8 replies to this topic

#1 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted August 08, 2011 - 10:29 PM

So, now the JD R is on the back burner again, the wheel horse is out of commission for the 8time in 3 weeks, all of our chainsaws except my little Poulan run like crap... I had to order a special tool for mine... stupid emissions garbage... Just to show the EPA who their dealing with I'm gutting the muffler and making it run a little more rich than it should... We've started cutting firewood, wait no.... I've started cutting fire wood for the winter... Grandpa's saws wont run for nothing and he spends more time trying to start them and working on them than he does cutting with them. in the passed week, only got 3 loads... enough to last maybe 2 weeks in November, early November...

Here's some videos I've done....

Walk around/ talk about of our Oliver 770.... includes history of it in a cold start.
‪Oliver 770 tractor walk around and cold start‬‏ - YouTube

I finished putting the engine on the elevator, finally got around to showing it work.
‪Putting the engine on the elevator part three, the start up/ final product‬‏ - YouTube

Mowing with the Wheel horse raider 10 with 13hp honda repower, before the incident...
‪mowing with the wheel horse raider 10‬‏ - YouTube

And my sears suburban starting after sitting for 3 weeks untouched outside. Had to pull the wheel horse back to the shed for the 8th time... This time because the deck belt exploded, the drive belt got sandwiched between the engine and the pulley, the rear of the deck was also ripped out. I got hit by pieces of the deck belt, had a bruise on my face from it, and a broken pair of sunglasses...
‪1970 sears ss12 tractor cold start and tows wheel horse raider 10 tractor‬‏ - YouTube

That's all for now... got to get some rest to go attempt to cut some more fire wood tomorrow...:wallbanging:

#2 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted August 08, 2011 - 11:14 PM

At least your Sears started. Seemed to come to life without any trouble. Good luck with your repairs to the WheelHorse.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted August 09, 2011 - 12:39 AM

Bill, good luck. I hope it all ends up well for you. Take a minute once in a while and catch your breath.

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted August 09, 2011 - 08:25 AM

Hope things get easier for you Bill.
If you buy a new chainsaw I'd suggest an Echo.

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 09, 2011 - 09:28 AM

Along with the Echo suggested you can't go wrong with a Stihl, Dolmar or Husky either.

Hope you get all of your stuff done. We have a lot of firewood to split that has been needing split for a while now but just not enough time to do it and it's been too darn hot.

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 09, 2011 - 10:23 AM

Along with the Echo suggested you can't go wrong with a Stihl, Dolmar or Husky either.

Hope you get all of your stuff done. We have a lot of firewood to split that has been needing split for a while now but just not enough time to do it and it's been too darn hot.

Yep! Getting Frustrated with a Chainsaw can cost you money! Couple weeks ago , with a Heat Index of 105 degrees, My old Homelite ran abou 8 minutes, died and would not start. A trip to TrueValue and $260 later I was sporting a Stihl MS180C with the Easy Start and Toolless Chain Adjuster. No regrets I really like the Stihl and have cut several loads of brush since! That old Homelite is sitting in the shed and has not been touched since. Think I'll give it to my son, The Grandson is a Wizard with small engines and is young enough to still think it's fun. I just consider it work.

#7 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted August 09, 2011 - 12:04 PM

I wont convert to anything past Poulan for now, my saw runs like a champ and has earned it's keep many times. If I buy another saw I'm thinking of getting one of those Poulan wild things with the 40cc engine.

We don't split or dry our fire wood, we just stack it up starting in august and it drys what ever it drys until it's burnt. We make one stack, about 10ft wide, 30-40ft long and 10-12ft high. Than another stack maybe 20ft long, 10ft wide, 5-10ft high depending on how fast we work. So far we don't have much done, a lot of small stuff from clearing trees blown down by a storm we had. Hopefully if we make it out to the woods today we can start cutting the bigger stuff.

Both of my grandpas saw are mccullochs.... one the ignition is a PITA.... been replaced a few times and the other... the oiler doesn't work, it has to be re-tuned every day, it's just a pain... He's hinted at getting a husky, but we'll see when he finally gives in.

#8 RustyTub OFFLINE  

RustyTub

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2702
  • 25 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted August 09, 2011 - 03:08 PM

I will be cutting wood in 2 weeks! Got all the saws in good order, my Stihl MS440 Magnum, the stihl 260, and 310, both needed a good cleaning. not to run but to keep them cool in this heat. Both my Macs started on the first pull.

Posted Image

Had this delivered last week. Should be fun!!

Good luck with the power equipment, like others said sometimes it is best to step back have a drink and regain your composure

#9 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted August 09, 2011 - 09:57 PM

Well we were back out there today, both my grandfathers saws we acting up as usual. I played monkey and cut the big stuff off the oak we felled a couple days ago and never got back to. Than one of his saws started running decent and I have a trailer load already stacked up so I shut down and started loading up.... Ended up we filed the trailer up above our usual in less time than our usual thanks to the good weather, was only 68 in the woods today.

But.... we have this 20ft long 2ft diameter log sitting out there yet.... and Oliver, our big log skidding tractor for wood fetching jobs would not run for nothing.... So I said forget it and off we went... came back and I had forgotten the fuel on, noticed the bowl was full of water, dumped it and got 3 more bowls full of water out... I had just filled the tank 3-4 days ago to half full and it was running fine... At any rate though we will find out tomorrow if we will be cutting fire wood or firing up the saw mill. We don't buy any wood.... we make everything. Plans for the tree is a 6ft long beam so we can get started on knocking out a wall in our kitchen. we also need some more 2x4's so we'll get some of those.

What makes a tree old growth? the forests around here have never been logged and we have some huge oaks.... some going on 4ft or more in diameter almost...