• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,441 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted August 06, 2011 - 05:37 PM

PN, thanks for some of the history on this machine. I, like many others, was not around when this came to be. Thanks for sharing.

#17 projectnut OFFLINE  

projectnut

• Member No: 5067
  • 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted August 07, 2011 - 03:40 PM

CampBran-Beach-JerryTimSong9-30-05.jpg

Here's some more pictures of the Cadtrac at work. The firts one is the completed trail, the second is work in progress, and the third is before we began. The pile is 1 of 2 equal sized piles of crushed limestone. This one is near the lakeside. The other is at the campsite end of the trail.
We actually started moving the beach sand (another work day) by the bucket full. It was actually easier and faster to drag it with the blade.

Attached Thumbnails

• CampBran-Beach-SongTim9-30-05.jpg
  • CampBran-Beach Bkade.jpg
  • CampBrand-TrailBeforeA10-1-04.jpg
  • CampBrand Fixing Trail.jpg
  • CampBrand First Bucket.jpg
  • CampBrand New Trail.jpg

• Cvans said thank you

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,441 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted August 07, 2011 - 05:02 PM

Thanks. Good pics. I can see where hauling one bucket at a time would be slow, you went quite far each trip.

#19 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 12, 2011 - 04:59 AM

Very,very,very cool.

#20 natecam OFFLINE  

natecam
  • Member No: 29075
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 05:40 PM

Projectnut, I am in the final stages of completing my Cadtrac. I to have made numerous upgrade and overbuilt the tractor a bit. My biggest problem right now is the travel speed. I'm only moving at 1.8 mph. How did you engineer yours to hit 5+ mph?

I have it plumbed with a dual pump 14 GPM and 8 GPM. 14 GPM circuit is devoted straight to wheel motors. 1/2" 2-wire from pump to valve, 3/8" line from valve to wheel tee's and the last 12" to each wheel run 1/4" line. Would it help to run 1/2" line throughout the circuit?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

#21 projectnut OFFLINE  

projectnut

• 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 11:49 AM

Sorry it took so long to get back.  I only noticed your post when I was looking for some pictures for another potential Cadtrac builder.

Like you I used 1/2" hose from the pump (which in my case also included a 4 channel flow divider) to the Tee's in the wheel motor circuit.  I then went to 3/8" hose from the tee's to the wheel motors.  I tried 1/2" hose for the entire run but had difficulties making the bend to attach them to the motors.  I was able to do it but it seemed like there was too much stress on the hoses for them to last very long.  When I switched to 3/8" hoses there didn't seem to be much difference in performance.  I could still get about 6 mph which is more than fast enough (for me) with a fully loaded bucket. 

A note of caution however, the 1/4" lines provide enough resistance to keep the machine from rolling away when it's not running and keeps the motors from cavitating and running away when going down hill.  With the larger lines I added piloted check valves in the wheel motor circuit to act as brakes either when not moving or when using partial throttle going down hill.

The advantage of larger lines is more top end speed if you have enough pump capacity.  I'm using a 25 gpm pump with 16 gpm dedicated to the wheel motors.  The disadvantage is that you'll have to add either additional hydraulic circuitry or some type of braking system to keep the machine under control.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#22 Mikeandy OFFLINE  

Mikeandy
  • Member No: 35616
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 09:12 PM

Have you got any video of the cadtrac in action?

#23 projectnut OFFLINE  

projectnut

• 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 08:48 AM

Unfortunately I don't have any video.  It's a struggle for me to even remember to take still pictures.  It seems when I'm using the mchine I have more than enough to concentrate on without trying to add videos into the mix.  Besides do I really want to have lasting evidence of all the stupid things I can accomplish in an afternoon?

#24 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 02:55 PM

Hello again PN!  Good to hear from ya!  Back on MBN there was video of a CadTrac in action. I thought it was yours, but I was mistaken?

#25 projectnut OFFLINE  

projectnut

• 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 09:33 PM

I haven't seen the video, but I have seen lots of pictures of my Cadtrac on other sites.  Most of the pictures I've seen were ones I originally published to the photo album on Matts old site.  Apparently there's still some interest in building them. 

I did use mine a couple weeks ago for pulling some fence posts.  We were having our old chain link fence replaced with an ornamental iron one so I volunteered the Cadtrac to pull some of the old posts out. Unfortunately  I was only able to pull a few posts that could be accessed from the paved drive.  They came out fine, but when I moved off the paved surface the ground was so soft the Cadtrac went down in the mud rather than the posts comming up.  Fortunately we only needed to pull about a dozen posts because they interferred with where we needed to put the new ones.  Each of the post we pulled was in a cement casing about 12" in diameter and 2' deep.  We ended cutting off another 50 or so posts rather than destroy the entire yard trying to pull them.

#26 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 09:15 AM

Neat machine and thanks for the photos.

#27 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict