Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Would anybody be interested in a Lititz, PA Show??

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted August 06, 2011 - 07:02 PM

Hey Guys,

I'm thinking about starting a Tractor Show here in Lititz, Pennsylvania (Lancaster County). I have been requesting permission to use the Park for a Tractor Show for about three years, and finally got the approval. The Lititz Springs Park would give the show a real nice grove type setting, and shouldn't be real hot under the trees. I've been told to pick a date, so that it won't interfere with other groups and shows that have the park reserved for other occasions, but I can't decide if I want to plan a show in the Spring of the year, or if I should plan the event in the late Summer, early Fall. I don't want to interfere with Spring planting, but yet I don't want to interfere with Fall harvest either. I feel the Summer is just to hot, and the weather is too unpredictable as for rain and thunderstrms. I'm also trying to decide if I want to do a Farm Tractor/Garden Tractor Show, or just keep it to a Garden Tractor Show. Give me some feedback, as to how many guys might be interested in coming, and as to which type of show I should go with.

There isn't a whole lot of space available in the Park, but I figured, until the Show really take's off, I may not need a lot a room for the first couple of years. If it turns out that we need more room, I have a couple of farmers that would be more than happy to supply me with a field. I'm almost thinking about bagging the Park and just going with the field area, so we have the room for Farm Tractors, Lawn & Garden Tractors, Trucks and Trailers, and possibly setting up something for a pull area. I have so many options, that it almost blows my mind.

My other wonder is:confuse:, do I want a one day only Show, or do I want to go with a Weekend Show (Saturday and Sunday). Let me know what you guys think. I'd appreciate the input and ideas.:wave:

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 06, 2011 - 07:54 PM

I'm not a lawyer but I think that you should look into forming a "club" or organization to host the show. There are issues to be considered such as liability insurance (which will protect both you and the attendees) I'm not at all trying to put a damper on your plans, I think it's a fantastic idea! I'm sure that there are some other members on here who have been involved in running and coordinating shows before and I'm sure that they'll be along soon. As to what to invite to the show...that's up to you and the folks you form your club with. I can say that there aren't many garden tractor only shows around and if it's a successful venture, that may draw folks from far and wide! Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress!
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#3 truck21 OFFLINE  

truck21

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2813
  • 431 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted August 06, 2011 - 08:04 PM

HI TROY,

I have three guy`s here that say let`s go for it. And if there is anything Ican do to help let me know. Also if you have some time I am having a slotcar race tomorrow starting at 12:00 stop in if you want.

THANKS DON.

#4 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted August 06, 2011 - 08:30 PM

Thanks Steve, didn't give the Liability issue a thought. Good thinking!

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,228 Thanks
  • 28,593 posts

Posted August 06, 2011 - 09:51 PM

I think it's a great idea, and agree with what Caseguy said. If there are any clubs already formed, maybe take a look at someone elses bylaws and adapt it to your needs.

#6 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted August 07, 2011 - 09:57 PM

There is a really nice show already in lititz, over at the kline farm, it was in june.
I believe allis was the feature.

#7 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2133
  • 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 01:08 PM

i would go. im into garden tractors and heavy equipment more than farm tractors. I was at LAGC extravaganza and the Kinzers rough and tumble this weekend

#8 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,913 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 06:06 PM

Troy, I think thats a great idea . I wonder if the park would need liability to cover them. From what I've heard event insurance is fairly costly. In a field might limit the timing around the crops. Shorty

#9 Kevin Vasich OFFLINE  

Kevin Vasich

• Member No: 7211
  • 87 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted November 27, 2011 - 05:53 PM

HI Me and a freind want to go to show PA is big I don't know where is Lititz is? PA is not far for me from Ohio. Summer is best for me. Please let me know.

#10 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted November 27, 2011 - 08:25 PM

Guys, I hear your advice and your requests, and will let you know what I can come up with.

Halfscale, I am aware of the Kline Show. Paul and Ron Kline are very good friends of mine, and believe me, I'd never try to interfere with thier show date. They always have thier show the weekend of Father's Day. They always have a very nice display, and I think very highly of them, and respect them very much.

I can't make any promisses right now, but will do the best I can. If I can get one of my Farmer friends to let us use his field, both for showing and plowing (for fun), I don't think liability will be an issue. Everyone would have to agree to showing and plowing at thier own risk. Any accidents or incidents that would happen to occur, is waived by the tractor owners, and would have to be worked out amugst themselves.

Do you guys need trophies for showing? Around here, judging used to be a big deal, and trophies were given to entries for all kinds of different catagories, but lately, judging fell to the way side. I'm just curious to see if it will be a problem, having a tractor show without having judging for best restored, most original, ugliest tractor, and so on. Besides, it will help to keep costs down. I just want to have a tractor show, where everybody can get together, do a little plowing, play some games, meet old friends, shoot the bull, get a little dirty, and just have an all around good time.

I'm trying to get some sponsorships lined up, to help cover the costs for a food vendor, donation for the area tractor club who would be bringing the tractor games, and some
advertisement. Can anybody think of anything else I might be missing? I was also thinking, that I'd like to give the farmer a donation for letting us use his land. Let me know if I missed something. Would a donation can be upsetting to you guys, if I set one out on the registration table?

I'll be in touch soon. Take Care,
Troy

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,228 Thanks
  • 28,593 posts

Posted November 27, 2011 - 11:31 PM

Never had trophies at our shows for anything other than the pull. We since have stopped doing even that... Ends up, all anyone wants is the bragging rights. :D

We don't judge any of the tractors, just walk around and enjoy them and the people that come with them.

#12 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 28, 2011 - 01:23 AM

Troy, sounds like a fun day, I think trophies would get in the way of the fun. I think a better thing that trophies is magnets, but that's just me lol. My local show does registration door prizes with a bunch of merchandise on the table. Basically you come back up to the registration desk every now and then and see if you won, if you did you pick a prize. It's a good way of doing registration door prizes.

I like to plow by the way LOL.

#13 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted November 28, 2011 - 07:10 PM

Guys, I hear your advice and your requests, and will let you know what I can come up with.

Halfscale, I am aware of the Kline Show. Paul and Ron Kline are very good friends of mine, and believe me, I'd never try to interfere with thier show date. They always have thier show the weekend of Father's Day. They always have a very nice display, and I think very highly of them, and respect them very much.

I can't make any promisses right now, but will do the best I can. If I can get one of my Farmer friends to let us use his field, both for showing and plowing (for fun), I don't think liability will be an issue. Everyone would have to agree to showing and plowing at thier own risk. Any accidents or incidents that would happen to occur, is waived by the tractor owners, and would have to be worked out amugst themselves.

Do you guys need trophies for showing? Around here, judging used to be a big deal, and trophies were given to entries for all kinds of different catagories, but lately, judging fell to the way side. I'm just curious to see if it will be a problem, having a tractor show without having judging for best restored, most original, ugliest tractor, and so on. Besides, it will help to keep costs down. I just want to have a tractor show, where everybody can get together, do a little plowing, play some games, meet old friends, shoot the bull, get a little dirty, and just have an all around good time.

I'm trying to get some sponsorships lined up, to help cover the costs for a food vendor, donation for the area tractor club who would be bringing the tractor games, and some
advertisement. Can anybody think of anything else I might be missing? I was also thinking, that I'd like to give the farmer a donation for letting us use his land. Let me know if I missed something. Would a donation can be upsetting to you guys, if I set one out on the registration table?

I'll be in touch soon. Take Care,
Troy

Troy, sounds like you have some good ideas.If you need help with anything let me know.

Edited by caseguy, November 28, 2011 - 08:55 PM.
Fixed HTML script

#14 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted November 28, 2011 - 08:41 PM

Thanks Craig!

Believe me, I won't be able to do this by myself. I'll take any and all help that I can get. By the way, are you still a member of the Lebanon Antique Tractor Club, and do they still rent out their teeter-totter and games? I don't have any definite dates yet, I still need to confirm things with the Farmer, in which I'm sure you know who I'm refering to.

As for the trophies, I think I'm going to hold off until I see just how big of a turnout responds. If this show would have a good reponse, and we decide we will make this an annual event, I may bring the trophies and awards back into play. I know most of you guys like to have something to show for all the hard work you do on these tractors, and even though a trophy isn't much, it still makes your heart beat proud.

Again, I'll be back in touch after I get some thing finalized, and know better what we can and can't do.

Troy

#15 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 28, 2011 - 08:48 PM

Hey Troy, I think prizes might be better than trophies, such as hats and shirts, and George can probably hook you up with GTT wear.

As for show dates you should shoot for either May or September, not many shows occur in those months, and it is still fairly warm/cool those months.