• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mjay OFFLINE  

mjay

• Member No: 1209
  • 6 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted August 05, 2011 - 02:50 PM

I had always been keeping an eye out for a loader for my tractor ever since I bought it, just to make it more useful.
Anyway, a chap came in at work looking for a hydraulic fitting. Found him one, and we got chatting etc. Turned out he was taking a loader off his tractor and lived just down the road.....
Couple of days later deal done.

Got a 245 loader, bucket, grab, pallet forks, 2 dung forks and a spare QA plate.
I think I paid a good price, even though it was more than I wanted to spend.
Big attachments are alot more expensive than those for GTs!

So far its taken me 3 evenings to fit the brackets to the tractor. Everything it just so damn heavy and I am working on my own.
Think its all on there, just need to test fit the loader and fit the hydraulics.
We put it in the trailer with his telehandler. However, I have no way of getting it out the trailer, so I will have to try and prop it up high enough to get the tractor in. Once I have got the hydraulic lines hooked up I can get it on the brackets and then we are away.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted August 05, 2011 - 09:25 PM

Good heavy built loader Jim, and self leveling system as icing on the cake!

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,421 Thanks
  • 39,670 posts

Posted August 06, 2011 - 05:11 AM

I think you have been over at Maynard's place. He puts Miracle Grow on his GT's and makes them large like that.LOL Nice loader, I'm sure you will find lots of things to use it for. Good luck with it.

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 06, 2011 - 07:17 AM

Looks like a great score Jim! Happy scooping!

#5 mjay OFFLINE  

mjay

• 6 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted August 06, 2011 - 02:37 PM

Success!

Still got a few bits to hook up, like the line to the trans for the regen on the bucket circuit.

Bucket is rotten on the bottom, all the hoses need replacing and the pins are quite worn. This I all knew when I bought it and considered it in my offer.
Other than that it seems to work OK. The steering is very heavy towards the end of the travel, I think the tyres need air. It was much better when I hooked the topper on the back.

It took me 2 hours to get the loader off the trailer and into a position where I could hook it up. I am absolutely beat now!
The funny thing is that the loader on my WheelHorse will only just pick up the bucket for this loader! I could park the WheelHorse in the bucket of this loader.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by mjay, August 06, 2011 - 03:06 PM.

#6 Imrtoy OFFLINE  

Imrtoy

• Member No: 5882
  • 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted August 28, 2011 - 12:34 AM

Awesome Jim

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,421 Thanks
  • 39,670 posts

Posted August 28, 2011 - 05:32 AM

Nice loader, Jim. I hope you have good luck getting into good working order.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 28, 2011 - 06:01 AM

Congrats Jim. That will make a big difference in the utility of your tractor. It shouldn't be too hard to get it back in tip top condition. You don't see to many self levelling loaders these days. I've never used one but that is probably a very nice feature for working with forks.

#9 mjay OFFLINE  

mjay

• 6 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted September 04, 2011 - 12:32 PM

Brian,
Its taking a bit of getting used to, its harder than it looks! I've only ever used telehandlers before, never a tractor loader. Apart from having a play about with it I havent really used it any. A friend of mine used it to fill his driveway, judging by the gouges etc he needs a bit more practice too!

Posted Image

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted September 04, 2011 - 12:37 PM

Hey there Jim! Takes some time getting good at smoothing a drive with a loader. You wanna do all the smoothing by back-dragging anyway. My son can't do smooth forward or backward with out Cat payloader. He always has me smooth his drive for him. I told him he'll never learn how by having me do it!

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 04, 2011 - 04:24 PM

I agree with Daniel. If I want to smooth anything with the loader I just tip the bucket edge down a bit, the amount depends on how hard the surface is, hit the float and backup. The steeper the angle of the edge the more it will dig in. This works surprisingly well on most things once you get a feel for it.

#12 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 08:51 PM

Yeah, smoothing is hard with a loader. I've got a scraper blade for the back that does okay, but a box blade is really the tool for that job. There is nothing like a loader for general purpose work though. I don't lift anything anymore.

#13 mjay OFFLINE  

mjay

• 6 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 12:12 PM

With the little tractor is isnt too hard, but up in the cab you are a bit far from the action. It has a level guage on it, but I havent got the hang of using it. I think it needs calibrating. Only just found the float position too!
I also has regen on the bucket tip, but when you use that function it is very jerky. There is a fancy valve on the loader arms for the regen, maybe it is a bit sticky?

I'm after a 4 in 1 bucket for the loader, I reckon it'll make it much easier. He used to use the digger on the driveway so the loader should improve things.

Posted Image]

#14 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 10:46 PM

Once you get the loader up and running, you will wonder how you ever got along without it! With a little ingenuity, almost anything is possible! We routinely use ours as a crane, work platform, counterweight for back implements, parking brake, carry-all, even dig and carry dirt with it!!!