Thats a nice Tractor !

#17 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 09, 2011 - 08:03 AM

Restored is cool for someone else, but not high on my list of wants.
Maybe, my father ruined me, by always teaching me to be too practical?
When I bought my first new car in 1970, I wanted a Plymouth Duster Hi C Orange with the 340 6 pack.
Dad talked me into buying the Ice Blue 6 cyl 3 speed instead. Great car by the way.

So while I like nice, I would not buy a tractor that I would not or could not use.
The one I have always wanted was a Ford NAA and would buy one that was complete and refurbished to like new.
But would not hesitate if it had been converted to 12 volt and had an alternator instead of generator.

#18 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 477 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted August 09, 2011 - 09:55 AM

I think it depends on how rare the tractor is.I learned never say never.

#19 23NOBLE OFFLINE  

23NOBLE

• Member No: 5503
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted August 12, 2011 - 09:46 PM

I would say no. How many guys do you know that did an all out restore and then sold it. If someone does a nice restore and does it correctly they dont sell them. If someone is throwing them together, making them run, and shooting with paint just to sell them they are not doing quality work in my eyes. I would have to look over the tractor good, and know the story behind it.....besides what fun would it be to sit in the shop and polish tractors someone else built. I like the challange of restoring my own. Just my opinion.

#20 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted August 12, 2011 - 10:03 PM

There are too many surprises in a tractor I have not done myself.

That T90. That is the first one I have ever seen. Was that actually built by Case or is it Custom?

#21 Tobal OFFLINE  

Tobal

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4710
  • 3 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 10:45 AM

I would, but I'd use the heck out of it. It would need to be a good deal. I'd buy any number of the one's restored by the guys here. I'm probably more of a collector on a restorers budget. :)

I don't have the skill these guys have, but I have the appreciation of thier work and the old iron. I work 60 hours a week and have small kids I don't golf, hunt, scuba dive, drink or do drugs so If I see a tractor I want the wife encourages me to get it. Depending on how you look at it, it's either good or bad I live so far away from GT hotbeds.

So if any of you guys with nice restore jobs want to sell call my wife I have a birthday coming up :) I'd rather have a GT than a tie.

#22 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 477 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 07:27 PM

Yes the t90 was built by case.There was are around 50 some built,and 16 known to exist.You are going to see over the next 2 to 5 years alot of tractors coming up for sale.Because of some older collectors are starting to get out of the hobby because of age,and wanting to pass on some of there collection to the next generation.

#23 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 08:06 PM

I had a T90 once, but it was a T90 transmission in my old 62 IH Scout! That T90 Josh has is lots better!

#24 83MALIBU OFFLINE  

83MALIBU

• Member No: 1750
  • 40 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted August 22, 2011 - 07:42 AM

I would by a restored GT if it was something I really wanted. I'm like everyone else and like to tinker with mine.

#25 Gary Burnett OFFLINE  

Gary Burnett

• Member No: 44
  • 10 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted August 24, 2011 - 05:51 AM

Since I buy garden tractors to use and not into having a musem piece I'll buy them in any condition from parts machine to first class restored and nice original have examples of all 3 and not afraid to give any of them a workout in the garden or here on the farm.Had my 230 hr Simplicity Sunstar down by the river the other day with a tandem dump trailer hooked to it repairing fence.

#26 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,158 Thanks
  • 1,161 posts

Posted August 24, 2011 - 04:29 PM

like josh stated,an older gentleman is wanting to downsize his collection and all his stockpile of spare parts,90 percent cub cadets,he would sell me an restored original for less than it would cost me to restore mine,but the fun is in making one look like it just came off the showroom floor,still going to go look at everything he has,i do have room for two,and some extra parts

#27 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 24, 2011 - 06:34 PM

To me the fun of the hobby, is in the hunt, and the resto. But if I was really wanting a particular one that I hadn't been able
to find for quite some time, and a resto'd one came up at the right price, I'd buy it.
Then I'd reresto it. But the price would have to be right.
Like Josh said, you may never see one again.

#28 Gary Burnett OFFLINE  

Gary Burnett

• Member No: 44
  • 10 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted August 24, 2011 - 07:58 PM

So the more work and $$$ someone puts into a Garden Tractor the less value it has?

#29 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 24, 2011 - 08:17 PM

So the more work and $$$ someone puts into a Garden Tractor the less value it has?

I don't see it that way, because many/most members here that have responded in this thread, are restorers.
That doesn't mean there isn't a market out there of people that will buy a resto'd tractor. They maybe just aren't into "it", as the members
here. Of course there is a point where putting in too much, is too much. Tough call.

#30 546cowboy OFFLINE  

546cowboy

• Member No: 5766
  • 6 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 07:08 PM

Well personally I have never bought a restored Garden Tractor but here is the reason I have 20 of them and do clean them up, paint them, get them running reliably and sell them. I do it to keep the scrappers and parts strippers from getting them. I sell them so I have the money to buy more to redo. You notice I said redo not restore to make them perfect. When I get done with one it will be used and enjoyed by someone for many years. That is if they take care of them. We all know what the younger generation thinks. Go to the big box store and get one, use it without doing anything to it and when it quits go buy a new one.