• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Popeyes Hemi OFFLINE  

Popeyes Hemi

• Member No: 5291
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted August 03, 2011 - 07:08 AM

Just about to get my first Deere a 317, ($800)! I did a bit research about the tractor and the Kohler KT17 QS and the inherent oiling issues. I do not know what year this 317 was made in nor if the engine has been upgraded or replace or rebuilt. The conversation I had with the seller over the phone was good but he did not know much about it. It was given to him as a house warming gift from a friend who collected them. The seller has had the 317 for 9 years and used it to cut a 1.5 acre lawn. He did say it works and runs good, but does smoke just a bit a start up. I found some useful info about the engine serial number to compare the year it was built and the engine spec number 24300 or higher. This will indicate a Series II engine with a fully pressurized lubricating system. I was looking for a 317 Operators manual and downloaded the 316-318-420 manual from here. It should be a good starter manual to get me going. If anyone has a 317 Operators manual I would be happy to purchase a copy. This looks to be a good forum and I look forward to spending sometime here and contributing from time to time.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,508 Thanks
  • 39,733 posts

Posted August 03, 2011 - 07:14 AM

:welcometogttalk:Sounds like you have done some research. Glad to have you here and there should be some help forth coming.
While I was typing, your pics showed up. Nice tractor. Good luck with it.

May need to work on the avatar, seems rather small.

Edited by KennyP, August 03, 2011 - 07:17 AM.
Added Comment

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted August 03, 2011 - 07:15 AM

Welcome to the Forum! :wave:

Thats a nice looking Tractor
There are a lot of knowledgeable guys here.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 03, 2011 - 07:16 AM

Welcome to the group. You have definitely done your research. You can check and make sure it is a series II Kohler, if it is then the oiling issues won't be a problem. If the engine isn't a series II, then I would try negotiating on the price a little if you can.

#5 Popeyes Hemi OFFLINE  

Popeyes Hemi

• 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted August 03, 2011 - 07:20 AM

Thanks Kenny

:welcometogttalk:Sounds like you have done some research. Glad to have you here and there should be some help forth coming.
While I was typing, your pics showed up. Nice tractor. Good luck with it.

May need to work on the avatar, seems rather small.

Welcome to the Forum! :wave:

Thats a nice looking Tractor
There are a lot of knowledgeable guys here.

Thanks Moderator

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 03, 2011 - 07:26 AM

Are you going to come up for the LAGC Eastern Extravaganza August 19 - 21? Wouldn't be too far from ya and you would really get to experience all types and brands of garden tractors.

#7 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted August 03, 2011 - 08:53 AM

Keep in mind that the 316 and 318 is a totally different machine than the 317. When Deere design the 318 they changed everything - engine, transmission, frame, sheet metal, etc. So there wouldn't be much information from the 316, 318, 420 manuals that you could use on a 317.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 03, 2011 - 09:48 AM

Welcome to the forum. As said above the 317 is a different beast than the newer 318. I have a 314 which is the basic version of the 317. The transmission and rear axle is pretty much the same as the 140. If you go to the manuals section of the forum you can download the CTSM document for the 140 which will give you some info. There is also a 317 parts manual available. Feel free to ask questions if you need info.
  • Popeyes Hemi said thank you

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted August 03, 2011 - 10:37 AM

Nice looking tractor, Thanks for sharing the pics.

:thumbs: on doing your research first.

#10 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted August 03, 2011 - 01:58 PM

Welcome to the forum! I'm across the state line in Georgetown De. We'll have to get together someday and talk tractor trash, I'm into Case's mostly. Are ya' going to the Thresherman's Show in Federalsburg this weekend? I'm planning on being there at least one day, Saturday probably.

#11 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 03, 2011 - 03:43 PM

:wave: Popeyes Hemi Welcome to GTTalk! Thanks for posting the pics of your prospective Garden tractor! It looks like a good piece to add to any collection and a great one to start a collection with! :thumbs::thumbs: on the research, and you'll want to listen to the other John Deere guys here as they really know their stuff. We're glad that you've signed up and hope to see more of you!

#12 Popeyes Hemi OFFLINE  

Popeyes Hemi

• 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted August 04, 2011 - 03:17 AM

It's looking like this 317 has a Series I engine: Model C317L S/N: 196690M I found a thread at Toasty John Deere 317 (PIC'S) - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information where the OP spent some time rebuilding his 317 after a fire. His serial number of 200096 and it was a 1982 which is the year Kohler upgraded the KT17 to the Series II, but he said it was a series I. My lawn is fairly flat and I hope she holds up for a season or two. I may be able use a little ZDDT
(ZDDT Engine Oil Supplement) in the oil to help reduce any metal to metal contact. But I won't know until I get the tractor Sunday. Thanks to all for the Welcome. Maybe I'll look around for a Kohler Magnum 18 to swap out.

Edited by Popeyes Hemi, August 04, 2011 - 03:32 AM.

#13 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 04, 2011 - 04:09 AM

It looks like the tractor was maintained so it will hopefully be fine for a while. You are on the right track to look for a re power for it. These tractors are well worth that kind of investment.

#14 Popeyes Hemi OFFLINE  

Popeyes Hemi

• 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted August 04, 2011 - 05:18 AM

When I was looking around for a lawn tractor I found a Lx279 with 687 hours for $800 in Craigs List so I called and he said the only thing it needed was a hood. A horse took a disliking to the Deere and kick it and took a chunk out of the seat. The day I went to pick it up the old boy said sorry but the Wife said she really loved that Deere and that he would have to keep it. At the same time a gentleman had a 1977 300 for $795 with a single cylinder Kohler 16HP and a 48" deck but in my pursuit of the Lx279 I lost out on the 300. So when I found the 317 and through the research it could hit or miss I decided that it would be the tractor for me and my needs. I like things with a bit of history whether good or bad. I believe had JD or Kohler thought about the engine a bit and made it right to start with it would have been as popular as the 318. But this 317 may have a Series II, but I will see on Sunday.

By the way JDBrian when I was stationed in Boston on a cutter we would patrol the Grand Banks and do port of calls in Halifax..What an awesome place to visit. The food and people and the beer. I had the best tasting Cajun Blackened Alligator tips I have ever eaten and that is saying something as I was raised in Louisiana. I remember them hugh rocks as big as 2 story houses left in the middle of nowhere. Left over from the glaciers.

More to come!

It looks like the tractor was maintained so it will hopefully be fine for a while. You are on the right track to look for a re power for it. These tractors are well worth that kind of investment.