• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sknap83 OFFLINE  

sknap83

• Member No: 5244
  • 3 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted August 01, 2011 - 10:44 PM

My wife out of all people came home to tell me of a 240 for sale. This is to new for me to know anything about. Are they good tractors? It has a 48 inch deck on it and is a litle rusty but in great shape other wise. Its for sale for 300.00. Thats why my wife told me about it because it looked newer than anything I have and was cheaper than I paid. And I thought I was dead for buying 4 tractors in a month. 3 came from when she was gone for a couple of days. Any info would be great. Not that I really need it but I am considering buying it. If for nothing more touching up the rust and selling it. Is it comparable to my 300 series or more like my 214. Thanks in advance

#2 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted August 02, 2011 - 06:12 AM

The 240 is part of the series that replaced your 214 (and the 210, 212, 216). It's a lawn and garden tractor and the differences between it and the older 200 series like your 214 is significant. It has a 14 hp vertical Kawasaki single cylinder engine (the older 200 series had the cast iron Kohler K-series single cylinder engines). It has a 5 speed gear drive transmission instead of the variable drive, Peerless transmissions of the older 200 series. It will be a little lighter and perhaps not as durable. But it is still a nice tractor, and probably a better mowing machine than the older 200 series with tighter turning radius, better ergonomics, and more refined. Attachments for the older 200 series will not fit the 240. The 240 was made from 1988 to 1992. I hope that helps.
  • KennyP and JDBrian have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,521 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted August 02, 2011 - 06:24 AM

Good info you have posted. I'm learning a few things about these 'green' tractors just by reading your posts. Thank you!

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 02, 2011 - 08:04 AM

The 240 is part of the series that replaced your 214 (and the 210, 212, 216). It's a lawn and garden tractor and the differences between it and the older 200 series like your 214 is significant. It has a 14 hp vertical Kawasaki single cylinder engine (the older 200 series had the cast iron Kohler K-series single cylinder engines). It has a 5 speed gear drive transmission instead of the variable drive, Peerless transmissions of the older 200 series. It will be a little lighter and perhaps not as durable. But it is still a nice tractor, and probably a better mowing machine than the older 200 series with tighter turning radius, better ergonomics, and more refined. Attachments for the older 200 series will not fit the 240. The 240 was made from 1988 to 1992. I hope that helps.

Thanks for this info. I have not encountered a 240 before. There is a gap in my knowledge between the older machines and the newer one from the late 90's on up. As the GT's changed from generation to generation the construction methods changed and the weight is much less for a new 500 series for instance than for a 318. Your comments on ergonomics are spot on.

#5 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted August 02, 2011 - 08:43 AM

Here are pictures I found of a 1991 240. The 240 is similar to a 265, except it's a gear drive while the 265 is hydro, and the 240 has a 14 hp versus the 265's 17 hp, both Kawasaki single cylinder engines. The engine found in the 240 is the same as the 170, 175 lawn tractors and the LX172, LX173, and LX176, and maybe the GT242 (I'm not sure about that last).

79162554.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 79162556.jpg

#6 sknap83 OFFLINE  

sknap83

• Member No: 5244
  • 3 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted August 02, 2011 - 09:29 AM

Great description. I dont know if I am going to go for it or not. I cant make up my mind. Its a nice tractor but if its equivalent to my 214 which is just a toy now why go for it. My mowing time is cut in half with the 316. I mow about 3 acres. When I mow my trails in the woods its about 5 acres. Im assuming it is worth the 300 bucks and it needs nothing really. There are 2 spots of rust on the fender pan that I would clean up and try to blend. I should probably just go buy it to keep my wife happy. LOL

#7 Sergeant OFFLINE  

Sergeant

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4149
  • 44 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted August 02, 2011 - 07:31 PM

I had a 240 for 12 years The first JD I bought new in 1988 It was a Great Garden tractor as mentioned it a Manual But it is also a Great Tilling Platform I have tilled Gardens all up and down the east Cost and the south with it. The 240 Traveled with me from Duty Station to Duty Station During a good part of my 21.5 years in the Army The Tractor has a spring assist lift which almost feels Like You have Hydraulic lift and it very easily adjusted. The Frame that the 240 is on Became the frame that was used for the JD 320, 325 thru 355 and GX325 Thru GX355. You can still get Most attachments for it from Deere. When it came out You could get a 46inch Front dozer Blade But the replacement Blade that will fit on it now is a 48inch Front Blade, You can still get a 30inch Tiller for it from Deere and I believe the replacement deck for it is Now a 48inch deck if it came with a 46inch deck You can even still get some model of the Power flow Bagger for it and You can even still get a 42inch Single stage snow Blower for it. Which Might Be perfect for Your area You can still get a Integral Hitch for it which is basically the same as the manual lift Integral(sleeve Hitch) for the Current X500 series The Original Integral Hitch(Sleeve Hitch) is No longer available from Deere which I think is a shame Because that one used the tractors internal Spring assist Lift to raise & Lower it But You really couldn't leave the deck Mounted when it was mounted I personally had a 38inch deck, 30inch Tiller, 46inch front Blade and a 42inch Single stage snow Thrower for it. I sold it in 2000 to my cousin in southern Michigan. And the Tractor is still going strong He uses it primarily as a tilling Tractor for His 1 acre Garden or He used it as a Back up Blower Tractor. I think it would be a great addition for You is a very versatile Machine I actually Miss My 240. Never had one single Problem with My 240 I have to say the 240 & the 260 where the Last Great Gear driven Garden Tractors from Deere even Better than the GT242 or GT262 But I guess I would be biased on that statement The GT242 & 262 had Steel front axles and There spring assist was not adjustable for attachments like the 240 thru 285 was.
  • Tmo and JDBrian have said thanks

#8 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted August 04, 2011 - 10:46 AM

I've always had good luck with the kawasaki engines,

They just start easy and run smooth,

#9 realslow OFFLINE  

realslow

• Member No: 5520
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted August 12, 2011 - 08:07 PM

I have used my 240 to mow 3 acres for the past 5 yrs. Bought it then for $500 and no problems at all. I just bought a 30 in mechanical tiller for it and installed it today. I had the deck removed and tiller installed in approx. an hour. I think the previous owner must have had a 240 also, because everything hooked up with no problem except I had to install the rear studs in the frame to hold the tiller. These I made from 1/2 in bolts and spacers, they worked great. Man that thing will throw some dust if its dry! My wife will remind me from now on to wait until after it rains to try out a tiller.

#10 Sergeant OFFLINE  

Sergeant

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4149
  • 44 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 01:32 AM

realslow You don't want to till when its real wet and It shouldn't take You a Hour next time You Install it. If You have the deck off already it should take you about 5min next time:thumbs:

#11 realslow OFFLINE  

realslow

• Member No: 5520
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 07:51 AM

True Sergeant, this time I wasn't even sure I had everything needed to hook the tiller up. My thoughts were I was going to have to buy a different link kit. Yes also to the tilling when it's too wet, I'm originally from Wv experienced with hillside plows, double shovels, single trees, double trees, etc. LOL This stuff looked like sackcrete though, know what I mean? I figured 15 min at the most to remove deck and install tiller, I wouldn't trade this 240 for two new box store tractors.