11 replies to this topic

#1 AZGreenBob OFFLINE  

AZGreenBob

• Member No: 4743
  • 9 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted August 09, 2011 - 08:59 PM

To everyone;

I need to locate a belly pan for my 430 diesel. Condition is not important as long as it is usable as a form or mold to make one from fibreglass. My research tells me that it is necessary for proper cooling for the diesel and for the tranny on the 430. Mine overheated the first time I used it after purchase and the lack of a belly pan may have been part of the problem although it was 105 degrees that day. Any help greatly appreciated and suggestions as well.

Thanks,

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,591 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted August 10, 2011 - 05:41 AM

Have you checked out the rest of the cooling system to make sure it is OK. 105 is pretty extreme and if the rad is flakey it would overheat for sure. The best bet for finding a used pan would be to look on Ebay or any GT recyclers.

#3 AZGreenBob OFFLINE  

AZGreenBob

• 9 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted August 11, 2011 - 08:28 PM

Have you checked out the rest of the cooling system to make sure it is OK. 105 is pretty extreme and if the rad is flakey it would overheat for sure. The best bet for finding a used pan would be to look on Ebay or any GT recyclers.

Brian;

Yes. Just got radiator back from shop. Rodded out and cleaned. Badly clogged. Rebuilt expansion tank. Have new water pump and thermostat and all new hoses. Flushed block 3 times. Only had rusty water in it when I tried it out and it overheated. This should solve most of the problem of the overheat. Now I need the belly pan to ensure proper cooling for the tranny as well. I would even just borrow one long enough to make a fiberglass copy from one. Just don't know of anyone close enough to me to make that happen. Working in the DC area for another week before I get home and can put it all back together. Thanks for the assistance.

Edited by AZGreenBob, August 11, 2011 - 08:35 PM.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,591 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted August 12, 2011 - 05:29 AM

Sounds like you have a good handle on the issue. I don't have any experience with the 430 so I can't help with the transmission cooling issue. Is there any chance you could install an oil cooler in the return line? I seem to remember reading that the older JD GT's run the hydro fluid pretty hot when worked hard.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 36,225 Thanks
  • 29,984 posts

Posted August 12, 2011 - 11:19 AM

I'm pretty sure the hydro is cooled inside the radiator like most auto's. Or at least I'm thinking Meangreen's 430 is like that.
  • crazyhorse said thank you

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,591 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted August 12, 2011 - 02:29 PM

I know that my x475 and the 2320 both have an external cooler that sits just behind the rad. If the 430 has an internal cooler and the engine is overheating because of a faulty rad then that will cause the hydro fluid to overheat as well. I seem to remember a thread somewhere a few years back where someone checked the temp. of the hydro fluid while mowing on a hot day. It seems to me it got to over 200F.
  • crazyhorse said thank you

#7 AZGreenBob OFFLINE  

AZGreenBob

• 9 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 09:15 PM

I know that my x475 and the 2320 both have an external cooler that sits just behind the rad. If the 430 has an internal cooler and the engine is overheating because of a faulty rad then that will cause the hydro fluid to overheat as well. I seem to remember a thread somewhere a few years back where someone checked the temp. of the hydro fluid while mowing on a hot day. It seems to me it got to over 200F.

Guys;

Yes, my 430 (1986 w/2675 hours) has the tranny cooler at the bottom of the radiator. It was also dirty and was cleaned by the radiator shop. Hopefully, when I get the sucker all back together, I will have solved the overheat. I just want the belly pan to ensure I've got the necessary airflow past the tranny. Remember, I'm in SE Arizona. This summer, on my weather station, the highest temp I recorded was 114.4 degrees. I need all the cooling it will handle. I am doing a tranny drain with ATF Type F just in case it got too hot, and after 10 hours I will drain that and go to Amsoil Synthetic Tractor Hydraulic which replaces J2oC or D fluid. I also have to prime and paint the 60" deck that I just got back from the shop. They did a good sandblasting job on it. Real clean. It will get a gear lube and belt change before it goes back on. All new hoses as well. Does anybody have a cross reference for the suction hose on the tranny? I need to get one locally. I think there was a Gates number on the one that is on the tractor but it's too faint to read. Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,591 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 05:43 AM

Guys;

Yes, my 430 (1986 w/2675 hours) has the tranny cooler at the bottom of the radiator. It was also dirty and was cleaned by the radiator shop. Hopefully, when I get the sucker all back together, I will have solved the overheat. I just want the belly pan to ensure I've got the necessary airflow past the tranny. Remember, I'm in SE Arizona. This summer, on my weather station, the highest temp I recorded was 114.4 degrees. I need all the cooling it will handle. I am doing a tranny drain with ATF Type F just in case it got too hot, and after 10 hours I will drain that and go to Amsoil Synthetic Tractor Hydraulic which replaces J2oC or D fluid. I also have to prime and paint the 60" deck that I just got back from the shop. They did a good sandblasting job on it. Real clean. It will get a gear lube and belt change before it goes back on. All new hoses as well. Does anybody have a cross reference for the suction hose on the tranny? I need to get one locally. I think there was a Gates number on the one that is on the tractor but it's too faint to read. Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.

Sounds like you are doing all you can to prevent this happening again. I am going to use the Amsoil fluid in my 2320. They say it will reduce temps. in the fluid by 10 degrees. The 2320 has a noise in the trans. when hot. They tell me this is normal and it was checked by a good tech. at my dealer. The noise is a resonance of some sort that occurs when the fluid is hot and thins out. I am hoping that the Amsoil will reduce this annoying noise by reducing temps and being of a more consistent viscosity. What has your experience been with this fluid?

#9 AZGreenBob OFFLINE  

AZGreenBob

• 9 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 10:49 PM

Sounds like you are doing all you can to prevent this happening again. I am going to use the Amsoil fluid in my 2320. They say it will reduce temps. in the fluid by 10 degrees. The 2320 has a noise in the trans. when hot. They tell me this is normal and it was checked by a good tech. at my dealer. The noise is a resonance of some sort that occurs when the fluid is hot and thins out. I am hoping that the Amsoil will reduce this annoying noise by reducing temps and being of a more consistent viscosity. What has your experience been with this fluid?

Brian;

I've been an Amsoil Dealer since 1983 and nothing I own runs on anything else. I'm going to drain the tranny and refill with Type F ATF and run it for about 10 hours with a new filter, then drain and refill with Amsoil ATH - tractor hydraulic fluid. It exceeds J20C and D specs. You should see a decrease in temps between 10 and 30 degrees. I think you will be pleased with the results. Let me know how it works for you and thanks for all the info so far. I'm sure I'll be bothering everyone on here frequently as I redo my 430.

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,591 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted August 15, 2011 - 05:10 AM

Bob

It's no bother for you to ask for info. That's why this forum exists. 2675 hrs is an impressive figure and a tribute to good maintenance and the Amsoil products. Do you know if they have hydro filters that cross ref. to JD filters?

#11 AZGreenBob OFFLINE  

AZGreenBob

• 9 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted August 16, 2011 - 08:31 PM

Bob

It's no bother for you to ask for info. That's why this forum exists. 2675 hrs is an impressive figure and a tribute to good maintenance and the Amsoil products. Do you know if they have hydro filters that cross ref. to JD filters?

Brian;

The tribute is to John Deere for building a tough tractor. The PO did not love on this baby at all but she runs like a swiss watch. I've only put 2 hours on it since I bought it. It's in pieces in my garage waiting for me to get back from VA where I'm working and start reassembling, cleaning and painting. I can cross reference any filter but it may end up being a Wix or Donaldson if Amsoil doesn't make one for it. Both of the ones for my 430 are Wix filters (engine and tranny). Amsoil can supply all fluids and most air filters as well. I would need to contact our tech services department concerning the 430 air filter (I have the 2 piece filter). Wix does make a filter element for the 2 piece unit. Let me know if I can be of help to you. I will be using our 15W40 synthetic diesel oil in the 430 when I get it running. Thanks.

Bob

#12 AZGreenBob OFFLINE  

AZGreenBob

• 9 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 08:44 PM

To all;

Scored a belly pan for my 430 from a response from another member. Still cleaning and painting on the 430. Hope to have it back together by 1 Oct if I don't have to travel again. I'd really like to mow with it once more before the grass stops growing. I was going to have the seat recovered at an upholstery shop here in town and the guy pulled out a Northern Tools catalog and showed me the replacement seats for John Deeres for $40 dollars less than he can do it. Nice guy. He has done other work for me in the past and did a great job on my bench seat in my truck. Nice to see someone who's not just out for the money and wants to help his customers. I have to call NT and see if it will replace the 430 seat. Still looking for Rear PTO and 3 point hitch parts.

AZGreenBob