• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 berndh OFFLINE  

berndh

• Member No: 5369
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 06, 2011 - 12:13 PM

Good Morning - I'm a new member searching for an engine manual for my John Deere 316 Garden Tractor. Although I have yet to find it, I think I'm on the right track, but came up against the two download limit for new members requesting that I make a post to establish full membership. So here it is! Greetings - I'll be happy to contribute in any way I can given my limited experience with Garden Tractors.

If anyone can point me in the right direction to an Onan Engine Repair - CTM2 Manual it would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime I'll go back to my search.

Bernd

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted August 06, 2011 - 12:18 PM

:welcome: to GTTalk!

You may see the limit hold in place for a while untilo you get a few posts & the counters reset.

Hope you can find what you are needing. If you have the Model # of the engine, someone may have one. (Or is CTM-2 the model?) Not as familiar with the Onan Numbering.

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,588 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 06, 2011 - 01:43 PM

Welcome Bernd! Your tractor has the B48G? I know I have a B48G in my Massey now, and it came straight off a JD 318.
This engine manual is in the manual section, with the manual being an IH manual, but all the same as far as technical stuff. If you can't get it downloaded just yet, PM me with your email & I can try emailing it to you.

#4 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted August 06, 2011 - 02:43 PM

It could also be a P218G Onan depending on the year. My dad bought his 318 new in 87 and it had a P218G in it from the factory.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted August 06, 2011 - 02:49 PM

I don't know if this matters, but the tractor in question is a 316. Does it have a different engine than the 318?

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,588 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 06, 2011 - 03:56 PM

I don't know if this matters, but the tractor in question is a 316. Does it have a different engine than the 318?

Duh on me for reading too fast & NOT having my readers on! Yes, that would matter! That would be the B43E I believe, with later models likely having the P216. GTT does have a manual on the P216, and it will have the same general clearances & torque specs as the B43E. Main difference being the switch to breakerless ignition on the P series.

#7 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted August 06, 2011 - 04:17 PM

Hello and Welcome to GTtalk.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 06, 2011 - 04:44 PM

Welcome to the forum. You should be able to sort out which engine you have and get the info. you need. There are a lot of changes in the engines with the early twin cylinder models but there are lots of folks here who know that stuff inside out. If you get a chance post some pictures of your tractor on the JD forum.

#9 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 06, 2011 - 07:17 PM

:wave: berndh Welcome to GTTalk! We're awful glad to have you! We'd love to see some pics of the 316 and they will probably help the experts to sort out what it is that you need and maybe even get it in the manuals section for you! Thanks for signing up!

#10 berndh OFFLINE  

berndh

• 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 07, 2011 - 04:07 PM

Thanks for the input. Actually the 316 has the B48E, which is the 16hp Onan. The John Deere Manual Number is CTM-2. I have located one in the meantime. I will upload it to the site as soon as I figure out how to.

In the mean time I am now looking for the Parts Catalog for the JD 316. The JD parts number for this Manual is PC1980. I'm having a bit more trouble finding this Catalog.

Thanks for all the help offered so far.

Bernd

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted August 07, 2011 - 04:29 PM

Thanks for the input. Actually the 316 has the B48E, which is the 16hp Onan. The John Deere Manual Number is CTM-2. I have located one in the meantime. I will upload it to the site as soon as I figure out how to.

In the mean time I am now looking for the Parts Catalog for the JD 316. The JD parts number for this Manual is PC1980. I'm having a bit more trouble finding this Catalog.

Bernd

You're very welcome, thank you for your offer to post the one you found. That will definitely help the next guy.

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,588 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 07, 2011 - 07:52 PM

Thanks for the input. Actually the 316 has the B48E, which is the 16hp Onan.

Bernd

I was looking that up without my readers also. Likely I was looking at B48E and seeing B43. Sorry about that. I need to be more careful when trying to help out.

#13 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 08, 2011 - 08:12 AM

Bernd

You can access the parts diagrams for your tractor at JDParts.com. Just do a model search for 316. You can also register and get price quotes etc.

#14 scrapiron OFFLINE  

scrapiron

Tractorholic

• Member No: 5985
  • 1 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted September 03, 2011 - 09:10 PM

Welcome to GTTalk!

#15 berndh OFFLINE  

berndh

• 1 Thanks