32 replies to this topic

#1 tweidman OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted August 08, 2011 - 02:06 PM

Im just wondering if you would buy a tractor that was already restored? Why or why not?

The restoration is part of the hobby for me, so... I can't see me buying one that was already restored, unless it was a crazy good deal? :blush2:

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted August 08, 2011 - 03:17 PM

I would buy a restored garden tractor. Why? Because I am lazy like that :D

Honestly though it would have to be a super good deal for me to do so though.

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 08, 2011 - 03:24 PM

I don't know,it would all depend on the price. I think I would much rather restore one myself.

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 08, 2011 - 03:30 PM

As tweidman said above, the restoration is my favorite part of the hobby. I don't think I'd buy one that was already restored, for one thing they're usually way out of my price range, and for another, the hunt for a project and finding all the pieces that complete it are my second favorite aspects next to actually doing the restoration work.

#5 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted August 08, 2011 - 03:31 PM

If I had an abundant amount of money and it wasn't going to be a tractor used for for work I might pick up some already restored classics.

#6 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,055 Thanks
  • 1,436 posts

Posted August 08, 2011 - 04:21 PM

I'am kinda not sure either.It would have to be a good deal and restored to my liking.On the other hand I usually like to buy something that needs fixing.It's usually a winter project that I look for.The thing is my winter projects don't have to be GTs.Larry

#7 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,423 Thanks
  • 2,785 posts

Posted August 08, 2011 - 06:37 PM

No. Not a chance, unless i knew how it was done. The price of it doesnt come into play, but the fact that maybe incorrect or subtuted parts were used. If i pay good money for an already done tractor, it should be just that. I dont want to find out a yr later that someone put the wrong sized bolts on or that the clutch is full of odd parts because the guy didnt really know or care how to do it right. It is amazing how some other parts will fit...kind of. Also who painted it? Is it a close match to the orginal paint color? The last thing you need is for a red tractor to go purple, because the paint was bad, or have one start to fade in places, and not in others, or have various rust thoughs breakouts. Im sorry, im sure that there are lots out there that do fine jobs for themselves, but i dont take short cuts here and wouldnt want to redo someone elses.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 08, 2011 - 06:43 PM

You don't often see a restored older GT for sale. I would prefer one that was well maintained but still with original paint. That way you know what you are getting.

#9 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 478 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted August 08, 2011 - 06:50 PM

I always thought that I would not buy an restored tractor.Then I got phone call to buy a case t90.It was already restored.Considering that there only about 16 known to exist.I bought it becouse it will be hard to find another one.And I figured that if it didn't suit me.I could always do it over.

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,502 Thanks
  • 5,269 posts

Posted August 08, 2011 - 07:00 PM

I sold one once, not really a restored tractor but it was all fixed up and put in good working condition with a Honda clone in it.
Guy who bought it did not want a box store tractor, wanted something older and in like new condition for cutting grass and hauling stuff around in a small trailer. This is it's story.

mf12 003.jpg
mf12 004.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• mf12 001.jpg
  • mf12 002.jpg

#11 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,340 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted August 08, 2011 - 08:33 PM

Normally no as I like most here would rather do the job myself for the the feeling of accomplishment that I did the job. However we did once buy a restored Farmall Cub because it was part of a collection of a friend in the IH Collectors club and we knew how it was done and were looking for a cub. Plus it also helped the friend out at his auction as well.

#12 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,461 Thanks
  • 2,527 posts

Posted August 08, 2011 - 09:09 PM

I agree with lauber1. If I'm going to buy an older tractor, than I want it unrestored. I would rather do all the work to it, knowing it's done right, with all the correct parts. I also like them greasy. Helps with tearing them apart! When I look for a used tractor, I also try and find one that never had any engine work done. I want to know if the transmission ever had any work done as well.
I bought a tractor one time, and the previous owner told me he reworked the transmission, and "now it works like a top". WRONG! Somehow, the tractor didn't have reverse. Oh sure, I checked to see if it shifted into all 4 forward gears, but never thought to check reverse. The owner didn't have a battery in it, but ashored me the motor ran good. So I took him on his word and paid for the tractor and headed home. Didn't find out about the reverse issue until I got home, put a battery in it, and went to back it into the shed. Funny how the gentleman never answers his phone, or returns my messages. Guess I'll just have to stop and pay him a visit some night!

#13 Cvans OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,324 Thanks
  • 4,918 posts

Posted August 08, 2011 - 09:10 PM

Possibly but I would have to know exactly what went into it. Some people call a new coat of paint a restore and I don't buy that. I guess I'm in agreement with Lauber1. I have had too many experiences with misrepresented tractors and attachments. As much as I'd like to buy blindly I just don't do it anymore.:(

#14 dualsportklx OFFLINE  

• Member No: 5415
  • 3 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted August 09, 2011 - 07:41 AM

no, the enjoyment for me is the before and after restoration.

#15 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 478 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted August 09, 2011 - 07:55 AM

here is a picture of the t90

Attached Thumbnails

• 6-14-2011 029.jpg

• Bolens 1000, mikebramel and IamSherwood have said thanks