jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted July 31, 2011 - 08:55 AM

Use Macs almost exclusively at work (school) but PCs at home.

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 03, 2011 - 07:28 AM

I have only used a Mac once, and that was a friends laptop. I am familiar with Linux so with the Mac operating systems it isn't too difficult to learn. I just don't like their prices.

#4 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted August 03, 2011 - 09:59 AM

The software is nice. The hardware quality is inconsistent

#5 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted August 03, 2011 - 11:39 AM

The software is nice. The hardware quality is inconsistent

I have to disagree with that statement - my iMac has outlasted any PC that I've owned without any hardware issues at all. I wish my company would ditch the PCs and use the Macs instead. The only drawback to owning a Mac is software compatibility as most software is written for the PC world.

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 03, 2011 - 11:54 AM

I gotta say my favorite computers are the ones I build. I know what is in them, I control what goes on it. If I want windows I can have windows, if I want linux I can have that too. Plus each part is replaceable easily.

#7 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted August 03, 2011 - 02:04 PM

Very easily, no proprietary parts.

Best thing about Apple has to be the magnetic power jacks. Replace too many power jacks from people snagged and tugging on them

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 04, 2011 - 04:35 AM

I was a PC user for many years. My BIL is a network analyst and got me into Mac's. I am running a Mini mostly for music serving. We also have a PC and I use them at work.

#9 buck50bmg OFFLINE  

buck50bmg

• Member No: 5231
  • 1 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted August 04, 2011 - 06:48 AM

Yea I was a MCSE in 4.0, 2000, 2003 and a CCNA. Got Burned out. Left the industry in 2004 and bought a mac, never looked back. I have one xp box in my workshop, debating if I should fork over the money and buy a new mini.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted August 04, 2011 - 07:10 AM

Used Macs in college. Found them to be good for graphics, but the DOS emulator we had was a POS. You'd get something tweaked to run on one machine, and then it wouldn't run on some of the others.

At home, we have pc units. All XP. My wife got an iPad, but it's only good for surfing, replies, etc. Uploading pics is a PITA if at all possible, and the lack of a flash player ticks me off. Thank goodness GTT isn't flash based :D

#11 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,601 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted November 05, 2011 - 09:27 AM

How did I miss this?

I built my first computer in the spring of 1993 - 386 dx33, 4 megs of ram, 20 meg hard drive and 14" monitor. I have build every PC we have owned since then. I love the hardware research and assembly. These machines ran everything - Win 3.11, Win95, Win98, Win NT 4.0, Win2000, XPPro and Win7. I owned one Vista machine and it was a pain in my _____. Eventually installed XPPro to get away from Vista. Now all the machines in the house not running OSX are running Win7 (workstation/file server and home theater PC hooked to the tv)

I switched to a Mac during grad school. I bought an 12" iBook that I could used to take class notes. I could go the entire day of classes on one charge and weighed less than 5 lbs. Other than the sharp 2-week learning curve it was a painless switch. Six years that iBook is still being used with the projector at the church to show DVDs for youth ministry.

I upgraded to an aluminum 13" Macbook after school and upgraded my wife from a PC to a 13" MBP spring. Eventually my house will be a Windows-free zone with a Mac Mini replacing the HTPC and a Network storage device replacing the file server. I tried a hackintosh for a while but gave up on it. I am a hardware guy, not a software lover.

#12 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted November 17, 2011 - 08:44 PM

I have a 2006 Intel iMac, HATE Windows with a passion. My Mac just works, love it. Plan to buy a new Mini this next spring.

#13 Misterbear OFFLINE  

Misterbear

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7904
  • 5 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted January 08, 2012 - 12:04 PM

I used a PC for over 20 years, ever since the old 8088's. Still use a PC today at work-no choice. Made the switch to a Mac Pro at home 2 years ago. My concern was always using MS Office between the 2. It is seamless. My Macbook Pro is rock solid-no pop-ups, no virus, no issues, and it is perfect!

Just like haveing a garden tractor instead of walking and pushing!

#14 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 08, 2012 - 04:51 PM

I am sure at some point in time we will own a Mac of some sorts. My main pc is running windows 7 pro, I skipped vista because of all the horrid stories I heard about.

The home server is running Fedora 15. It is used for doing the backups of the site and as a file server for the home network.

#15 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 09:27 AM

To me Mac's are expensive and you are limited on replacement part you can just go out and buy. Usually you have to go back to apple to either get it fixed or get the part. Since the OS X uses the Linux kernel and the Gnome desktop I do not see any real reason to get one. In fact with the advent of app launchers like Docky and Advest <sp?> my desktop looks like and behaves like a Mac. Please don't take any offense this is just my perspective.