Garden Tractor Forums banner

My new 30 year old John Deere 317

6K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Popeyes Hemi 
#1 ·
Well my 317 was delivered sunday and it looked as good as the pictures. The owner started it right up and drove it off the trailer then cut a bit of grass and told me to as well. Steering is a bit sloppy and he has a few rattles but he's old right! I shut it down and popped the cover to see what I had and the air breather was off laying down on the side of the engine. He said it had always been that way but he would set it up on the carb and it would stay in place but it did not. I asked him to pull the oil dip stick and he pulled the oil fill plug and he would keep the oil at bottom edge of it. I said why not use the oil dip stick right here next to it. He said he never noticed it, oops!! When Ichecked the oil level there was no oil on it. I put 1.25 quarts into get it to the full mark. I looked it over and found nothing leaking or broken. The mower deck is in need of wheels and blades. The rear tires are showing their age, cracks in sidewalls. I mowed the 1.35 acres in 95 degree heat. No problems except for running out of gas. This 317 has a sweet spot it seems to want to run at not quite full throttle. I need to adjust the carb and do a tune up. I fixed the breather by using one of the battery hold down J-bolts. I need a rebuild kit for the mower deck M00596x s/n: 012509 and I found a kit that includes spindle bearings, 4 deck wheels, belts and blades for $200 is that a good price. Where do you all get these older parts from? I could use the operators manual (OMM 84243), for a 317 and may have found one online for $25. I would like to know how to adjust the mower deck stop if anyone here knows.

Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
You can go to JDParts.com and access the parts diagrams for your tractor. The service manual is much harder to find. The transmission and front axle/steering is nearly identical to a 140. You can download the CTSM document for the 140 from the manuals section of this forum. There is an adjustment procedure in that document for removing the slack in the steering gear. You will also need to check the tie rod ends, spindles , wheel bearings, axle pivot and bushings to see where the slack is in the steering.
I have a 314 and have done all that stuff to mine.

#4 ·
Thanks Chuck and JDBrian, I have the parts manual for the 317 and the CTSM document for the 140. I have the Kohler service and owners manuals. Would either of you have info for a 46" mower deck Model M00596x? I downloaded a few manuals from this site: WFMFiles.com
Brian do you have a manual for your 314 and if so where did you get yours?

#5 ·
Popeyes Hemi said:
Thanks Chuck and JDBrian, I have the parts manual for the 317 and the CTSM document for the 140. I have the Kohler service and owners manuals. Would either of you have info for a 46" mower deck Model M00596x? I downloaded a few manuals from this site: WFMFiles.com
Brian do you have a manual for your 314 and if so where did you get yours?
I have an owners manual. I ordered it from Deere for about 25$. The manual is very basic and only covers the bare tractor and not attachments. For service info. I have relied on the bits and pieces of info. available from the manuals on the forum and from Kohler. For electrical wiring the 200 series is pretty similiar. There are some differences but it is worth downloading the 200 series service manual. Good luck getting it sorted out and keep us up to date with what you find. Some pictures would be appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.