• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 27, 2011 - 09:17 AM

The good thing about a hydro is how the hydro will bypass pressure when over worked. That is like a safety fuse for the final drive. With gear, there is no protection if things get a bit heavy. That Lister P likely makes a mountain of torque too!

#17 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted August 27, 2011 - 12:37 PM

I believe the sailboat engines are water cooled and possibly 2 cylinder.

Daniel your probably not going to believe this but I'm installing the Lister Petters into a Kubota G3200 running gear. I'm thinking of calling it a Kablister :laughingteeth: I might leave the ATV tires off so the tires will slip if the going gets too tough. Time in the garden will tell. Your right though, the engine does develop bunches of torque.

I actually had the engine in there and a belt temporarily hooked up. Found the arrow on the flywheel and turned it over by hand. Wouldn't you know it, three speeds in reverse and one in forward.:wallbanging: Turned the engine around and I'm installing a jack shaft from the front of the engine to the transmission shaft. This will make it very easy to change speed ratios till I get it right. Sure grateful that everything was just tacked together. Only took about 15 minutes to change.

#18 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 28, 2011 - 06:48 AM

Nice engine. It just shows that it doesn't take a lot of HP to do serious work if you go slow enough. As you found, the rest of the drivetrain needs to be rugged to take that much torque.
Lister is a famous name in small (HP wise) slow speed diesel engines. There are forums dedicated to these engines and their Indian made clones. The standard single cylinder model was 6hp at 600 rpms and weighed like 700lbs+. These used a thermo cycling water cooling arrangement and were known to go 100,000hrs+ without problems. For anyone interested in this retro diesel technology do a search on these and see what comes up.

#19 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 28, 2011 - 07:10 AM

I just got a chance to see this thread. That Lister sounds great. Sounds like it doesn't even break a sweat. I would love if we found a great cheap source for these diesels. I would convert just about every single one of my tractors.

#20 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 28, 2011 - 11:43 AM

I've considered diesel repowers in the past but the biggest obstacle is getting a good quality diesel for a price that makes the swap feasable.

#21 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 28, 2011 - 03:56 PM

I think the genuine article is very expensive. Hatz is a brand that comes to mind. Many people are using the Chinese clones, which are originally a Yanmar design. I think the Yanmar air cooled is still available but again, it is really pricey. The folks who are into making biodiesel and generating their own power have used stationary diesels such as the Lister clones and the Chinese Changfa water cooled units. Do a search on them and you will see they are a pretty strange beast and probably too big and heavy to put in a GT.

#22 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted August 28, 2011 - 08:03 PM

The Lister Petters like mine were used quite extensively in hiway construction light plants and traffic control signs. Mine came out of the latter and only had 400 hours on it. Hatz and an Italian engine were used a lot also. Mine was rated at 8hp running 3000rpm. 5hp at the rpm I'm running. So if you know of someplace that has some of these light plants or lighted traffic control signs setting around or damaged you might want to investigate. I paid $175.00 for mine and it came with the alternator and and controls.
  • wvbuzzmaster and JDBrian have said thanks

#23 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 28, 2011 - 10:53 PM

That is good information to have Chris, but I will still have to wait a while before I start any more projects! lol

#24 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 07:58 AM

Here are some of the brands of small air cooled and water cooled diesel engines that might make good potential power plants for diesel re-powers. Of course this list is not complete but might give you some idea of where to start looking.

Hatz
Deutz
Lombardini
Lister
Kubota
Yanmar
Kohler
Robin
Wisconsin
Onan

The Chinese diesel clones are marketed under a variety of names.

JN
  • Cvans said thank you

#25 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 02:41 PM

The Lister Petters like mine were used quite extensively in hiway construction light plants and traffic control signs. Mine came out of the latter and only had 400 hours on it. Hatz and an Italian engine were used a lot also. Mine was rated at 8hp running 3000rpm. 5hp at the rpm I'm running. So if you know of someplace that has some of these light plants or lighted traffic control signs setting around or damaged you might want to investigate. I paid $175.00 for mine and it came with the alternator and and controls.

Thanks for that info. A lot of the highway construction warning lights I see these days are solar powered. You got an excellent deal on the engine and thanks for passing along the tip.