#1 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1918
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted August 03, 2011 - 08:15 AM

With The High Cost of everything today I thought it may be a Good Idea for us to share some Homemade Solutions to Mechanical problems ....
My Example: Rust Bustin'
At My Local NAPA A Can of PB Blaster Cost $7.95 WD 40 Cost $6.89 Liquid wrench was a Steal at $4.79....These Aerosole Spray cans don't last long and half the times the Nozzels Clog up....I think they are a Rip Off.
My Solution comes from My 76 year old Brother, who is a Retired Mechanic of 40 plus years...He allways used his own Homemade "Recipe" that I have adopted and allways keep in a Spray bottle in my shop. I recently used it to seperate a Frozen Solid 2 piece Driveshaft. I Swear, this Recipe, which my brother refers to as "Panther P---"
Works Incredibly Good on Everything .....
Recipe : Mix equal amounts of Trani Fluid, Brake Fluid & Marvel Mystery Oil...that's It. Give it a Try, I think You'll Agree.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC02742.jpg

• Bolens 1000, mikebramel, dstaggs and 11 others have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 03, 2011 - 08:56 AM

DanO, Thanks, I am going to mix some up as soon as I get back home....

#3 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted August 03, 2011 - 09:33 AM

Thanks DanO. Always great to have a new weapon in the arsenal.

#4 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted August 03, 2011 - 10:33 AM

just throwing this out; did you know you can buy PB blaster in a gallon can? comes with a pump spray bottle, for around $20-25. Much less waste ful than the spray cans. You can also get your brake parts cleaner and WD40 that way. I find it saves a lot of money when you can control the outflow better.

#5 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted August 03, 2011 - 12:33 PM

Good Point Jeff....Definitely a savings over the Aerosol Cans, that's for sure . Around here a lot of places just don't carry them in the gallon size cans so it can sometimes be hard to come by.. .......For Me, I Work on Mostly Old Rusted Machines & Equipment of all kinds and I have tried everything out there, and, I'm not saying they don't work, Sure they Do, (maybe, Sometimes) but Honestly, I keep coming back to our Homemade Recipe.....since i allways have "the Ingredients" in the shop ready to Mix up, it's convenient, and I know from years of experience it works as Good or Even Better than Anything else....I know it's hard to believe, but true.
As far as Cost goes, Not sure, But I also save and reuse old Trani Fluid & Brake fluid whenever I can for this purpose so I think I'm saving quite a bit.

#6 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted August 03, 2011 - 02:05 PM

Home depot sells the PB blaster 1 gal and spray for like $24

#7 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 03, 2011 - 03:38 PM

Thanks for sharing your Brother's recipe with us! That sounds like a pretty good mixture. I have noticed that most homebrew penetrating lubricants use tranny fluid in their recipe. My only concern with using the marvel would be a thick consistency, although the brake fluid (DOT 3 I assume?) would tend to thin it down quite a bit. My personal preference is aerokroil, which is also available in a 1 gallon container (branded kroil oil in this form) w/spray bottle for around $25. I have always wanted to give one of the homebrews a try though. Maybe I'll start with yours! I probably have all the components already!

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,465 Thanks
  • 39,697 posts

Posted August 03, 2011 - 04:18 PM

Thanks, DanO. I'll give this a try. Glad you posted this.

#9 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted August 03, 2011 - 05:24 PM

A lot of Guys, Especially Younger Guys, look at me like I have two Heads when I Mention the old name Marvel Mystery Oil but Older Mechanics are very familiar with it . It's has been around since the 1920's and was the First in It's Field that Many Have Since Tried to Copy but Could NOT. the History of the Company and Much more information is all on this web site, the Videos are pretty Cool too. Hey, You Can't Argue with almost 90 years of Proven Success....well...you can but I think it's kinda foolish.
Check it Out For Yourself.

::Marvel Mystery Oil::

#10 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 06:18 PM

Some thing I use in the shed:

*Vasaline to wipe down the plow after plowing, instead of grease, or instead of painting it. It keep the plow from rusting, it's clear, so you still see the natural clean finish, and it cleans off a little easier than grease.

*Easy-Off oven cleaner as a paint remover. Spray it on, let it sit for 5-10 minutes, hit the surface with a high pressure washer. Dry with the air compressor.

*Bug and Tar remover to remove old grease from parts. It virtually eats the grease right brfore your eyes.

*Dawn Dishwashing Liquid as a degreaser. After you use the bug and tar remover, wash the parts with the Dawn to remove any left over grease on the surface.
  • tractorman604, caseguy and KennyP have said thanks

#11 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 08:11 PM

I just recently ran out of Kroil so in the mean time I tried using Marvel air tool lubricant. The results were better than hoped for. Another formula tested by one of the popular do it yourself magazines was a combination of half Acetone and and half used automatic transmission fluid. They stated the results were better than any of the off the shelf penetrating oils. My concern with this is the high evaporation rate of the Acetone.
I'm going to try your three part formula as it would seem the shelf life would be very long.
Thanks for the post.

#12 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 08:51 PM

Thanks for the recipe.

What is Marvel Mystery Oil used for? I'm not familiar with it.

#13 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

Ranchkingron

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1613
  • 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 09:18 PM

just throwing this out; did you know you can buy PB blaster in a gallon can? comes with a pump spray bottle, for around $20-25. Much less waste ful than the spray cans. You can also get your brake parts cleaner and WD40 that way. I find it saves a lot of money when you can control the outflow better.

Yep I've been buying PB, WD-40 that way for some time and have also found a source for some of the chemicals I use in my business.

Hairspring cleaner aka One Dip is very expensive ($108 per gallon) and is also vital when working on any timepiece but at the same time it's also rarely in stock at most distributors, so I started looking for a replacement source and after some research found it it's nothing more than Tetrachloroethylene/Perchloroethylene or Drycleaning fluid and also is a major component of brake cleaner, so I get it from a dry cleaning supply co. locally and costs $23.95+tax per gallon, big savings over getting it in a repackaged bottle with a fancy name.

But you have to be very careful using it, as it's a Class 2 Carcinogen and can be absorbed through the skin.

I've seen the 50/50 ATF-Acetone and it does seem to work but I have to try this new mix it sounds like a winner to me, thanks for posting it DanO.

Ron

#14 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

Ranchkingron

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1613
  • 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 09:25 PM

It used to be an add on system for older car engines to provide top end lubrication i.e. valves, pistons etc. but it also has allot of other uses like for storing anything with an engine for long periods, unseizing a stuck piston that set for awhile, adding it to your oil can help remover sludge etc.

Have a look at their site and see for yourself, ::Marvel Mystery Oil::

Ron