• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 reece110 OFFLINE  

reece110

• Member No: 5340
  • 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted August 06, 2011 - 10:04 PM

im wanting to put a stack up the middle of the hood on my 73 john deere 110. but the only problem is.. how would i open the hood to put gas in ect.?? i haave a bent chrome stack from hapco parts. will post pics tomorrow of my tractor. just need some ideas..??

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 07, 2011 - 04:57 AM

:wave: reece110 Welcome to GTTalk! I'm sure that it could be worked out. If you made a short pipe under the hood and made the stack to slip onto that pipe, it could work. Hopefully someone with a little more familiarity with that tractor and have some other advice for you! We hope that you enjoy the forum! Thanks for signing up!

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,465 Thanks
  • 39,697 posts

Posted August 07, 2011 - 05:24 AM

I wouldn't cut a hole in a good hood! But, it's your tractor.

#4 reece110 OFFLINE  

reece110

• 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted August 07, 2011 - 10:44 AM

i dont really want to but ive never seen a stock garden tractor with it up the hood. i think it would look cool.

#5 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted August 07, 2011 - 10:59 AM

On heavy equipment we mount stack rigid to the hood. Then allow the pipe under the hood to fit up inside the pipe on the hood. The pipe on the hood would need to be several sizes bigger than the one under the hood. This also causes a venturi affect that draws air from under the hood that tends to keep the pipe a bit cooler and preserving the chrome finish.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 07, 2011 - 11:08 AM

With a fiberglass hood, the rigid pipe to hood would end in disaster most definitely. No good way to do it without disabling the hood tilt function.

#7 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted August 09, 2011 - 01:40 AM

if your looking at adding more than 1 90degree bend in air flow, your looking at adding too much back pressure too if your not careful...

Ditto on the fiber glass hood thing... I'd say just run it out the side and up. Keeps things original and that's what judges like at shows.

#8 reece110 OFFLINE  

reece110

• 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted August 09, 2011 - 09:36 AM

i have had it up the side for about a year now. just thought it would look cool up the hood like a real tractor.

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 09, 2011 - 09:52 AM

i have had it up the side for about a year now. just thought it would look cool up the hood like a real tractor.

Through the center of the hood would look cool but there is a lot of stuff to take into consideration. I would only do it if I had a spare hood due to value of the John Deere. Second you would have to reinforce the hood to support the stack that is mounted to it. There would be no way to do the stack through the hood with the hood still opening via hinge. You could put hood pins on it to lift the hood straight off.

If you want to do the hinged hood, you would have to hard pipe out of the motor and then mount a second larger stack on the hood(hence the reinforcement) for it to slip down over the hard pipe off of the motor. You would also need to make sure there is enough clearance for the pipes to not hit each other because the vibration would destroy the hood in pretty quick order.

#10 reece110 OFFLINE  

reece110

• 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted August 09, 2011 - 02:03 PM

was planning on drilling hole and NOT mounting pipe to hood. and just run it through the hole.but i dont think ill will come through with this idea.

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 09, 2011 - 02:17 PM

was planning on drilling hole and NOT mounting pipe to hood. and just run it through the hole.but i dont think ill will come through with this idea.

You could do it that way, the whole would have to be a good bit bigger then the pipe and the pipe wouldn't be able to stick too far out. Main issue would be having all the exhaust around at head level.

#12 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted August 17, 2011 - 12:59 AM

Just a thought, you could cut like a 1 3/4 hole in the hood. Bring the 1" up to about 1/2" above the hood. Attach a stainless steel collar to dress up the hole. Make the stack of 1 1/4 inch and weld pins opposite each other on the 1" just below the hood. Cut "L" shaped slots in the top stack to make a twist lock system to attach it to the lower 1" stack. Untwist the upper stack to remove and then open your hood. Might take a little head scratching but very doable and if you don't like it you can patch the fiberglass hood very easily.

#13 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 17, 2011 - 04:33 AM

:wave: reece110 Welcome to GTTalk! I'm sure that it could be worked out. If you made a short pipe under the hood and made the stack to slip onto that pipe, it could work. !

If you feel the need to cut your hood,then this idea will work. That is how pipe was on my 1956 John Deere crawler. if you don't want it to spin,just cut a slot in the pipe to act as a key way,and weld a piece of key stock on the lower pipe.

#14 Insight3 OFFLINE  

Insight3

• Member No: 5642
  • 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 12:37 PM

I would avoid cutting up the hood. The exhaust port on the 110 is easy enough to get at and only have 1 bend to a vertical exhaust. One more word of caution....make sure the vertical pipe is tall enough so the exhaust isnt blowing in your face.!!

Jeff