Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Nominations Now Being Accepted for Featured Tractor of the Month for September 2011!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
97 replies to this topic

#91 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,422 Thanks
  • 2,785 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 08:09 PM

Well there is a 33,34,35 and the 37 all in the back shop. sometimes i have to beat on the wall at nite to get any sleep.

#92 bolens1053 OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1997
  • 53 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 08:41 PM

I got my Bolens 1053 in November last year so I have not had it a year yet. I restored it about a month ago. I put all new gaskets in the engine and I ground all the rust and paint off and put new decals on it. Now I use it for just mowing and driving around the yard.
My favorite implement I have is the mower deck. I have a craftsman tiller that I re engineered to fit it but it does not mow the grass. The mower deck is my favorite because it can mow the grass very good. It just makes the Bolens complete. HPIM1660.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• HPIM1655.jpg
  • HPIM1658.jpg
  • HPIM1685.jpg
  • HPIM1688.jpg
  • HPIM1687.jpg
  • HPIM1686.jpg
  • HPIM1684.jpg

#93 Sparky OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 08:55 PM

Why thanks Sparky! That comment was worth my entering it all by itself! Now I don't care if I win nor lose!

I hope I have redeemed myself but thanks to MH81 another GE has made a try also . Hey - red , green , miscolored , no paint etc ...not a beauty contest but Dan does ok :D :D :D

#94 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 15, 2011 - 01:07 AM

Ok, I am getting bold here. I am nominating the Caterpillar with a 10 inch moldboard plow that had a refitted lever to adjust it's pitch/suck. You might think that the plow alone is the favorite attachment, and it is, but the winch lift on the sleeve hitch and the 37 Amp alternator by my foot in the picture help to make it even more fun. The tractor, a simple 1988 Craftsman GT18 powered by a Briggs and Stratton opposed twin was painted and decaled before me with a Caterpillar scheme. I kept that and added the sleeve hitch myself, but I did not want manual lift so I mounted a 2000 pound winch to a chunk of 4 inch channel extending high up for a straighter pull on the hitch. with that winch I needed more power, and not horsepower, but rather amps. So I mounted another pulley on the outside of the drive pulley in order to power a Delco Remy alternator. With all that upgrading I decided to run new wires throughout, and that is when I parked it.

When I finish repairing it and get it back together it will get new 26x10.50-12 ATV tires which will be loaded, and a front winch bumper. I will have to add and wire lights to the Caterpillar as well, but that will be another project. I eventually plan to upgrade the front axle and mount Snow Hog tires on the front, but I doubt all that will happen this year. I do plan to have it all set up by plow time next year though. I plan to be able to haul a** plowing, not that George (NUTNDUN) wants me to, but he thinks I should be able to, so I will have to see for myself. :bigrofl:

Attached Thumbnails

• Caterpillarplowing2.jpg

#95 mjodrey OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 15, 2011 - 04:28 AM

Just curious,my 1053 has a green deck,and I know it is all original paint.Did Bolens also put red decks on the 1053 model?

#96 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,446 Thanks
  • 17,087 posts

Posted August 15, 2011 - 05:11 AM

Just curious,my 1053 has a green deck,and I know it is all original paint.Did Bolens also put red decks on the 1053 model?

The 1053 was sold mainly with the newer red deck, but a dealer may have had some old green decks left in stock that he put on it
  • mjodrey said thank you

#97 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1613
  • 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted August 15, 2011 - 10:18 AM

If you want to post your nomination today and then add the pics tomorrow that is fine. Would like to close the nominations later tonight and then I can start the voting thread tomorrow night. When you add the pics just edit your post to add them to it then.

Ok Sir I will nominate the Simplicity 738 but please be kind it's not what you would call a thing of beauty except in how she handles her job.

It's a 1973-74 Simplicity 738 Broadmoor equipped with a 36" three blade deck which on the surface doesn't seem like much but I think it's one of the best mowing strongest pulling little LT's made.

I don't have any purpose built implements for it other than the deck but I can say with it's articulated rear axle and deck combo you would be had pressed to find a better cutting design, smooth clean and it stripes the grass very well.

The narrow hood/nose is gives you great forward vision and it's turning radius and handling to me are only rivaled by a zero turn (i.e. you can drive right up to an obstacle turn the wheel and it turns almost instantly) the basic design is as it's name suggests simplicity everything is easy to work on sturdy and very user friendly.

A few of it's better points are as follows -
1) Tight steering with wear adjustable/greasable rod ends.
2)Articulating rear axle (keeps the power on the ground).
3) Basic three speed transmission (it's almost the perfect blend of usable speed and power) 1st- gear tilling, pushing/pulling, 2nd- mowing, rolling, dethatching etc., 3rd- transport.
4) Narrow overall design allowing for easy maneuvering and provides good vision.
5) The crowning jewel The Deck, deep, thick, 3 blades, floating design connected at the front axle and supported at the rear by full width rollers gives it the legendary Simplicity cut.

Sorry if this sounds like an ad but these are the key things that I like about it, but as I said it's nothing great to look at (it's been abused by the PO) and it does have some ares that could be improved but in it's basic form it has allot to offer.

I'm glad she wound up in my stable or I might not have know what a joy it is to use.

It will hopefully be getting a fresh coat of paint soon, so I hope it's not too ugly.

Pics in a sec, thanks for allowing me to show her off.

The first one is it on the trailer coming to her new home, the rest will follow sorry.

Thank you so much Nutindun And I apologize for getting them in so late sorry.

Busy life and much too do doesn't allow for allot of posting.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0298.jpg
  • IMG_0805.jpg
  • IMG_0811.jpg
  • IMG_0802.jpg
  • IMG_0807.jpg
  • IMG_0812.jpg
  • IMG_0808.jpg
  • IMG_0803.jpg
  • IMG_0804.jpg
  • IMG_0809.jpg
  • IMG_0801.jpg
  • IMG_0810.jpg

Edited by Ranchkingron, August 15, 2011 - 02:05 PM.
Adding pictures

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted August 15, 2011 - 12:22 PM

I will post the nominations to the voting thread tonight when I get home from work. I was going to close the thread but I will give Ron some more time to get his pictures up.
  • Ranchkingron said thank you