3 replies to this topic

#1 iron Mike OFFLINE  

iron Mike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5236
  • 36 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted July 31, 2011 - 10:59 AM

I have a Suburban SS16 Twin and I can't figure out the timing. Book says"25 BTDC,rotate 90 degrees.(Flywheel)? Also says that test light will go out when points break. My light comes on when the points break. I worked all day yesterday and cannot get the timing at 25BTDC when points start to open. Can anyone help? Did I miss something? Any help will be appreciated. Iron Mike

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,656 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted July 31, 2011 - 12:00 PM

Take off the rubber intake boot going to the flywheel shroud. You can then turn the flywheel until you see a simple raised timing mark on the flywheel. The degree marks are on the timing gear cover. I just unhook the points wire from the coil, then hook up one lead from an ohm meter to the points wire, the other to block. When the points break, it will show open circuit. Not sure what that book is talking about with the 90 degrees.
BUT, ALL my Onan manuals for the BF engine call for 21 degrees BTDC, so that is likely your problem.
  • iron Mike said thank you

#3 iron Mike OFFLINE  

iron Mike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5236
  • 36 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted August 01, 2011 - 12:45 AM

Thanks for the info. That book said to line up timing marks at 25BTDC then rotate another 90 degrees,set the points 0.25,then rotate counter clockwise till the points close,hook up the light and rotate just until the light went outand check to see if the timing marks were lined up again at the 25 BTDC. Made me crazy trying to do that and never did get it right. I most certainly do it as you suggested. Sounds a lot simpler and logical. Thank you very much. I M

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,656 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 01, 2011 - 09:20 AM

Never heard such a timing procedure. My manuals are all simple & straight forward like most any other engine timing procedure.

Edited by olcowhand, August 01, 2011 - 09:36 AM.

• iron Mike said thank you