• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 11, 2010 - 08:08 PM

I got the blade on, I need to replace all fluids and filters, adjust the HI/LO lever just a tad. I'll take the blade off this fall and prime and paint it. the tires are 8-16 and that translate to a 205r16 so I'll pick up a set of studded chains before winter. I can buy them new for 80 buck including shiping

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF1239..jpg
  • DSCF1241..jpg
  • DSCF1240..jpg

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 12, 2010 - 06:47 PM

I'd love to get my hands on one of those.

#3 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 12, 2010 - 11:06 PM

Notice the BRAND new saw tooth 8-16 tires, any ideas what kind of front tires I should get

#4 mastifflawyer OFFLINE  

mastifflawyer

Tractorholic

• Member No: 261
  • 43 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted April 18, 2010 - 01:56 PM

Notice the BRAND new saw tooth 8-16 tires, any ideas what kind of front tires I should get

Do you plan on using the tractor for pushing snow only? Jack

#5 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 18, 2010 - 02:36 PM

Do you plan on using the tractor for pushing snow only? Jack

No I don't, I really want something that will match up well with the rear tires, why you got something in mind? BTW, Welcome to the group from the GTtalk staff and group. Interesting name, do you represent Mastiff's? do you also have a Case tractor.

#6 mastifflawyer OFFLINE  

mastifflawyer

Tractorholic

• 43 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted April 18, 2010 - 03:06 PM

No I don't, I really want something that will match up well with the rear tires, why you got something in mind? BTW, Welcome to the group from the GTtalk staff and group. Interesting name, do you represent Mastiff's? do you also have a Case tractor.

Thanks for the welcome. I have not had to represent the Mastiffs yet, and I have been keeping them for about 25 years now.

I have Colt, Case & Ingersoll tractors.

If you were going to just push snow I would recommend Carlisle Snow Hogs. They also make an Xtrac. Take a look at them on Ebay. $39 BIN. I have them on a walk behind blower and do not use chains. Many case owners keep separate wheels for mowing and snow removal. Jack

#7 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 19, 2010 - 10:37 PM

I'm getting chains for the rear? can I run a taller tire on the front, maybe a 10 inch wheel, I saw some nice trailer tires, that I can also find chains for. I think it would look better with taller tires/ bigger rims.

#8 mastifflawyer OFFLINE  

mastifflawyer

Tractorholic

• 43 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted April 20, 2010 - 05:21 AM

I'm getting chains for the rear? can I run a taller tire on the front, maybe a 10 inch wheel, I saw some nice trailer tires, that I can also find chains for. I think it would look better with taller tires/ bigger rims.

I cannot remember ever seeing larger front tires on anything except the 600 series. I would suggest that you not mess with 40+ years of engineering and satisfied owners. Certainly your steering would be affected, and the tires would rub on some decks. If you want something that looks cool in my opinion look at tri-ribs. You may have seen them on larger tractors like 8Ns. Jack

#9 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 24, 2010 - 10:17 PM

I cannot remember ever seeing larger front tires on anything except the 600 series. I would suggest that you not mess with 40+ years of engineering and satisfied owners. Certainly your steering would be affected, and the tires would rub on some decks. If you want something that looks cool in my opinion look at tri-ribs. You may have seen them on larger tractors like 8Ns. Jack

I'll agree with everything you say, I wont be using a mower deck. If I can find a slightly taller, somwhat narrower tire, I may go that route. I really want something that looks appropriate with the rear tires and the tractor as a whole. I'd really like the same saw tooth pattern that's on the rear

#10 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 25, 2010 - 08:15 AM

18x8.50/8 would look good on it, and hardly affect the steering at all. If intending to sell some day, just hang onto the stock rims in case the new owner wants it back to OE. As to not messing with the engineering....I love to make tractors suit myself, not the masses, but then I'm not selling either, I'm keeping mine to use. Most buyers wouldn't be put off at all with just a rim swap, but if alterations are needed to fit a non OE part, then it might be a problem.

#11 mastifflawyer OFFLINE  

mastifflawyer

Tractorholic

• 43 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted April 29, 2010 - 05:56 AM

18x8.50/8 would look good on it, and hardly affect the steering at all. If intending to sell some day, just hang onto the stock rims in case the new owner wants it back to OE. As to not messing with the engineering....I love to make tractors suit myself, not the masses, but then I'm not selling either, I'm keeping mine to use. Most buyers wouldn't be put off at all with just a rim swap, but if alterations are needed to fit a non OE part, then it might be a problem.

Please don't misunderstand me, I am all for doing whatever you feel like trying with your own tractor, except perhaps painting it green. I guess when I look at the picture of the Op's tractor I see OE tires which gives me a comfortable feeling. To me OE is cool. I have many other tire combinations on my tractors, but I like the OE best. I mentioned snow hogs because they do a far better job in snow. But I used the OE (look like golf cart) fronts for quite a few winters, and even though they slide a bit, it just gives me a bit more tractor time.
OCH is right about keeping the original parts handy if ever a sale is contemplated. Jack

#12 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 29, 2010 - 07:14 AM

I like the idea of tri-ribs on the front. My Cub 125 has the tris on the front and I really like them and I am not worried about tearing up the yard with them because the cub doesn't turn sharp enough to do any damage and even if it did I would just make wider turns. I like seeing the skinnies on the front :D

#13 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 29, 2010 - 09:05 PM

We don't get much snow, I think saw tooth or tri-ribs/five ribs

#14 mastifflawyer OFFLINE  

mastifflawyer

Tractorholic

• 43 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted April 30, 2010 - 05:03 AM

I was mowing yesterday and the 4020 has the five rib fronts. The ridges are pretty deep and stand out and I was thinking about this discussion. I have decided that they look very cool...Jack

#15 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 30, 2010 - 05:38 PM

I was mowing yesterday and the 4020 has the five rib fronts. The ridges are pretty deep and stand out and I was thinking about this discussion. I have decided that they look very cool...Jack

Yep I agree, five ribs it is, thanks, Mike