26 replies to this topic

#16 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 08:46 PM

I have a 42 inch mower deck and an 8 hp engine set aside to make a pull behind mower - thats as far as I have got with it though...... Guess I'll have to keep an eye on this one as well.

I was hung up designing the hitch to hold the mower offset behind the garden tractor though. The couple I looked at were pretty flimsy.

Course, if I get the zero turn project running, I wouldn't need this.....

#17 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 01:00 PM

I was messing with this motor a few weeks ago and was taking part the carb and broke the needle valve off in the carb, it was all varnished up and I guess I should have soaked it in carb cleaner before trying to take it all the way apart, So now I need to find a different carb or a different motor.

#18 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 01:24 PM

I just noticed this thread Chuck........When I built mine, I had a donor much the same as yours.....I took the whole front end of the frame and mounted it on top on my 42" Ford deck.....Just thought I would throw that in there.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • MailmAn said thank you

#19 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 01:49 PM

LOL! At first I thought this thread was a joke and the "pull behind" you were referring to was the red tractor in the first photo.

#20 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 04:10 PM

Hey Poncho, That really turned out nice. Looks like it belongs behind that tractor. Thanks for the photos.
What's the PU in the back ground?

#21 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 09:50 AM

Nice work! Did you make the hitch to be able to offset to the side? I would want to do something like this to cut off to the side of the path my midmount already cuts - cutting two strips at once.... If the hitch offsets, can you post a picture of that? Thanks!

#22 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 05:11 PM

I did build an offset hitch , dont know if I ever would use it much....

Posted Image
  • MH81 and Tennblue59 have said thanks

#23 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 06:34 PM

Nice project. I actually did something like this with a pushmower. Made a setup that you took off the front wheels of the pushmower and it fit right on with a large caster wheel in the front. People would stop and laugh watching a wacko pulling a pushmower with a riding tractor. Worked until I got the mowerdeck patched so it was holding together enough to mow. Fun stuff.

I know it is a bit of a haul, but I have got a engine I am wanting to sell. 16 hp B&S opposed twin Vertical shaft. It was on our mowing tractor up until the deck pulleys went beginning of this summer. I have not started it since. If your interested let me know.

#24 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 03:38 PM

I am going to revive this project, I have a different donor now. It almost looks to nice to cannibalize. 

IMAG0207.jpg

Edited by Chuck_050382, May 01, 2013 - 03:40 PM.

#25 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,737 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 05:03 PM

If I could find a 60 inch deck I would build a pull behind.

#26 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted May 02, 2013 - 08:03 AM

I have a 42"? I am going to make into an offset pull behind. May be a while yet, though.

#27 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted May 02, 2013 - 09:07 PM

Nice project. I actually did something like this with a pushmower. Made a setup that you took off the front wheels of the pushmower and it fit right on with a large caster wheel in the front. People would stop and laugh watching a wacko pulling a pushmower with a riding tractor.

It is funny that you mention this since my next door neighbor growing up did the same exact thing to his tractor.  He still has the rig and puts his little 22" push mower with the big rear wheels into this custom frame he rigged up to his tractor. He replaced the front wheels of the push mower with caster wheels so it will go around corners without tearing up the lawn.  He even made a release mechanism on the frame so he could remove the mower to trim around trees with and then lock the mower back in place to continue mowing with the tractor.  Seems to be pretty handy to me.  He offset it to the right near the tractor deck's discharge opening.  He does look goofy when he is out mowing with his setup (especially wearing his trademark straw hat riding on the tractor) and he gets a lot of looks by passers-by, but I like his design and his ingenuity making something like that.  Of course, he worked as a mechanical engineer for like Kodak or Xerox all of his life (I forget exactly where he worked, it was a long time ago and he has been retired for many years...)  He even had an old Bolens tractor at one point.  I forget which model it was, but I know he had engine problems with the old Wisconsin engine on it and ended up getting a different tractor.

Edited by MailmAn, May 02, 2013 - 09:07 PM.