mark843

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2905
  • 15 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted August 09, 2011 - 01:50 PM

I can't seem to find a sleeve hitch but I found some plans to build one. The plans are located on this website.

Bolens G Series Compact Tractors

It is lacking some information so maybe someone could help me out and take some measurements for me?

I am looking for the width of steel used on the main hitch U shaped price. I think it would be 38" long and 3/8" thick, but not sure it it is a 2 1/2" or 3" wide piece of steel.

Also it does not have any information stabilizer plate. Can someone take some mesurments for me on that?

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted August 09, 2011 - 05:17 PM

If you look at page 6, which shows the lift arm and the U-shaped piece, you will see that they are both the same width. He gives the dimensions of the lift arm as 3/8' x 2 1/2" x 7". I'd say that you would want 3/8" x 2 1/2" hot rolled stock for those two pieces.

Looking at the pic on page 14, I'd guesstimate that the stabilizer plate is at least 3/16", and most likely 1/4" stock.

I ran a small retail steel supply company for about 8 years, and got very good at "guesstimating" steel sizes.

Just as an FYI as to the difference between Hot Rolled vs Cold Rolled. Cold rolled is more costly than hot rolled, and is ALWAYS undersized. Not by much but it IS undersized. Also, there is really NO difference in strength between the two. For 99% of what we need for these tractors and implements, hot rolled stock is just fine. You really only need cold rolled when you are working with very precise tolerances.

ETA:
Here's a site with some pics of some sleeve hitches for Cub Cadets. It shows a bit different shaped stabilizer piece, but it should give you an idea as to how wide it needs to be. Once you have the hitch make it should be easy enough to take measurements and make your own. Also, after looking at those pics, I'd revise my guesstimate to either 1/8" or 3/16" stock for the stabilizer.

http://ihccw.com/brinly.html

It's also interesting that they show a Brinly Dump attachment for a tube frame Bolens, even though they are supposed to be a Cub Cadet site.

Edited by OldBuzzard, August 09, 2011 - 05:53 PM.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#3 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted August 09, 2011 - 09:05 PM

i now where there is 3 NOS sleeve hitchs for tube frames. if you want one send me a PM