• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 woodwrkn OFFLINE  

woodwrkn

• Member No: 5438
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted August 08, 2011 - 05:16 PM

I have a craftsman tractor maybe 8 years old. The batteries continue to die, is there a part that charges them when using the tractor?

Also today we were given a NAPA battery and the terminals + and - are reversed, while I was at work my son put it in and attached a battery charger, he found out quickly with the ark that something was wrong. Forget the fact that he fried the charger, did he ruin any parts in the tractor that I have to now replace because I can't even get it to turn over now, it appears dead with a good battery?

Can anyone help me with this please

#2 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted August 08, 2011 - 05:46 PM

With the age of the machine, it is a good possibility that there is a fuse in the lines somewhere. I don't know where, but start looking under the dash and between the dash and the engine. They are often just like the fuses in the car. There may even be 2. If there are, one will be for the charging circuit and one will be for the rest of the tractor.

If you get it running again, beg, borrow, or buy a digital MultiMeter and measure the voltage on the battery before, during and after starting. the last one should be at half or better throttle.

What you will see (hopefully) is 12.5 or better sitting, a small drop while starting, and over 13.5 at half throttle. Let us know what you find.

You may need to do a little research on where your regulator is. If it's not charging or over charging the batteries, this would probably be your next step.
  • woodwrkn said thank you

#3 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 280 Thanks
  • 269 posts

Posted August 08, 2011 - 06:26 PM

Woodwrkn, A battery can be charged backwards. Usually it happens when someone hooks up a charger to a dead battery. No big arc because there is no voltage stored in the battery. If you use something to put a load on the battery to discharge it completely like a bulb or headlight, when its good and dead you can use the charger to recharge it to the correct polarity. As for the dead tractor if you're lucky there's a fuse somewhere, if not there's an circuit problem caused by the arcing. Time for the multimeter and wiring diagram. Good luck.
Larry

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 08, 2011 - 06:49 PM

I assume you mean that the terminal are physically reversed and not that the battery voltage reads opposite to what it should. I am surprised that your charger did not have reverse polarity protection. Most chargers are protected from reverse connection. Depending on the design of the regulator circuitry you could have damaged it by connecting the battery in reverse. As said above look for an open fuse or circuit breaker first.

#5 woodwrkn OFFLINE  

woodwrkn

• 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted August 09, 2011 - 03:32 PM

Well thank you to all who answered, I took the batteries to sears they wouldn't hold the charge, bought a new one, found the blown fuse mh81 I didn't know it had and replaced the soleniod and iginition switch and she started right up.......and sears replaced the fried charger under warranty....some days you get lucky...thanks

#6 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted August 09, 2011 - 04:47 PM

Glad to hear she's running again. If you get a chance, post a picture.

Btw, keep an eye on the charging... It may still discharge the batteries if there is a problem with the regulator.

#7 woodwrkn OFFLINE  

woodwrkn

• 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted August 09, 2011 - 05:56 PM

I could not find a regulator anywhere so I think it is optional, the schematic doesn't show one in the wiring diagram so I am not sure if I even have one, thank you for your help, first time I used a forum and it worked out well thanks to the good folks like you who replied....

Glad to hear she's running again. If you get a chance, post a picture.

Btw, keep an eye on the charging... It may still discharge the batteries if there is a problem with the regulator.

#8 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 09, 2011 - 06:27 PM

If it doesn't have an electric PTO clutch, then likely it's a simple one wire charge circuit with an inline diode to rectify the AC to 12VDC at like a 1 1/2 amp rate. No regulators on this type charge system.
  • MH81 said thank you

#9 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted August 09, 2011 - 08:56 PM

I think craftsman had the electric pto on almost everything by then. Maybe not, IDK for sure. Even if it does, the may still have a rectified, wide open charging circuit.