Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Helmets! I'm not talkin motorcycles either! I'm talkin while cuttin wood!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted July 28, 2011 - 10:50 PM

Was out with my Grandpa today, we planned on harvesting some oak for a project and we found out a storm we had gotten a week or so earlier has buried our trail and at the other end was two fallen oaks perfect for our project. Spent all day clearing 600ft of trail and was on the way out with a load of wood for our wood boiler, didn't think anything but "gosh, this helmet is heavy and hot!" as I reached up.... And one of those famous "widow makers" came down nailed me good... had I moved my hand a second earlier I would have a 10ft long, by 2-3inch diameter tree limb sticking out of my head... My helmet, not even a scratch! I'm thinking I need to rename "widow maker", since I can't widow any one.. so I'll call it the tractor piercer! We had one earlier on our way into the woods come down and punch a hole through our trailer... an old '41 ford pick up box...

If your going out to the woods... BRING A HELMET!!! AND WEAR IT! ESPECIALLY WHEN FELLING TREES AND CLEANING UP FALLEN TREES! even a bicycle helmet will work... I had a head ache for a while after that and decided to call it a night at 3:30pm...

They helmet was a joke when I got it as a gift, but it's the best gift I can think of that I have gotten so far... considering I'm typing you this from my bed here at my grandparents farm and not a hospital or some one is typing you guys a note that I died while clearing trees.

#2 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted July 29, 2011 - 05:35 AM

With face screen & hearing protection!!!

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted July 29, 2011 - 06:05 AM

Very glad you're ok Bill. How's the headache?

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted July 29, 2011 - 07:30 AM

Glad to hear your ok!!!

#5 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted July 29, 2011 - 07:34 AM

Glad to here you are OK.
Safety pays.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 29, 2011 - 07:43 AM

Glad you are OK. Safety is drilled into us at work so I try to wear all the safety equipment when felling trees and using a chain saw. Helmet with screen and ear protection, chain saw pants, boots and gloves. It makes it mighty hot this time of year.
When I got my first saw I bought all the safety gear. Started the saw, set the idle and went to work. As the motor broke in the idle increaed to the point that the chain was moving. I didn't notice it and while carrying the saw the blade hit my knee. The pads in the pants stopped the chain instantly and prevented a big chunk being removed from my knee. Since then I never use a saw without the pants and I always engage the chain brake when carrying it while idleing.

#7 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted July 29, 2011 - 06:10 PM

head ache went away over night... Thankfully but my neck was a little sore this morning and that's better now.

The only safety equipment I can't stand are the chaps, They are one of the best things they came up with but I can't do it. I bought a pair, put em on and noticed they were really stiff.... PITA, ended up tripping a few times because my range of motion was almost zero. Ended up selling them to some kid for $25... he was happy and I was able to walk comfortably again. If I could find a lighter set I would buy them, these were probably an inch thick.

#8 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 30, 2011 - 08:02 AM

Very glad you're OK Bill! Watch the stiff neck though. An impact like that can cause some compression issues in the neck. A visit to the Chiropractor might be in order. Smart to wear a helmet whenever there are falling debris possible! Be careful out there!

#9 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,415 Thanks
  • 2,118 posts

Posted July 30, 2011 - 08:46 AM

Glad to here you are OK.
Safety pays.

I agree with Ducky on that one. Glad you are ok.

#10 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted July 30, 2011 - 03:10 PM

Thanks guys! I'm fine now, woke up and all is well, if it weren't so humid right now we would be back at it. when it's 80% humidity in the fields, it's bound to be more in the woods.... the ground is saturated on the other part of our property, witch does not help matters any.

#11 mjay OFFLINE  

mjay

• Member No: 1209
  • 6 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted August 03, 2011 - 01:13 AM

Hi Bill,

with regards to the chaps, get a pair such as those tree climbers use. They will be expensive, but cheaper than a wheelchair if you cut your leg off. Accidents with chainsaws are rarely trivial.

I work in the forestry industry (thankfully not on the front line as such). Most customers have some sort of war wound. Even though I spend most my time behind a desk I still have 2 fingers that have been crushed by machinery.
I'm not one for telling people how to go about their life, but there is a reason why they make so much chainsaw protective gear!