• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 09:45 AM

The fact that Mac's are all built and supported by one company is a definite benefit IMO and is one factor that makes them much more dependable then a PC which is typically made up of parts from many different manufacturers. MAC's just work without issues and for many people that is what they want and will spend the extra $ to get it. Other people actually like to play with their PC's, solve problems and add mod's to improve performance etc. They really wouldn't like a MAC because part of the experience for them is the problem solving and education they get when they use their PC's. There is another group that uses PC's and is constantly frustrated with them. My dad is in this group and is constantly being blindsided by some sort of PC issue that he has to get help with. I think he is convinced to go with a MAC next time.

Edited by JDBrian, January 15, 2012 - 03:32 PM.

#17 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 10:01 AM

To me Mac's are expensive and you are limited on replacement part you can just go out and buy. Usually you have to go back to apple to either get it fixed or get the part. Since the OS X uses the Linux kernel and the Gnome desktop I do not see any real reason to get one. In fact with the advent of app launchers like Docky and Advest <sp?> my desktop looks like and behaves like a Mac. Please don't take any offense this is just my perspective.

This is not true OSX is based on Darwin which is UNIX, in fact OSX is one of just a handful of Certifed UNIX Systems out there. Linux on the hand is not UNIX, but a UNIX like system, I have used both, I used to write software for a Linix based Firewall project.

My iMac will be 6 years old this year and still runs good, but it is pushed to the max now.