• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RHJO51 OFFLINE  

RHJO51

• Member No: 4772
  • 0 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted August 05, 2011 - 01:05 PM

Hello, I have a JD GT235 tractor with the B&S Vangard engine and it is a great tractor. However I noticed that when I start it up, the battery light stays on for a while, then blinks a few times, then goes out and doesn't come back on. Sometimes when I start it up the light stays on for a minute, sometimes it goes out pretty quickly. Any ideas what is causing this? My battery seems fine as far as I can tell. Thanks - Jim

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 05, 2011 - 04:55 PM

Welcome to GTTalk Jim! Your battery could be getting weak with age and is not holding a charge like it should. How old is the battery? Age is one of the determining factors on when you need to replace it. It could also be that your charging system/ regulator is not working properly, but I think it is more likely that your battery is going soft particularly if it is more than 5 years old. You should also check your connections including the chassis and engine connections to the battery - terminal. Corrosion or loose connections can interfere with the charging system.

#3 RHJO51 OFFLINE  

RHJO51

• Member No: 4772
  • 0 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted August 05, 2011 - 06:28 PM

Well, thanks for the warm welcome Brian! And thank you for the response. I'd have to check, but it could be the original battery. I recently got the tractor used, and it's in great shape, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's the original 2002 battery. I have a brand new one in another tractor that I may swap in and see what's what. Thanks again - Jim

#4 gimmodog OFFLINE  

gimmodog

• Member No: 4860
  • 5 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted August 05, 2011 - 06:48 PM

First think that occurred to me was that the alternator is not putting out as good as new, try to raise the rpm immediately and see if it goes out as soon as the rpm is raised. It could be just that the idle rpm is a little low.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 05, 2011 - 07:24 PM

Well, thanks for the warm welcome Brian! And thank you for the response. I'd have to check, but it could be the original battery. I recently got the tractor used, and it's in great shape, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's the original 2002 battery. I have a brand new one in another tractor that I may swap in and see what's what. Thanks again - Jim

You are welcome, Jim. That is a good plan if you have a known good battery. A 9 year old battery would be a bit soft and while it may still start the tractor it won't accept a charge like a new one will. A 2002 - It probably has a Kawasaki engine and they are pretty reliable. The regulator is all solid state and if not abused would last a long time. It is worth having a look at the connections though, just for the sake of preventive maintenance. Good luck getting to the bottom of it.