#1 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,075 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted April 13, 2010 - 04:24 PM

Decided to build myself a topsoil screener.I looked around my place and found most of the material to build one from old used steel etc.Of course I was in Winnipeg last week and bought some new steel for to have on hand for different project's.So while I was in there I bought a 4'x6' expanded steel 3/4" holes to use for the screen.Anyway I welded up the main shaker table last week had some used 1 1/2" angle iron and also some angle iron side rails from old bed frames. So I had enough to make the shaker frame.I welded 2 angle iron together making sq tubing. That was last week Today I cut some of the pipe that I had laying around and started making the the outer frame.I didn't quite get it all welded up.Had to quit for two reason's blew 2 of the diodes in the welder,don't know why it's only 30 yrs old.It's got 4 diodes in it and 2 blew last year about this time so guess it's time for the other 2 to go .It's a Century tri star AC DC reverse polarity been a good welder ,plus my ache's and pains stopped me from doing to much.Took the welder apart and found the problem blown diodes.Have to go into winnipeg to get parts for the welder.Have a bunch of stuff to do while in there will be a busy day. Anyway took some pics of what I've gotten done so far. It was a good day to be welding outside as there was a nice breeze and it kept the fumes from me.The pipe is galvanized so don't mind welding that when it's windy.Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• soil screener 001.jpg
  • soil screener 002.jpg

Edited by massey driver, April 13, 2010 - 06:41 PM.

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 13, 2010 - 06:00 PM

Did you know that drinking a large glass of milk is somewhat of an antidote for galvanize poisoning ,it counteracts some of the effects.

#3 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,075 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted April 13, 2010 - 06:39 PM

Did you know that drinking a large glass of milk is somewhat of an antidote for galvanize poisoning ,it counteracts some of the effects.

Thanks for that Maynard I'll have to remeber to do that if feeling down from welding it.I'am almost done with the galvanized pipe just a few more weld's to do then I'll be just mild steel.What I also do is hold my breath for as long as I can,stop take a few steps away and take a breath,I don't breathe while welding galvanize just weld untill need air.LOL. I was going to try something different I was going to put a pedestal fan behind me and let it blow the fumes away.It was nice and windy today so made sure my back was to the wind and it worked out good untill the welder quit on me.Oh well called Welder's supply and they have the diode's in stock so maybe will have it working tommoro night.Like I said earlier I'll have to remeber that trick with the milk[mind you I drink a fair amount [with of course chocolate mix] Larry

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 15, 2010 - 07:12 PM

You know what is bad is it wasn't until a couple years ago that I knew that galvanized fumes were bad for you and I don't even want to know how much welding and grinding I have done on galvanized.

I know it don't look like much yet Larry but I can't wait to see what the finished product looks like. I am glad to see you decided to tackle the project.

#5 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,075 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted April 16, 2010 - 07:23 AM

You know what is bad is it wasn't until a couple years ago that I knew that galvanized fumes were bad for you and I don't even want to know how much welding and grinding I have done on galvanized.

I know it don't look like much yet Larry but I can't wait to see what the finished product looks like. I am glad to see you decided to tackle the project.

Hi George.The first time that I welded galv.I ended up with a bit of a headache and hated the smell of the fumes.I didn't like it at all so now I stay away from galv.This time however because of not really wanting to spend to much money on this I'am using what I have on hand.The outer frame is going to be the galv pipe from when I bought this place there was a well already here 180' feet deep and the hand pump that sat on it had 80' of this pipe on it down into the well.I figured that I may as well use this up it's just sitting here so ???.I've been lucky as its been windy here everyday so weld outside with the wind to my back and it's been good.Only a few more welds to go with the galv.If the wind isn't there I'll place the fan behind me to keep fresh air comming at me. Was in Winnipeg Tues so picked up the diodes for the welder put it together and now its good to go.I finished welding what I had to yesterday and welded on a couple 3/4" bolts on each side to act as axle's for the two wheels and welded on a couple short pieces of pipe to act as feet on the downside end.It doesn't look like much but if it does the trick that's all that matters.I;am not going for looks on this build,it's more for let's hope its works and does the trick.Looked at some different ones on the net so kinda going by what they did and seeing how things work out.This is one of these projects where it's something to try and play around with.{you know something to see if I can do it} Larry

#6 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,075 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted April 16, 2010 - 06:16 PM

Did a bit more work on the screener today.Put the outer main frame together,put the shaking table on to check the angle.Put the springs on and the chains on the front.Having chains give me a pretty good variable of adjusting the table angle.I just have to take the bolt and nut off each side and lift the table up one link at a time,allowing me to change the angle.I put the screen on just with c clamps to see how the tractor would fit under the screener to remove the screened soil.I also checked it for the dumped in height for clearance. I'am thinking I might put a spring on each side that will put tension on the table pulling it back towards the high side.It shakes and moves around pretty good right now so I think I have the springs mounted in the right spot,I got on top and it held me no problem. Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• soil screener 003.jpg
  • soil screener 006.jpg
  • soil screener 007.jpg
  • soil screener 008.jpg

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 16, 2010 - 08:42 PM

Project is coming right along! As to galvanize welding fumes...it can KILL you. I know of at least 2 guys that died from complications of breathing galvanize fumes. Be careful......VERY careful!
  • Bolens 1000 and harrycu have said thanks

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted April 17, 2010 - 07:48 AM

Looks like the Project is comming right along :thumbs:

#9 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted April 17, 2010 - 07:58 AM

I can't wait to see the finished product. I want to build one for myself, I'm waiting for you to go threw the trial and error process for me first. LOL

#10 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,075 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted April 17, 2010 - 08:43 PM

Did a bit more today.Put brackets on for [wings] to keep the soil from spilling over the sides. I also added in a spring in the center to pull the table back up.I was thinking with the slope it's got a tendency to want to move towards the lower end so put a spring in the center to keep tension of the table up towards the high end.Stood on it and it seems to feel way better.Put a slip in hitch so it can be pulled from one place to another.Made it so it's like a sleeve hitch.When using it just pull one pin and pull the hitch out so it's not in the way. I'am happy with how its comming along so far.Next will be making the motor mount and then the,offset flywheel. Still have to make some sort of fuel tank mount for the top of the motor.I have a plastic tank off ??? that I need to mount.I also need to cut down the old armature shaft to length and then take it to my neighbors shop in town and use his lathe to turn it down to a 3/4" shaft.I have to do this because of the motor having a tapered shaft.Its a motor off a generator that was in a highway slide at 110 klms and slid into on comming traffic,comming to rest in front of a 1 ton truck.$3500 damage to the truck.Anyway the motor was free so just need to make it work.Larry.

Attached Thumbnails

• soil screener 009 (Small).jpg
  • soil screener 010 (Small).jpg

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 18, 2010 - 01:11 PM

It's coming right along Larry. I can't wait to see the finished product and I think it would be great if you posted video when it is done :D

#12 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,075 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted April 19, 2010 - 08:33 PM

Did a bit more today.Made the vibrator part.Used a spindle from off a old Lawnflite mower deck I had to take it all apart and put grease into the brgs,plus clean all the rust etc off it.The weight is from a old hand lift lever off some old implement.I made the mounting plate and welded it to the screening table.After putting it all in place I made a guard to keep things from flying at,possibly me.Next I'll have to make a mount for the motor,I want to make it so that it slips on and off just by removing one pin.This way I can take the motor off and put it away out of the weather. Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• soil screener 011.jpg
  • soil screener 012.jpg
  • soil screener 013.jpg

Edited by massey driver, April 20, 2010 - 08:44 PM.

#13 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted April 20, 2010 - 03:23 PM

Looking Good! :dancingbanana:

#14 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,075 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted April 20, 2010 - 08:55 PM

Did a bit behind the scene today.Built a plate to mount the plastic gas tank onto the motor.Cut the tapered shaft down to length,put it on a lathe and turned it to accept a pulley with a 13/16" bore.Motor didn't want to run right so had to take the carb off and clean it put it back on still wouldn't run properly.HUM take it off again look really close to see why.Found the reason there was a welch plug missing it looks like a minature frost plug.Went into town no one had one.Came home made my own out of a pop can.Used a plug punch 5/16" and punched one out,it fit perfect so took a little bit of 5 minute expoxy and put it over top just to make sure it didn't leak.Wasn't to worried about using the expoxy there as it'll probably never have to come apart nothing to fix in that area just 3 tiny holes.Put it all back together gave it one pull and it started right up.So set the air mixture screw and now it purr's beautifully.Made a plate for the motor to bolt to and now onto the next step.{installing the motor} Larry

Edited by massey driver, April 21, 2010 - 07:08 AM.

#15 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,075 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted April 21, 2010 - 07:52 PM

Put the motor on,it's on a sleeve so one pin keeps it in place ,take the pin out pull the motor off and put into the shed out of the weather.I bolted the screen on today used 5/16 bolts with nyloc nut's.Bought some treated boards for the wings bolted them on. Once had all that done took it to the soil pile and started screening,works very nice.I ran the motor just above idle and it worked but ran it half throttle and shake's like crazy.Downside is very noisy at half throttle.What I did was let it idle slowly dump in the soil get off the tractor rev it up a bit and let it really shake.Because of all the roots I got a fan rake and pulled them out and down to clean them off the screen.Worked good,I will need to wear ear plugs it's to loud for me when I rev it up a bit.All I know is that it's sure going to be a back saver for sure.One thing I do need to do is to put a piece of plywood at the downside end to keep the screened soil away from the spoils.I'll do that before I use it the next time,so that I'll beable to use the loader to remove the screened soil from under neath and take it to a pile.What I did with the spoils was just push them to the side with the loader and scoop them up and put them into one big hole that I have been slowly filling up.From the way it works I don't have to do any major changes.I do know I have to angle the hitch up just a bit as it's too low for me to hook it up onto my 3pth bar,so I'll change that.I parked it in the shed for now and once it gets painted then I'll leave it outside,except for the motor.Not sure what color to paint it yet will figure it out next time I'am out and looking at paint.I know everyone would like to see a video of it working but I can't do that.Don't have video camera,and even if I did I'd not beable to upload it.I'am on dial up:wallbanging: so just can't do that,picture's are the best I can do.I'am glad it's done now I can screen the soil that I have in the yard.Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• soil screener 014.jpg
  • soil screener 015.jpg
  • soil screener 017.jpg
  • soil screener 018.jpg