5 replies to this topic

#1 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted July 28, 2011 - 08:38 AM

i went and picked up the cub cadet 2135. the engine has some issues. i dont plan on keeping this tractor around but if i at least got it to run properly then i could get more money for the engine. the problem with this engine is that is blows oil out of the breather and into the air cleaner housing. does this indicate bad scoring/rings/blowby or is there something wrong with the breather. engine only has 361 hours, but hasnt had the best maintiance. my stepfather is not really a believer in oil changes, but i know he would never run it out of oil or too low on oil. i might just decided to part the engine out, but not sure yet. other than blowing oil out of the breather it seems to run OK.

#2 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted July 28, 2011 - 10:04 AM

If the engine has only had the oil changed a couple times or run without an air filter the cylinder could be scored hence your problems

#3 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,295 Thanks
  • 2,331 posts

Posted July 28, 2011 - 11:15 AM

She could have a blown head gasket or 2 or the breather could be sticking or worn rings from not changing the oil or the valve guides could be worn.

Head gaskets are rather thin between the cylinder and the channel that the push rods go through on the commands.
Rings are around $40 head gaskets are around $40 for the set Breathers can be cleaned and Valve guides are fairly simple to replace.

A compression test will tell you if the rings or head gasket is at fault.

Personally I wanted your engine to repower my Cub 127.I like old lumpy Kohlers to but there's just something about having an older machine with a Modern engine in it.If I could afford one of those $3000 35hp twins MAN it would be 1 heck of a tractor.

Edited by EricFromPa, July 28, 2011 - 11:22 AM.

#4 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted July 28, 2011 - 11:35 AM

She could have a blown head gasket or 2 or the breather could be sticking or worn rings from not changing the oil or the valve guides could be worn.

Head gaskets are rather thin between the cylinder and the channel that the push rods go through on the commands.
Rings are around $40 head gaskets are around $40 for the set Breathers can be cleaned and Valve guides are fairly simple to replace.

A compression test will tell you if the rings or head gasket is at fault.

Personally I wanted your engine to repower my Cub 127.I like old lumpy Kohlers to but there's just something about having an older machine with a Modern engine in it.If I could afford one of those $3000 35hp twins MAN it would be 1 heck of a tractor.

i maybe had thoughts of installing this engine on a narrow or wide frame myself. how involved is it? its not a drop in place deal is it? would it fit inside the frame rails? would the driveshaft line up? would the electric PTO setup work on the older tractors? the command engines seem to have as much power as the old k series but runs quieter and smoother. however at 361 hours and worn out i cant say too much about durability. i do know it was neglected so if it was cared for better the results maybe have turned out different. i know the old k series will take allot of abuse, i have seen plenty that didnt have their oil changed properly and they still ran

Edited by ad356, July 28, 2011 - 11:41 AM.

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,295 Thanks
  • 2,331 posts

Posted July 29, 2011 - 03:34 AM

Wide frame like a 782 yes it will drop in.Narrow frame will need to have the frame cut out and widened.The overall width from PTO shaft to flywheel screen should be pretty close.If you were to stick it on a Hydro,say a 127 like mine,you could cut the driveshaft and slide it back as far as you would need.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted July 29, 2011 - 06:47 AM

Has it been sitting for a while? If so, you may be looking at sticky rings. There are several guys who have run some ATF in their oil and gotten the rings cleared.

I was talking with Dad about that process, and he told me a story about his Dads TO20. The ag program in the fall of 1962 decided to ask area farmers to borrow their tractors for an experiment.
The tractors each had a compression test done, then they drained the oil, filled them up with 10 wt and let them run for 20 minutes. At the end of 20 minutes, they drained the oil again and refilled with correct weight. A following compression test showed every engine had had an increase in compression. To the best of my Dads recollection, this was all non-detergent oil.
In my Dads 20, it was substantial ( he couldn't remember the exact numbers, but remembers being impressed) and every tractor ran better, more power, less oil usage etc. I will give it a few days and ask again, maybe time will jog the numbers loose.

I don't know how the newer engines would like it, but would be an interesting experiment to run sometime.