#706 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 05:55 AM

UGH! I forgot there was a 4am. Gonna run up to southeast Iowa today to do a customer appreciation fish fry for one of our bigger customers. Just below freezing here but dry so roads will be ok. Have a great day everyone!

Sounds like a good time. Just be on the lookout for those politicians . They can show up at a good fish fry and ruin the fun for everybody.:laughingteeth:

#707 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 06:49 AM

Wish I was closer, I love free food! Haven't been to a fish fry in some time. Have a good time and be safe in your travels!

#708 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 07:04 AM

Good morning everybody. Kenny, it sure is warmish in Tulsa. We are having rain today but it will freeze up again by tomorrow morning. We are getting the weather see saw with temps going from +10c to -10c in short periods of time. That makes for a lot of ice on our dirt road. We've got company coming in today for a visit and supper so I hope it's not to slippery.

#709 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 07:43 AM

What a change. Yesterday, I walked from the house to the shop in a tee shirt. +4c
Today -14c, and about -25c windchill. Think I'll wear a coat.

#710 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 07:45 AM

Good morning everyone. Was some messy weather last night. Rain turning to very cold winds. Prime ice weather. Glad I didn't have to go out in it. This morning it is 26*F (-3*C) and flurries. Looking to pick a a couple of inches of the white stuff.

#711 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,611 Thanks
  • 3,911 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 12:50 AM

Sounds like a good time. Just be on the lookout for those politicians . They can show up at a good fish fry and ruin the fun for everybody.:laughingteeth:

No politicians show'd up but I was ready! I had 12 gallon of hot vegtable oil I could have throw'd on 'em. :shoot3:
Just got back home - it was a 16 hour "work" day if you count the seven hours trip time and the five hours spent in the local watering hole before heading back home. Even though I was held there against my will. :D

#712 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 04:59 AM

Morning! 40* (4.5C) looking for a high around 65* (18.5C). Wish I had some propane, I'd melt lead.
Kris, glad you made it home okay!

#713 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 05:08 AM

Morning Kris and Kenny,and everyone.I haven't yet looked at the temp out side.

#714 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 05:20 AM

Morning folks , about 21* here and breezy making it feel like 0 . Last day of work, going to try and tame'er down a bit for the end of a crazy year.

#715 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 06:59 AM

Morning everyone. 18* F (-8*C) out there at the moment. Looking to pick up a few more snow showers today. Planning on going to look at a truck this morning. I'm trying to decide between a '95 F150 auto 4x4 with the 5.0 with basically with a parts truck missing the engine, and another 95 F150 except with manual and the 4.9 inline 6. I would love to have a manual but the auto looks like a better deal with new tires, new brakes, new ball joints, new U joints, bead blasted and epoxied frame. and much more within the last year plus used rear end, transmission and transfer-case included. I know the inline 6 engine is bullet proof but I don't know much about the 5.0 v8.

#716 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 07:18 AM

Good morning folks. -3c here this morning. Tucker it sounds like that 5.0 truck is partly restored. I've never heard any negatives on the 5.0 but with any engine thats 15+ years old the number of miles and maintenance will be the primary concerns.
  • Lovintractorin said thank you

#717 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 07:37 AM

5.0 is a far better engine than that generation 6 cylinder, so it is a no brainer in my eyes.... Get the 5.0 and parts truck !
  • Lovintractorin said thank you

#718 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 07:42 AM

Good morning folks. -3c here this morning. Tucker it sounds like that 5.0 truck is partly restored. I've never heard any negatives on the 5.0
but with any engine thats 15+ years old the number of miles and maintenance will be the primary concerns.

I have not heard any overall bad things about the 5.0 either but it does have 170K miles which after some research seems to mean it got around 80K left on average with the original motor. I'll look it over good see if I find anything that throws up a flag.

5.0 is a far better engine than that generation 6 cylinder, so it is a no brainer in my eyes.... Get the 5.0 and parts truck !

OK! That makes me feel a bit more confident about it. I am hoping it will just be temporary until I get the truck a really want but I don't know how long temporary will be and want to be prepared.

#719 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 08:29 AM

-18c this morning. Eeek

#720 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 07:34 PM

Just as a follow up, I ended up passing on the truck. Too many questionable spots. It ran great but the frame didn't look cleaned up that well before being coated, and one of the front shock brackets was rusted though in spots and the back leaf spring brackets had some serious rusting before being coated. Going to go look at the other '95 F150 with the I6 engine and 5 speed tomorrow. It sounds promising with only 95K miles and (supposedly) been undercoated every year and "pretty spotless" underneath. We'll see, I guess.