• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JJuday OFFLINE  

JJuday

• Member No: 5194
  • 4 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted August 10, 2011 - 07:33 PM

Does anyone have any experience with oil coagulants? I have thought about trying some of the JD gear box oil for corn heads.

Does anyone recommend STP motor oil?

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 10, 2011 - 07:48 PM

I don't have any experience with STP motor oil. We usually use whatever the cheapest 30 wt that is on sale. In the winter we will swap out for 10w-30 in whichever tractors we plan to clear snow with.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted August 10, 2011 - 09:19 PM

Does anyone have any experience with oil coagulants? I have thought about trying some of the JD gear box oil for corn heads.

Does anyone recommend STP motor oil?

My Uncle has used STP additive for years and years. Little blue bottle that pours like cold tar. IDK whats in it, but it's sticky and does seem to help on engines that make noise or burn oil.

#4 MUDDAWG OFFLINE  

MUDDAWG

• Member No: 5061
  • 6 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted August 11, 2011 - 12:34 PM

I have no expertise with corn heads
stp oil additive works well but it may be better just to use a thicker grade oil

is it leaks your trying to stop ?
noises ?

Id find out what is reccomended for the gearbox and use that
maybe it takes 30wt maybe it takes 90wt...or even mineral oil

ask jd before ya fill it

mike

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 11, 2011 - 01:41 PM

Way back in the 60's and 70's, when Richard Petty was(still is in my opinion) the King of Nascar and Andy Grannetelli/STP was competeting at Indy, everybody used STP. I still think it is great stuff,mixed with motor oil as an engine assembly lube. With the modern lubricants available, I seen no need for coagulates.

But let me tell you a little story: When my brother got out of the Navy in 1969, he bought a 66 Chevy Impala SS396.
He drove it for several years and drove it hard! In 1971 late fall he traded it in on a Ford Pinto. He had worked at the Ford Garage before going to the Navy and had a lot of friends there.
The Trasmittion was really shot and he filled it up with STP. It sat on the lot well into December and when someone tried to test drive it it would not shift at all when cold. The Mechanic who rebuilt the Tranny said he nearly had to chisel the STP out before he could rebuild it. Asked my brother what he had done and told him if he ever pulled a stunt like that again, trade with another dealer.
So don't over do it if your going to operate in cold weather!

I'd be more inclined to go with one of the new Synthetics.

Edited by JD DANNELS, August 11, 2011 - 01:48 PM.

#6 JJuday OFFLINE  

JJuday

• Member No: 5194
  • 4 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted August 11, 2011 - 07:37 PM

Thanks for the replys. I stopped at my local Briggs/Dolmar dealer this morning and asked him what he recommended. He told me that Lucas makes many types of "stop leak" additives and I might just give that a try. I have a leaky gear box on my 32" deck and my TRA10-D Wisconsin leaks some oil.

I had a notion to try some summer grade chainsaw bar oil in the gear box, that stuff is as snotty as can be!

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted August 11, 2011 - 08:27 PM

I had a notion to try some summer grade chainsaw bar oil in the gear box, that stuff is as snotty as can be!

That's what STP is like.

#8 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 01:47 PM

Sorry for the hijack jjuday, but you got me thinking about the oil I use in my tractors. :) I have allways used 10w-30 and it sounds like that is different than 30 weight? Am I doing wrong?? again sorry jjuday I didn't want to start a new thread over this. :)

#9 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 06:56 PM

Sorry for the hijack jjuday, but you got me thinking about the oil I use in my tractors. :) I have allways used 10w-30 and it sounds like that is different than 30 weight? Am I doing wrong?? again sorry jjuday I didn't want to start a new thread over this. :)

I dont think there is much of a difference between 30wt and 10W-30
I always use 10W-30 in all my Bolens and 4 cycle engines
  • speedyg said thank you

#10 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted August 15, 2011 - 10:32 AM

He told me that Lucas makes many types of "stop leak" additives and I might just give that a try. I have a leaky gear box on my 32" deck and my TRA10-D Wisconsin leaks some oil.

The best way to "stop" a leak is to FIX the leak !!!!!!!!!!!

Now that we know what you are trying to do, I would advise against using cornhead grease in the mower gearbox. ......The cornhead grease is a #0 or #00 fibre grease. .....It will thin out as it gets hot and leak past the seal in the gearbox. .....Also, it will not do an adequate job of lubing the upper needle bearing on the output shaft of the gearbox.

You need to consider the rpm of the shafts, gears, and bearings when choosing a lubricant. .......While the cornhead (fibre grease) is suitable for slower-speed applications, I don't think it is recommended for higher-speed uses.

If the seal is worn or torn, it will leak no matter what lubricant is used inside the gearbox. ......Bolens recommended 90wt gear oil for use in these gearboxes. .....You could go to SAE 140, but that will also leak if the seal is bad.

So, what makes the seal go bad? ......Worn shaft or bearings, or debris wrapped around the shaft which gets into the seal.

As for the leak on your Wisconsin engine, anything which is thick enough to stop an oil leak, will more than likely not adequately lubricate the internals of your engine.