• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 32,293 Thanks
  • 42,065 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 03:58 AM

Mark each piece???

Where's your sense of adventure, man?

Just kidding, good plan. Can't wait for the pics.

I hope to be able to reuse the old screw holes to line it back up correctly. Shouldn't be too hard to do if I mark/number the pieces. I looked at the top, yesterday. Looks pretty simple to take down. Wish I could afford a floor for it, but that's out of the budget.

#17 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 32,293 Thanks
  • 42,065 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 02:36 PM

I got it home! Left about 6:30 am, was back home by 9:15. I have it all stacked up waiting for time to put it up. Here is some pics, though I'm sure you all have seen a carport before.

Image003.jpg

I have marked everything so it should go back together rather easily. Hardest part will be locating and pouring the piers for it to attach to. It is all steel, not aluminum as I had thought. I will gain about a third more roof area with this.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image001.jpg
  • Image002.jpg

#18 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 37,241 Thanks
  • 30,217 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 07:25 PM

Heck, you could add walls later pretty easy if wanted/needed.

#19 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,471 Thanks
  • 2,811 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 07:28 PM

Kind of reminds me of the cattle shades we used to put up as a kid. We get way to much snow here to no side wall a shed.

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 32,293 Thanks
  • 42,065 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 07:33 PM

Daniel, that was my thought. In fact, the north end will get one real soon after I get it up. West side is up against a shed. Even have a 110 Ac unit I could put in.

#21 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,383 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 07:50 PM

Good deal for $100. More room under roof, means more tractors in the future.
What's on the wish list?

#22 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 32,293 Thanks
  • 42,065 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 04:38 AM

Nothing on the wish list at the moment, Will. I need space to work on the one's I have.

#23 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,594 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 04:56 AM

I got it home! Left about 6:30 am, was back home by 9:15. I have it all stacked up waiting for time to put it up. Here is some pics, though I'm sure you all have seen a carport before.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18978[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]18979[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]18980[/ATTACH]

I have marked everything so it should go back together rather easily. Hardest part will be locating and pouring the piers for it to attach to. It is all steel, not aluminum as I had thought. I will gain about a third more roof area with this.

Good Morning Kenny. That looks in good condition. Hopefully the digging for the piers won't be too hard. We have a lot of rock here so it's a big gamble whenever you try to dig a hole. The extra space will be nice. I have trouble fitting everything into my 20 x 22 garage.

#24 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 32,293 Thanks
  • 42,065 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 05:14 AM

Brian, The sub soil is clay. The rain has been great to get it to soften so I can dig into it. Hard part will be laying out where the piers will be. If I could afford new posts, I could just set the in the holes until I got it together. I may look into how much they would be, but I will need 6. The first pic shows the original location of the posts. I want to move these closer to the ends, so I will add a center post each side to make up for it. Or I could go with treated 4X4's, but would have to get 10' lengths. Then I could use the original posts for other things. Using wood posts will make it easier to enclose. Hmmm!

Just checked Lowes pricing on posts. $100 will get six 4X4X10' and one 4X6X12'. Much easier to work with. Thanks for making me think. Just need to make metal brackets to attach the post to the 20' side pieces. That won't be hard.

Edited by KennyP, August 14, 2011 - 05:35 AM.

#25 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,594 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 05:36 AM

Clay isn't exactly easy to dig in ... well, I guess it isn't fun digging holes for cement posts no matter what the soil is like. I guess if it were easy they wouldn't have invented backhoes! I dug 14 holes to put up a garden fence about 5 yrs ago. I averaged about 1.5hrs /hole. A 5ft. pry bar is a necessary tool for digging here. Wood posts would be easier to build on for enclosing the sides. Do you need to worry about wind loads on the side walls? Up here we get the occasional hurricane, and snow loading for roofs is a consideration. You are getting a nice increase in your work space for the money.

#26 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 32,293 Thanks
  • 42,065 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 05:54 AM

Brian, this has withstood snow loads around here for many years already. The long wall will be North/South with one side against a 20' long shed. Have a 6' fence about 10' North of that end, so not worried about wind too much as most high winds come from the SW or NW around here. I will need to figure out new downspouts for water drainage though. Got an idea in my head on that already.
Next will be figuring out enclosing it. Doors, windows, and such. Large door for tractors to move through will be a slider as I have track and rollers for it.

#27 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 32,293 Thanks
  • 42,065 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 12:49 PM

Thanks to Brian (JDBrian), I have thought a bit more about this. I wanted to get the end posts closer than 18-24" to the ends. One end had the factory drain for the gutter.
Image004.jpg

These were going to keep the posts back about 8" from the end. Daniel and Brian got me to thinking about enclosing this. That meant the posts need to be much closer to the end. So I drug out one side and an end to figure how to drain the water. I was able to figure out how the two pieces went together & what I could do. The X in the below pic is what I can cut out for drainage.
Image005.jpg

Then after contemplating this for a while, I got out a downspout bend to help get a clue of what to do. I have several pieces of some heavy sheet metal, thanks to my son, so I started bending and cutting.
Having trouble getting pics to load for some reason. Just won't upload. I'll submit this and try a reply.

#28 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 32,293 Thanks
  • 42,065 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 01:06 PM

Image006.jpg

There it is. My goal here is to make a corner bracket/downspout attachment thingy. I figured what size it needed to be after going to Lowes and getting 4 downspout adapters (grey thingy). After welding it all together, here is what I have.
Image014.jpg

I used the bend to show how the down spout will attach. I need to make one just like this and 2 that mirror the mount for opposite corners. This will let the posts be close to the ends .

Attached Thumbnails

• Image010.jpg
  • Image011.jpg
  • Image013.jpg
  • Image007.jpg

#29 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 28,939 Thanks
  • 29,288 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 05:25 PM

You're just like me... If I can take a project & somehow justify turning it into a bigger project... well count me in!

Nice use of your noggin, and good idea to make the posts closer to the ends. Even if you only close the windward side, it's amazing how much that'll help. Before you enclose it, better check with your insurance guy to make sure all will be well... and also look into your bldg codes. Your taxes may jump with sides.

#30 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 32,293 Thanks
  • 42,065 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 06:38 PM

It won't be closed in very soon. I'll go for the North side when I get it up to block snow. Thanks for the info.