• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cgreininger1s OFFLINE  

cgreininger1s

• Member No: 5237
  • 1 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted July 31, 2011 - 01:33 PM

The brakes on my John Deere 330 did work, but now they do not. The brake drums have oil on them, so I need to take them off. I tried tapping them with a hammer, to no avail. I then downloaded a service manual and found that u have to take off the axle nut. I do not have a socket that big. Does anybody know what size it is? I can get the right size socket from my uncle who is a mechanic, I just need to know what size to get. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Caleb

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 31, 2011 - 02:42 PM

Welcome to GTTAlk Caleb. If you have a small ruler or a set of dividers you can measure the nut. I don't have a 330 so I can't help with the size. Do you know why the drums are full of oil? If there was no external source for the oil then the axle seals are probably leaking. They may be worn out but there could be another cause. If the vent for the hydro is blocked pressure will build up inside the case and force oil out at the weakest spot. This was happening on my 314 but as soon as I fixed the vent it stopped. You may be able to flush them out with brake cleaner to temporarily get them working again. Hopefully someone with more specific experience will post some help.