Member No: 30
  • 1 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted February 04, 2010 - 10:35 PM

i can personally tell you that i can weld....but bleedingreen (jeff) can well a hell of alot better. every weld on my tractors and projects that he has done has yet to break or even show signs of weakening. the advice he has to offer is some of the best around when it comes to welding.