36 replies to this topic

#31 chopperfreak2k1 OFFLINE  

chopperfreak2k1

Tractorholic

• Member No: 300
  • 17 Thanks
  • 431 posts

Posted May 23, 2010 - 10:56 AM

i'm not disputing what has been said about the KT motors, but i have a KT17s series II that has been running for the last 17 years on a VERY steep property untill i bought it. i was told the motor was never opened up, just oil changes. i was given all the reciepts for work done and there was no rebuild in the records. again i don't know anything about these motors just relating my experience.

#32 JimRhino OFFLINE  

JimRhino

• Member No: 94
  • 1 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted May 29, 2011 - 04:52 PM

Jim, Not sure if you figured out about the tab under the seat for the "DO NOT TOW". It's a relief valve that allows the hydraulic oil to move freely and not under pressure. If you pull it "UP" then the valves are open and you can move the tractor around freely. If the tab is "DOWN" then the valves are closed and you should not push or pull the tractor unless it is running and able to be moved under its power.

Wow, it's been a year (and nothing done on the tractor yet), but was just revisiting the idea of doing 'something' with this beast this summer. Leaning more towards just finding a different engine so that I can at least play with it this year. Thanks for the tip on the "Do Not Tow" lever. I figured out how to get her moving, but still wasn't sure if I was doing it correctly. Thanks again!

#33 Encrypt OFFLINE  

Encrypt

• Contributor
  • Member No: 502
  • 9 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted May 30, 2011 - 11:28 AM

Anytime! Once you get an engine for the tractor pretty soon play will be working. Or is that working will be playing?!?!?

#34 JimRhino OFFLINE  

JimRhino

• Member No: 94
  • 1 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 05:36 PM

LOL...6 months later and FINALLY may be in forward progress. :bounce:

I have to admit I'm cheating a bit. I found a guy here in town who seems to think he can get my little monster growling again. Don't know if I'll get it back before Spring, but he is willing and I have time. :)

Here's to a (hopefully) working tractor in the near future...CHEEEERS!!

Carpe 'Que,
JimRhino

#35 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 07:54 AM

keep us updated Jim

#36 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,508 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 05, 2011 - 07:37 AM

Jim, so far your story has had a familiar ring to it. I have a Ariens s16 that I just got running. It had been sitting out in the weather for about 8 years, way too long. Many frustrating days of figuring out all the problems, but after running the tractor two month it was definately worth it. Good luck on your project. Shorty

#37 kirksieg OFFLINE  

kirksieg

• Member No: 4350
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted November 30, 2011 - 12:47 PM

Nice machine.