• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 JimRhino OFFLINE  

JimRhino

• Member No: 94
  • 1 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted April 12, 2010 - 07:22 PM

Well, we had a beautiful day today so I went out and took 22 pictures of the Ariens GT-19 that my father-in-law gave to me before he passed away. It needed work then, he tried to talk me out of taking it (knowing how mechanically challenged I am), but it ran for me (off and on) for a little more than a summer before giving up the ghost.

Long story short, it died on me a couple of years ago and has been slowly planting itself in my backyard. As you'll see in the pictures, part of all the wheels are buried, and the tractor is in need of some TLC. Though I am not much more mechanically inclined now, I do have the desire to break this beauty down and rebuild to fully working order.

I'll have to admit from the git-go...this is likely to be a long process. Having 4 children, changing jobs, and another full-time hobby, this is probably going to be a VERY slow process. Please be patient with me, smack me when it's needed, and please feel free to pass on some encouraging words periodically. I'll probably be looking for A LOT of advice, suggestions, and ideas on the most basic level.

Please feel free to check out the pictures in the Member's Gallery at this link - http://www.gttalk.co...e-pictures.html ...or, I just figured out how to post directly into this thread...scroll down for my baby. :)

Thanks in advance!

Carpe 'Que, (Seize the BBQ)
Jim Rhino

P.S. How do I find out the year this beauty was made? Model No. 931026 & Serial No. 000276. Thanks!

Edited by JimRhino, April 12, 2010 - 07:58 PM.

#2 JimRhino OFFLINE  

JimRhino

• 1 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted April 12, 2010 - 07:57 PM

Well looky there...it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to upload them directly into the post. :)

021..jpg

Well, that's my baby. Wish me luck!

Carpe 'Que,
Jim Rhino

Attached Thumbnails

• 017..jpg
  • 003..jpg
  • 008..jpg
  • 006..jpg
  • 018..jpg
  • 019..jpg
  • 002..jpg
  • 016..jpg
  • 004..jpg
  • 005..jpg
  • 001..jpg
  • 007..jpg
  • 015..jpg
  • 020..jpg
  • 022..jpg
  • 010..jpg
  • 012..jpg
  • 011..jpg
  • 009..jpg
  • 014..jpg

#3 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted April 13, 2010 - 07:19 AM

Maybe if I come up to help you regrade that area we can pluck the tractor back out of the earth so you could roll it around.
  • JimRhino said thank you

#4 JimRhino OFFLINE  

JimRhino

• 1 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted April 13, 2010 - 08:52 AM

LOL...nice way of putting it, "...pluck the tractor back out of the earth...", that's pretty much what needs to be done. There's some sort of lever under the seat that says not to roll the thing around...might damage the tranny or something. I think if the lever is moved to a certain position it can then be rolled. Problem is I don't know which direction it's supposed to go.

#5 JimRhino OFFLINE  

JimRhino

• 1 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted April 13, 2010 - 10:33 AM

Here are a few more pictures...taken right after 'plucking it from the earth'...

04132010486..jpg
04132010487..jpg

It felt pretty good to get her moving again. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• 04132010488..jpg
  • 04132010489..jpg

#6 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted April 13, 2010 - 10:38 AM

It felt pretty good to get her moving again. :)

Now you just have to get the motor fixed so you can drive it again.

Are you mainly just wanting to fix the motor or tear the tractor down to the frame and repaint?

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 13, 2010 - 10:51 AM

I think it's way beyond your mechanically challenged ability. To help you out, I'll bring my trailer & get it out of your way & prevent you from over-stressing yourself with it. I can be there about 9pm or so....EST.:rolling:

#8 JimRhino OFFLINE  

JimRhino

• 1 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted April 13, 2010 - 11:19 AM

Are you mainly just wanting to fix the motor or tear the tractor down to the frame and repaint?

I would love to tear her all the way down and rebuild from the ground up, but would be VERY happy just to have the motor running at this point. Just to help give me encouragement. I can't afford to buy a new motor, so rebuilding is the next best option for economic reasons.
After checking her out today, the paint isn't in THAT bad of shape, though she does need a really good cleaning and de-gunking. :)

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 13, 2010 - 12:56 PM

No, I wouldn't repaint, not just yet anyway. Get that engine going & make sure all is reliable, then maybe after a season of use, if all is well, then possibly think paint. I think it looks pretty good as-is.
So what's the story on the engine? Oh, & I see you passed right over my offer!:bigrofl:
In for a pitstop. Spraying corn and haven't amounted to a hill-of-beans. But I just mfound & repaired the check valve, so time to spray the tank out. Later guys!

#10 JimRhino OFFLINE  

JimRhino

• 1 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted April 13, 2010 - 01:21 PM

Before my father-in-law gave it to me, he said he thought a cylinder was going bad. Well, I think it finally blew. A loud CLUNK and the engine stopped. Ouch.

LOL... I didn't even see your post about the 'offer'. Though you're probably right about my ability, that is VERY generous of you, but I think I'll decline at this time.:ass:

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 13, 2010 - 04:46 PM

You may need to replace the crankshaft, but sometimes when they look like toast on the rod journal, often it's just aluminum transfer from the rod. Muriatic acid will eat the aluminum transfer off, allowing you to see the true condition of the rod. I've done this many times to find the crank is in great shape. Take her down & post pics of the damage. We'll help walk you through the whole thing.
BTW...just quoting you on the mechanical ability. I encourage everyone to at least try to repair things themselves. Now go get your wrenches!

#12 JimRhino OFFLINE  

JimRhino

• 1 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted April 13, 2010 - 08:24 PM

BTW...just quoting you on the mechanical ability. I encourage everyone to at least try to repair things themselves. Now go get your wrenches!

I know...just pitching it back at 'cha. Slingin' a little friendship among friends is always good. :)

#13 JimRhino OFFLINE  

JimRhino

• 1 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted April 13, 2010 - 08:34 PM

Okay, the best that I can tell is that this tractor is probably a 1978 model. According to my local Ariens dealer, this model (91026) was only made between 1975 and 1983. According to the Kohler website, that model number matches up with a 1978 model.

I wrote to Ariens Customer Service to see if they can verify and/or help out...they said they would respond within the next couple of days. If I find out otherwise, I'll post the new info.

Carpe 'Que,
Jim Rhino

#14 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 14, 2010 - 04:42 AM

Those are a nice looking tractor.

#15 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted April 14, 2010 - 05:27 AM

Nice looking tractor. It doesn't look to be in that bad of shape.
Keep up the Good work on the project :thumbs: