• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 05, 2011 - 05:30 PM

I got the tractor back together and took it for a test drive today. I had a problem with hydro creep. I replaced the spring for the neutral detent lever and adjusted it. When I took it out in the yard I noticed that the tractor would slow down a lot on hills and when you went to slow down it would suddenly stop with a jerk when you were near neutral.
I remembered that there was a lot of slop in the linkage where it connects to the lever at the hydro. I thought it would be OK but not so. The new neutral spring was causing the hydro to snap into neutral whenever the lever was close. So, how to fix it. Below is a picture of the linkage. It's a real contraption for sure.

MP533__________UN01JAN94.jpg

The problem was wear of the hole in part 24 and the yoke 21. I found that the 3/8" hole in part 24 would take a 7/16" bolt due to wear. I removed yoke 21 and drilled it out to 7/16" and made a new pin to match. Due to tight spacing the pin is flush with the outside edge of the yoke and is secured with a cotter pin in the middle of the yoke. After I put it all back together the neutral would not adjust and I had to adjust the nut on the yoke to get it to come into range.
A quick test drive and the lurching is gone and it climbs hills now without slowing down. Heres a couple of pictures of the new pin and re drilled yoke.

DSCF6199.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF6197.jpg
  • DSCF6198.jpg

• larryd said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,482 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted August 05, 2011 - 06:30 PM

Cool fix. Glad you got it figured out and repaired. Thanks for the pics.
  • larryd said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 05, 2011 - 07:05 PM

It seems that everything on this tractor is worn out. I just keep finding more problems. To replace the worn out parts would not be an easy job and I don't even know if the hydro lever part 24 is still available. This was a cheap fix but I did have to spend a couple of hours under the tractor and making the new pin. I wonder what will bust next! The engine still isn't running right. It's missing and stumbling intermittently. I'll see what I can find on that tomorrow.
  • larryd said thank you

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 05, 2011 - 09:35 PM

Glad you were able to fix it with a little ingenuity. Before you know it, the John Deere 314 will be just like new :D
  • larryd said thank you

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted August 06, 2011 - 12:15 AM

Brian, glad you got this problem solved. The "Whats next?" scenario is one I am familiar with, part of the fun isn't it? :p
  • larryd said thank you

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 06, 2011 - 05:36 AM

Brian, glad you got this problem solved. The "Whats next?" scenario is one I am familiar with, part of the fun isn't it? :p

Sorry for sounding negative! Yes, it's all part of the fun. I enjoy problem solving. This project has just taken a lot more of my time than I had planned. I have a lot of yard work to do, landscaping and such. I am about to switch to doing that and give the 2320 a workout. I need the 314 to be easy to deal with and reliable for my wife to use it. The 2320 is a bit intimidating for her.
  • larryd said thank you

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,482 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted August 06, 2011 - 05:51 AM

Be sure to post some pics of the upcoming projects. I would like to see that 2320 in action. And I know what you mean about getting the tractor reliable for the lady of the house. They just don't have the same feelings about our tractors.
  • larryd said thank you

#8 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 03:30 PM

Brian:

You will be receiving a bill from John Deere for parts and labor in the sum of  $235.00. Thank you  for your service.

Dick

• larryd said thank you

#9 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted February 27, 2013 - 02:39 PM

While I have  myJD314 apart for painting I have found a few things also. Just some sloppy parts here and their but all fixable as you say.

larryd

#10 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted February 27, 2013 - 03:26 PM

Should this be stickied?