• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 buck50bmg OFFLINE  

buck50bmg

• Member No: 5231
  • 1 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted August 05, 2011 - 01:15 PM

I was looking at my 318, I lowered the plow all the way to take the weight off the front end, I noticed the axle deflector bolt is leaving a 1/8 gap, should I lessen the gap to eliminate the wiggle?

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,595 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 05, 2011 - 01:58 PM

I believe I would, as it will extend the working life of the bushing a bit, plus take some play out of the steering.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 05, 2011 - 04:48 PM

Have a look at the 318 service manual and see what it says. On some of the tractors you tighten the axle pivot bolt until there is a bit of force required to pivot the axle. If it gets loose it will wear out the bushing as Daniel said above.

#4 gimmodog OFFLINE  

gimmodog

• Member No: 4860
  • 5 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted August 05, 2011 - 07:03 PM

use a feeler gauge get just a small clearance then it will not rub and wear and also will limit any play, if there is still some play it could be that the bushing is already worn

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 05, 2011 - 07:16 PM

The manual for the 318 says to stop tightening it when the wheel sticks when you try to move it up and down. In other words you take out all the play but don't make it so tight that it won't pivot freely. The tricky part is that the cotter pin can only go through the castle nut every 1/6th turn. I have adjusted mine by changing washers out until I get one where the axle is adjusted properly and the cotter pin can be installed. If you check random washers there is quite a bit of variation in thickness. You could also use shims of the correct diameter but they would need to be .o10 or less.