• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 projectnut OFFLINE  

projectnut

• Member No: 5067
  • 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted July 29, 2011 - 08:25 AM

I've been slowly tearing apart my "new" Case 224 as part of the inspection and refurbishing project. I had to replace a couple hoses to the oil cooler so I drained the system and cleaned the cooler. I noticed the manual calls for 20W-40 oil for temps above 32*F and 5W 20 for temps below 32*F. It's almost impossible to find 20W 40 in these parts. I've been able to find 20W 50 and 15W 40. I have several gallons of Rotella 15W 40 in stock. I'm wondering if this is an acceptable substitute. Any input would be helpful

Thanks, projectnut

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted July 29, 2011 - 08:50 AM

PN, Shell Rotella 15w40 is EXACTLY what you want to use!

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 29, 2011 - 09:51 AM

Rotella 15w-40 is great oil and should suit your needs perfect as Daniel mentioned. It is all I ever used in our big trucks, granted off topic and not related one bit LOL.

#4 bhildret OFFLINE  

bhildret

• Member No: 1803
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 30, 2011 - 10:17 PM

I agree ... 15W40 is the right choice ...

Brian
  • mikebramel said thank you

#5 ROADSTER5580 OFFLINE  

ROADSTER5580

• Member No: 7654
  • 3 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 10:26 AM

Although Rotella is the #1 selling diesel oil in the world, 80% of all Rotella sold is in 1 gallon jugs...... "Truck Stop Oil". I've been a diesel mechanic for 40+ years and I'm currently the head of maintenance on a fleet of 1,000 motor coaches (buses). I run oil analyses on every oil drain. I get much better performance out of Mobil Delvac Super 1300.

I've run Delvac Super 1300 out to 30,000 mile drain intervals with about 40% idle time on my buses. The best I've ever got out of Rotella is 21,000 miles and then the total base number (TBN) starts to drop. Rotella has a 10.6 base number right out of the jug - - Delvac 1300 has 10.5 At 30,000 miles, Delvac 1300 will drop into the high 9's. At 20,000 miles Rotella drop's into the high 8's. A 1.5 to 2.0 drop in TBN means its time to change.

Rotella diesel oil is like Penzoil automotive oil... It sells really good due to marketing, it is not bad oil, but it is not the oil of choice for most professional Fleet Managers looking to extend drain intervals in a tough operating environment. With a fleet that turns 100 million miles per year, Delvac Super 1300 saves me 1429 oil changes per year ($285,714 @ $200 per drain part+labor) because the TBN number holds up longer than Rotella.

IMHO - I prefer Mobil Delvac Super 1300 over Rotella for two reasons ....... 1) I've spent 10,000's of $$$$ on oil analyses to know 2) I've got a 1,000 gallon bulk tank sitting at the shop where my office is located.
  • mikebramel, mjodrey and coldone have said thanks

#6 Guest_ACguy1994_*

Guest_ACguy1994_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted December 04, 2011 - 10:49 PM

consider hygard maybe. it should work in that application. its great quality.

#7 KBear OFFLINE  

KBear

Garden Tractor Nerd

• Member No: 1459
  • 89 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted December 05, 2011 - 04:21 PM

ROADSTER5580 and ACguy1994 - The OP is talking about oil in the hydraulic system on a Case Garden tractor not the crankcase or transaxle oils. Just so you're more aware and for future reference Colt, Case and Ingersoll LGTs use motor oil in their respective hydraulic systems NOT transmission or hydraulic oils.

As bhildret, NUTNDUN and olcowhand have stated Shell Rotella 15W40 is the oil to use and is the most popular oil Case LGT owners use upon direction from Ingersoll dealers.

Kenneth
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#8 Guest_ACguy1994_*

Guest_ACguy1994_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted December 05, 2011 - 07:59 PM

001.jpg well i dont have my reading glasses on, whats the word below transmission on the bottle?

Attached Thumbnails

• 003.jpg

#9 Guest_ACguy1994_*

Guest_ACguy1994_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted December 05, 2011 - 08:00 PM

also this stuff looks and smells more like motor oil then anything else. its not red like tranny fluid. but its different.

#10 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted December 05, 2011 - 08:16 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25961[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]25962[/ATTACH]well i dont have my reading glasses on, whats the word below transmission on the bottle?

Think you will learn over time it pays to follow MFG. recommendations. I have a Case 1835B skid steer and it also calls for 15W/40 diesel oil along with a TCH anti-foaming additive. Some of the metals in the Hydro-static pump and motors will not get the correct lubrication with a "Tractor Hydraulic" oils. It is a 1985 and had 1 motor put in it due to a broken output shaft. (POs Abuse)
Any Case/IH dealer will tell you this when you ask for oil for that model.
It is probably not a good idea to my lubricate recommendation with out all the information. So people my follow an incorrect recommendation and have a very expensive failure.
  • Bolens 1000 and Toolpartzman have said thanks

#11 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted December 05, 2011 - 09:42 PM

also this stuff looks and smells more like motor oil then anything else. its not red like tranny fluid. but its different.

You might as well taste it too. :puke2: You are advising an improper oil for the OP's GT based on looks & smell. That doesn't fly here! :wallbanging:
  • ducky, KBear and Toolpartzman have said thanks

#12 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted December 05, 2011 - 09:43 PM

Some of these Case still have the tags on the oil tank. which say 20-40W motor oil
  • ducky said thank you

#13 ROADSTER5580 OFFLINE  

ROADSTER5580

• Member No: 7654
  • 3 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted December 06, 2011 - 09:10 AM

KBear - I was well aware of where the oil was located when I posted and I stand by what I said. Cummins "recommends" their Big Blue brand for their $25,000 2010 ISX engine. Caterpillar "recommends" their own Cat Brand oil for their $35,00 2010 C-15. I've also tested both those oils through controlled testing and Mobil Delvac 1300 out performs either one. I was under the impression the purpose of a forum like this was to share ideas and experiences?

I'll spend around $30,000 of my companies money by the end of this year on oil analysis testing various 15W40 motor oils. I thought the results of that testing would be a nice thing to share on this forum, with my 2nd post, since very few guys can actually afford that kind of information.

I wasn't aware "Shell Rotella 15W40 is the oil to use and is the most popular oil Case LGT owners use upon direction from Ingersoll dealers". Sorry if I have attacked a "sacred cow" in the form of the accepted thoughts surrounding Rotella on this forum, but I do have about 3,300 oil tests results sitting in a filing cabinet across the room, as I type this reply, that says something different about Rotella. I've got $22,000,000 worth of engines to maintain at the moment that use 15W40 motor oil and I can't afford to be wrong about this subject, or just go by what someone else tells me.

I've shared what I know, which I hope is the spirit of this forum. You can either consider what I've said or stick with what makes you comfortable. There are much better products on the market than Rotella..... My experience (and $30,000 worth of test results) has shown me Modil Delvac Super 1300 is one of them. Take this information and use it, or stick with "the most popular oil Case LGT owners use upon direction from Ingersoll dealers". The choice is yours.

#14 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted December 06, 2011 - 11:52 AM

Roadster, being this oil is not being used in an engine, especially without the severe heat of a turbo, I don't think even if Shell Rotella isn't as good an engine oil as the Mobil Delvac that it should perform just as well & have a long life. I'm not doubting Delvac as a great oil, just I am not familiar with it.
I will say that your posts sound more like a Mobil oil dealer rather than someone who hobbies in garden tractors????

#15 Guest_ACguy1994_*

Guest_ACguy1994_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted December 06, 2011 - 03:48 PM

well whos to say hygard cant be an alternative. i get an infraction for suggesting a possible choice. if hygard wasnt around back when the case 400 series were made, how do you know its not a worthy substitute?